+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

Did you ever see it rain there, or was it just fogerty?

Or possibly Steppenwolf?

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Or possibly Steppenwolf?
    Prob Steppenwolf. 'My' festival wasn't the Buxton Festival proper, I'm just too young for that pleasure, it was a later folk-centred thing that I travelled up from Derby in monsoon conditions on the back of my Unc's decrepit aerial arrow to attend, in the hope of seeing John Martyn, who was too drunk to play. I've just seen a poster for the 1972 event, and as well as the aforementioned link with Curved air, way down the bill are The Wild Angels, who are still active and a couple of which I know, including their drummer of 30-plus years, 'Wild Bob Burgos, the Tattooed sledgehammer Of Rock'n'Roll', who just did a feature for my magazine on his time playing drums for Chuck Berry.

After all the anymosity on this thread wouldn't it be lovely if Swale now popped up and expressed his deep love for Gentle Giant or Horslips?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It's not really a question of 'who do we need to defend against now' or in '15 years time' Ram59. I'm not playing the hang wringing liberal and I accept that we need the armed forces and probably some form of nuclear deterrent. Is it not the case though that Trident is monumentally expensive and represents something we can ill afford especially when, should circumstances determine that we ever have to actually use it, the World will be uninhabitable anyway? Why do we need to spend so much on such a level of 'defence' when other countries apparently don't?
    This argument has been going on for about 50 years. I don't think either of us will be able to persuade the other to change their views. But it does amuse me that you favour some form of nuclear deterrent which is expensive and other countries don't have it. The major difference with trident, is that it can't be stopped with a first strike by a foreign force. Therefore, they know, no matter how successful their attack is, they will be destroyed also, the ultimate deterrent.

As I have said, we can't possibly predict who and what forces we may need to defend against in 15 years time.

After all, I agree that I would love to spend the money on something else, maybe the hs4!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Prob Steppenwolf. 'My' festival wasn't the Buxton Festival proper, I'm just too young for that pleasure, it was a later folk-centred thing that I travelled up from Derby in monsoon conditions on the back of my Unc's decrepit aerial arrow to attend, in the hope of seeing John Martyn, who was too drunk to play. I've just seen a poster for the 1972 event, and as well as the aforementioned link with Curved air, way down the bill are The Wild Angels, who are still active and a couple of which I know, including their drummer of 30-plus years, 'Wild Bob Burgos, the Tattooed sledgehammer Of Rock'n'Roll', who just did a feature for my magazine on his time playing drums for Chuck Berry.
    Gutted you two got that. It was indeed Steppenwolf who shuffled off after half an hour to become the John Kay Band. Seems odd a band of Steppenwolf's stature 'dying' on a wind blasted hill in Derbyshire...don't remember feeling 'born to be wild' that night...just bloody cold!!!
    Don't remember the others but still listen to John Martyn...wonderful if somewhat tragic performer. Would be interested to know what your magazine is...private message perhaps?

Ram59...don't actually 'favour' a nuclear deterrent just not naive enough to dismiss the idea of it being a possible necessary evil. The incomprehensible expense of Trident I don't understand and I know nowt about trains but just thought I'd ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    This argument has been going on for about 50 years. I don't think either of us will be able to persuade the other to change their views. But it does amuse me that you favour some form of nuclear deterrent which is expensive and other countries don't have it. The major difference with trident, is that it can't be stopped with a first strike by a foreign force. Therefore, they know, no matter how successful their attack is, they will be destroyed also, the ultimate deterrent.

As I have said, we can't possibly predict who and what forces we may need to defend against in 15 years time.

After all, I agree that I would love to spend the money on something else, maybe the hs4!
    An ex-employer of mine ran a series of very well received adverts a while ago, with a mind-boglingly destructive piece of kit as the photo and the phrase 'Speak softly and carry a big stick'. Your description of Trident fits into that. No point trimming a few billion off the cost if it becomes of no deterrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    After all the anymosity on this thread wouldn't it be lovely if Swale now popped up and expressed his deep love for Gentle Giant or Horslips?
    Matching Mole or Henry Cow perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Matching Mole or Henry Cow perhaps?
    ...and your second question of the day...the link between the marvellous Matching Mole and Monday's mention of King Crimson is?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 25-05-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    ...and your second question of the day...the link between the marvellous Matching Mole and Monday's mention of King Crimson is?
    I know, but only by having been looking at MM's wiki entry an hour ago, and that's cheating. Interesting stuff though.

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)