+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

The way I see negotiations playing out with the eu is that both sides want as much as they can get.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 is free access to the market,control over immigration, no tariffs, no membership costs, etc, etc.

1 is high tarif access to the single market, free movement, membership cost, no say in what goes on, etc, etc.

Negotiation should lead to a 5 or 6, but if the eu think that May is under pressure at home, they will think that they can achieve a 2 or 3 and that the liberals and remainers will force her to accept it. However, if she wins the election with a large majority, the eu will recognise that she has the firm backing of the country and will know that we will prefer no deal rather than anything less than a 5 or 6. Whereas we know that German and French industrialists will be pushing for a deal, even if it's a 7 or 8, rather than no deal which would be extremely damaging to them.

The only problem is that it only takes one small country to insist on a 1 deal, to scupper the whole deal.

Ironically, voting liberal will actually mean voting for a poorer brexit because it would mean undermining our negotiating strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    The only issue is whether she's gonna get just under 400 seats or more
    Really? I think you need to study the way the seats are held, thats not even a remote possibility - but if your that confident put your mortgage on it! Its hard to call but so many factors at play.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Really? I think you need to study the way the seats are held, thats not even a remote possibility - but if your that confident put your mortgage on it! Its hard to call but so many factors at play.
    You're right about do many factors coming into play, it's going to be very interesting to see what the outcome is.

You could get the Tories losing safe London seats because of brexit and snp losing seats in Scotland because of their determination to get independence, whatever the cost.

The polls couldn't get it right when it was relatively simple, they shouldn't even bother this time.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    I don't see the result as a foregone conclusion!! I think the Lib Dems will recover seats in the SW .............. Yes, I can't see anything other than the Tories getting the most seats, not enough though to hold power leaving a hung parliament but allowing labour to form a coalition with the liberals and other parties. This will make Nicola a key player!!
    Ok ignore the polls, but where have you been? Labour to form a coalition? Labour might actually split if Corbyn refuses to resign after a thumping defeat. The British people aren't fools, given chaos under Corbyn and steady albeit boring May, they always choose stability.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    No boundary changes but the militant left takeover of Labour has left a bad taste all round within the party and it's usual voters.
    Many might stay home - a sure fire losing sign in marginals.
    In Scotland it's been a disaster for them. Their only hope is in the midlands and north but the Tories are gaining ground. 370 -375 is a likely figure, but given how inept Labour are, and the first past the post system, it could reach 400 or more. Don't forget Labour did win 417 in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    ...and another thing (sorry!). Why is May so opposed to public debate? Apparently she sees door knocking in Maidenhead as preferable to debating with such political heavyweights as Corbyn, Farron or Nuttall...I bet she does...absolutely pathetic imo. Perhaps June will, as ever, herald the end of May.
    I think you answered your own question. Given the disparity in polls and how inept the others are notably Corbyn and Nutjob, it's they who need as much exposure as possible. There's no benefit talking and debating such fools. Many Labourites cringe at Corbyn's performances at PMQs. A debate would only give him a last opportunity to repair his image. Good try but the Lady's not a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    I think you answered your own question. Given the disparity in polls and how inept the others are notably Corbyn and Nutjob, it's they who need as much exposure as possible. There's no benefit talking and debating such fools. Many Labourites cringe at Corbyn's performances at PMQs. A debate would only give him a last opportunity to repair his image. Good try but the Lady's not a fool.

I agree May is definitely no fool, she doesn't need to take any risks to improve her position. A disastrous debate can only damage the Tories, the others are already seriously damaged and can only gain from a debate.

The debates are a waste of time anyway. I don't really care if someone has a nice personality and can answer the carefully selected questions with the best spin and smile on telly. There's enough of that on BBC Question Time. Leave that sort of thing to the American's.

i dont post these days but i have come out of retirement for you awks you post some utter tosh . the only thing the general electgion will do is giver her a larger majority send labour to oblivion and corbin to retirement and if we are lucky forest down . all the brexit voters will vote conservative to make sure she wins and does what she says. not other way round

Quote Originally Posted by southernram22 View Post
    i dont post these days but i have come out of retirement for you awks you post some utter tosh . the only thing the general electgion will do is giver her a larger majority send labour to oblivion and corbin to retirement and if we are lucky forest down . all the brexit voters will vote conservative to make sure she wins and does what she says. not other way round
    I probably have to agree with everything you wish for except for 1 small bit.
    Lol

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)