+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Summer clearout

Summer clearout

Out of contract, or loans ending, this summer, we have...

GKs
    Craig Samson
    Russell Griffiths

Defence:
    David Ferguson
    Joe Chalmers
    Zak Jules

Midfield:
    Lionel Ainsworth
    Keith Lasley
    Lee Lucas
    Stephen Pearson

Strikers:
    Scott McDonald
    James McFadden
    Craig Moore

Unlike some of our previous summers, I think - hope at least - it's fairly clear that we're in for a big change.

I guess Samson may stay if we think we can't find anything better, though we really should be trying to upgrade him.

Chalmers and Jules are obviously out the door, Ferguson arguably deserves another year.

None of the midfielders should be playing for us next season, if Lasley is happy to retire he can obviously continue coaching.

McDonald I'd be tempted to offer a year to, Faddy needs to admit the dream of returning is over and focus on his coaching and Moore is obviously getting punted.

So out of 12, I think we'll keep no more than 2-3.

Beyond that, Moult will likely be sold - so that's a big gap to be filled (and really why I think we should keep McDonald). Cadden would have been in the shop window too but his downturn in form probably means it's better holding on to January now.

Even if Robinson keeps us up, he's going to have some task over summer...but given our performances this season, I think it's more of an opportunity than a risk.

Agree 100% the squad is dire and apart from Cadden ,Moult and McDonald (& excl youth team players) the rest can all leave with my blessing inc McManus. Id also try and steal Ally Crawford and Imrie (i Know , I Know) off Accies , whether we like Imrie or not he could do more for us than some of the players in our ranks. Both of whom with one leg would offer more than Pearson.
    Last edited by steviex; 16-04-2017 at 03:41 PM.

McManus is under contract so we have him and Hammell come what may...Crawford would be a great signing.

I get what you say about Imrie......But i hate that wee fud with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    I get what you say about Imrie......But i hate that wee fud with a passion.
    Aye - Samson, Ferguson n McDonald are the only ones we should be courting, although, I feel Skippy may have had a 'handshake' deal that he can go back to Oz in Summer.
    As for Imrie coming to FP ... there's only so much a guy can take! Better not darken our door; I simply loathe the little koont.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Aye - Samson, Ferguson n McDonald are the only ones we should be courting, although, I feel Skippy may have had a 'handshake' deal that he can go back to Oz in Summer.
    As for Imrie coming to FP ... there's only so much a guy can take! Better not darken our door; I simply loathe the little koont.
    Don't worry, Motherwell Football Club's standards and self respect hasn't dropped that low, that they would employ the likes of Dougie Imrie.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)