+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Very true Ram59, we are still piddling about on victorian infrastructure and HS2 will eventually free up capacity for local passenger and more freight services, its just typical that in this country we fart around for so long before anything happens.
    I disagree on this, re freight at least. As a regular traveller on the road network between midnight and 6am, I travel on often deserted roads for mile after mile. THAT capacity should be used to free up the motorway system for commuters in the day.

I can even bring myself to use the expression Southern Rail

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Lickspittle!
    Lol...you're just jealous. Too much time arguing with he who is best ignored has addled your grey matter.

"Good boy, good boy,
    Good boy, excellent,
    Head boy, good boy,
    Good boy, good boy,
    Good boy, good lad,
    Well done, good boy,
    Good boy, good boy,
    You're just a lickspittle, lickspittle, lickspittle.
    Good boy, good boy, "

Make the Derby County connection for 5 points...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I think you need a helicopter.

On the renewal of Trident, it's not a simple question of 'who do we need to defend against?' now, because we have to make a decision now in order for the Trident replacement in 10 to 15 years time. Who knows where the threat will come from in 15 years time and if it suddenly appeared, we would be vulnerable for many years, before we could defend ourselves.
    It's not really a question of 'who do we need to defend against now' or in '15 years time' Ram59. I'm not playing the hang wringing liberal and I accept that we need the armed forces and probably some form of nuclear deterrent. Is it not the case though that Trident is monumentally expensive and represents something we can ill afford especially when, should circumstances determine that we ever have to actually use it, the World will be uninhabitable anyway? Why do we need to spend so much on such a level of 'defence' when other countries apparently don't?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 25-05-2017 at 08:42 AM.

"Good boy, good boy,
    Good boy, excellent,
    Head boy, good boy,
    Good boy, good boy,
    Good boy, good lad,
    Well done, good boy,
    Good boy, good boy,
    You're just a lickspittle, lickspittle, lickspittle.
    Good boy, good boy, "

Make the Derby County connection for 5 points...
    Kevin Coyne...'as keen and sharp as can be'...and I claim my five pints!

"Oh what a woman, what a tongue, what an abrasive manner
    And if anyone upsets me, they will regret it, they will regret it"

And for the benefit ot those poor folk who have no idea what we are on about, the DCFC connection is.....?

"Oh what a woman, what a tongue, what an abrasive manner
    And if anyone upsets me, they will regret it, they will regret it"

And for the benefit ot those poor folk who have no idea what we are on about, the DCFC connection is.....?
    Well he was born in Derby and was a Derby fan, is that it?

Back in the seventies I used to go to gigs/festivals with my uncle, who had been at school with Kevin Coyne (well, been in the same year and knew him vaguely, hence this story). we'd pitched up in some bloody quagmire near Buxton, a muddy field, a flatbed lorry and a single power cable that masqueraded as a festival. 'Backstage' was only seperated from the masses (lol maybe two hundred of us) by a rope, and I had eye on any superstars who might come into view. One did, and I said to Unc, not knowing his tenuous link with the bloke, 'Hey, there's Kevin Coyne!' My Unc was off like a shot, skimming across the mud like King Kev with his eye on a goal. He straddled the rope, shook hands vigorously with the bemused musician and went on transmit for a few minutes before giving the geezer a farewell hug and returning to our pitch in the outfield. 'That was fantastic, he is an old schoolfriend, great to catch up'. Unc was fairly buzzing. I asked him 'Has he changed much facially since you last saw him?' 'Yes, I guess he has' was my uncle's reply. I had to 'fess up. 'I'm not surprised he looked different. I got the name wrong, that was Kevin Ayers.'

Your extra data means you share the spoils Andy.

Both Kevins were heroes of my youth - possibly the Ayres variety even more than Coyne. Throw in Hector and those were the days when Kevins were gods.

But Kevins nowadays...just not the same calibre. I feel inspired to listen to Moon in June (ok with Hugh Hopper on bass instead of Kevin) again now and Wyatts whiny vocals. And then the Divided Alien and some Gong.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Well he was born in Derby and was a Derby fan, is that it?

Back in the seventies I used to go to gigs/festivals with my uncle, who had been at school with Kevin Coyne (well, been in the same year and knew him vaguely, hence this story). we'd pitched up in some bloody quagmire near Buxton, a muddy field, a flatbed lorry and a single power cable that masqueraded as a festival. 'Backstage' was only seperated from the masses (lol maybe two hundred of us) by a rope, and I had eye on any superstars who might come into view. One did, and I said to Unc, not knowing his tenuous link with the bloke, 'Hey, there's Kevin Coyne!' My Unc was off like a shot, skimming across the mud like King Kev with his eye on a goal. He straddled the rope, shook hands vigorously with the bemused musician and went on transmit for a few minutes before giving the geezer a farewell hug and returning to our pitch in the outfield. 'That was fantastic, he is an old schoolfriend, great to catch up'. Unc was fairly buzzing. I asked him 'Has he changed much facially since you last saw him?' 'Yes, I guess he has' was my uncle's reply. I had to 'fess up. 'I'm not surprised he looked different. I got the name wrong, that was Kevin Ayers.'
    I went to the first (perhaps only one) of those bloody awful festivals above Buxton... in Aug/Sept '72 I think. Worst festival I ever went to...Curved Air were on I think - probably helps AF remember - and Roy Wood's Wizard. It was also the last ever performance of an iconic American band who changed their personnel half way through...any suggestions?

Saw Kevin Ayers at Nottingham University a couple of years later...bloody excellent.

Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)