+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pompey Edge Closer To Promotion

Pompey Edge Closer To Promotion

Portsmouth 1 Plymouth Argyle 1 - External Link

Came home disappointed that we hadn't beaten a pretty average Argyle team in all honesty. We aren't clinical enough, sadly lacking up front and this will need to be addressed before next season. Twice in the first half McCormick spilled shots, no striker there to snaffle them up although Roberts did try to get there. Conor should have done better with his header in the 85th minute, we ought to have at least hit the target with a pair of just outside the box free kicks late on. I am told this is the 3rd season running this Referee has officiated this fixture, he doesn't get any better for me. He claimed the Naismith free kick hit the Argyle players shoulder when it was clearly hand ball. Naismith was yellow carded for diving when he was clearly fouled, nothing seemed to go our way in that 1st half, I am due at Vison Express soon, maybe the Ref will come with me. I cheered up when I heard Luton had surprisingly for me been held at home, what with Stevenage losing it wasn't a bad day but it could and should have been a lot better.

Fair assessment LDB......I enjoyed the game and I think a point was just about a fair result for both teams however it was a shame our possession (especially in the 2nd half) didn't lead to a winner. You could see why Plymouth have a good away record as their defensive organisation was pretty (not really pretty) effective! Anyway well played Cookie and Co.....the Crewe Game appears to have been the turning point (wake up call) and since then the team have played very well. Promotion beckons and the smiles are back on the Fratton Faithful. Its been a long time coming......

The Crewe debacle hurt but yes it changed our season. Since then it has been a different team both in their spirit and tactically. I haven't appreciated Cook's tactics for most of our home games very boring at times, away yes spot on mostly, but if as I expect we do clinch promotion this week I will say well done. I did cringe today when I heard there is a report linking Phil Brown to FP under Mr Eisner should it happen. I know what Corky will say to the idea of Brown (it is only in the crap paper The Sunday Sun I hear thank goodness) arriving and like him, the Southend No 1 would not be for me either.
    Last edited by lovedeanblue; 16-04-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Well done to Pompey

Thank you, Best of Luck next season.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue View Post
    I did cringe today when I heard there is a report linking Phil Brown to FP under Mr Eisner should it happen.
    Indeed. I think Cook deserves to be there at the start of next season. Otherwise it smacks of Birmingham.

Indeed, McInnes is standing down as Chairman but Cook deserves his chance in Div 1 come August.

As well as Cookie and Co........Special Thanks should go to McInnes and the board, NHW's and all the shareholders/fans......this promotion has been well earnt. I wish Ian all the very best........I just hope this means that someone is ready and willing to fill his shoes!

I'll drink to that, Cheers everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)