+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    I do think Mdm May is a different kind of Tory. Unlike the old Eton boys club, I think she hopes to bring proper meritocracy.
    However in the meantime she can't totally move in that direction given hundreds of years of such practice.

But a whopping majority of her hand picked candidates and the ability to introduce her own style, will afford her the ability to do move the party in that direction.

Why not take a chance with her?
    Yes, good point and that's what I sense, and maybe hope. 'New Tory' anyone?

The problem with the above for the non-conservatives amongst us is that the last conservative leader who was not from the inner circle was...Margaret Thatcher

True, Andy. But I doubt Mrs May is gonna be like Maggie. Maggie needed a 2nd electoral victory before removing the 'Old Tory elite.' May moved immediately to remove Osborne and Gove.

This is election is basically a choice of whether to strengthen her hand and give her a chance to wield greater power and do good.

Or not take the risk, by either undermining her or maintain the status quo.

Given how inept the alternative(s), is/are, I think it's better to give her that chance.
    If she fails then by all means, vote against her in 5 years time.

We've had more than a decade of weak government, from the last days of Blair to Brown to coalition under Cameron.
    It's been 20 years since we gave a party a strong mandate. And indeed in the first 4 years, the new Blair government did rather well.

True, Andy. But I doubt Mrs May is gonna be like Maggie. Maggie needed a 2nd electoral victory before removing the 'Old Tory elite.' May moved immediately to remove Osborne and Gove.

This is election is basically a choice of whether to strengthen her hand and give her a chance to wield greater power and do good.

Given how inept the alternative(s), is/are, I think it's better to give her that chance.

We've had more than a decade of weak government, from the last days of Blair to Brown to coalition under Cameron.
    It's been 20 years since we gave a party a strong mandate. And indeed in the first 4 years, the new Blair government did rather well.
    Agreeing with that sentiment, even though it does sound like the choice between the physical pain of being beaten every day versus the phsychological pain of not knowing whether you are or not.

What though are you proposing to give her a 'strong mandate' for Romanis? A hard or a soft Brexit? A hard or humanitarian stance on existing migrants? Investment in the NHS or it's gradual destruction? Support for education and social care or a move towards Thatcher's stance that, 'there is no such thing as society'?
    We just don't know and as for surrounding herself with like minded Tories...like Johnson, Davies, Fox and Hunt you mean?
    This is probably the most confusing election I can ever remember. Areas that are traditionally Labour were, last June, also very pro Brexit and how those areas vote will be crucial. The traditional opposition leader - aka Labour leader - is woefully weak but that in itself is surely no reason to give May a 'strong mandate'.
    'New Tory' or emperors new clothes? The only thing that Mdm May has convinced me of so far is that she is an opportunist of the first order.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    he only thing that Mdm May has convinced me of so far is that she is an opportunist of the first order.
    She is that, she was also poor as Home Secretary, when she spoke tough on immigration but did nothing to limit non-EU immigration. I can't say I have heard her say anything which suggests she is nothing but a true blue. History shows the |Tories cut public services and put up general taxation for most. They also have a poor economic record, contrary to popular belief.

Latest poll shows Tory lead reduced by massive seven points!! Get in there, now what shall I spend my winnings on??

Jeez, people are easily fooled aren't they?

In what way do you think May will "do good" - this is a politician who has opportunistically gained power by "sitting on the fence" during the referendum (though technically for the in side, she kept out of the limelight) and then got to be PM by virtue of the fact that the other candidates were too foolish, too nasty, too unpalatable to various factions of the Tory party.

The after saying that there should be no election, she does an about turn and calls one claiming its in the "national interest" which is utter *******s! She wants an unfettered hand rather than be held to account by parliament and her own back benchers, so its in her political interest, which is not the same!

As for strong government, what is so wonderful about that? Thats what Turkey has, thats what Germany had under Hitler, how is the ability of one political party to push through unopposed its own ideas good? Germany has had by that definition "weak government" for decades and it does not seem to have done them any harm.

Bad decisions and bad consequences arise when governments have unfettered powers, there was certainly no sign that the Tory/Lib Dem coalition was either weak or did not achieve anything.

There is only one set of the population that any Tory government that will do good for and thats those with the power and the higher income earners, history has shown that to be the case,.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCharlieGeorge View Post
    She is that, she was also poor as Home Secretary, when she spoke tough on immigration but did nothing to limit non-EU immigration. I can't say I have heard her say anything which suggests she is nothing but a true blue. History shows the |Tories cut public services and put up general taxation for most. They also have a poor economic record, contrary to popular belief.
    That belief would not be fostered by a right wing media by any chance?

Just look at how Miliband was slaughtered for proposing a cap on energy prices, yet when May proposes it, its a good thing!

In fact the Tories have stolen many of labours policies over the psst few elections!

Make up your mind Wolfie Smith, I mean swale, first you say that Tories only look after the rich, then in your very next post you say that they've stolen many of labours ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Make up your mind Wolfie Smith, I mean swale, first you say that Tories only look after the rich, then in your very next post you say that they've stolen many of labours ideas.
    "Honest politics and Tory politics are a contradiction in terms. Lying is a necessary part of a Tory’s political equipment, for it is essential for him to conceal his real intentions from the people. This is partly the reason for his success in keeping power" - Nye Bevan

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)