+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

The only issue is whether she's gonna get just under 400 seats or more

I don't see the result as a foregone conclusion!! I think the Lib Dems will recover seats in the SW on their anti-brexit stance at the Tories expense whilst many other seats will revolve solely round brexit. This will cloudy the waters making polls less accurate. Yes, I can't see anything other than the Tories getting the most seats, not enough though to hold power leaving a hung parliament but allowing labour to form a coalition with the liberals and other parties. This will make Nicola a key player!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    I don't see the result as a foregone conclusion!! I think the Lib Dems will recover seats in the SW on their anti-brexit stance at the Tories expense whilst many other seats will revolve solely round brexit. This will cloudy the waters making polls less accurate. Yes, I can't see anything other than the Tories getting the most seats, not enough though to hold power leaving a hung parliament but allowing labour to form a coalition with the liberals and other parties. This will make Nicola a key player!!
    I think you need to check up on some facts before threatening us with the poisonous Sturgeon. The SW actually voted to leave, therefore the Liberals old stronghold is less likely to go back to them.

The strongest remain areas were Scotland and NI, where the Tories only have 1 seat to lose. In England, it is London which is mainly Labour. So the facts don't seem to bear you out, hopefully.

Jeez mac...'make the polls less accurate'...they were wrong at the last election, wrong over Brexit and wrong over Trump. Any 'less accurate' and they'd have had to predict us to go up with Blackman as player of the year.
    Think you might have a point about another coalition though and it's not the best time for the Tory election expenses fiasco either.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Jeez mac...'make the polls less accurate'...they were wrong at the last election, wrong over Brexit and wrong over Trump. Any 'less accurate' and they'd have had to predict us to go up with Blackman as player of the year.
    Think you might have a point about another coalition though and it's not the best time for the Tory election expenses fiasco either.

There seems to be an assumption that all those who voted leave last year are still in favour of brexit, it was a very small majority then and as the reality has hit home my view is that more of those who voted leave will have changed their minds and at the least will not favour the hard Brexit that the Tories seem to be pushing for. However, its clear that Corbyn will like last time be unclear about brexit, which gives the Lib dems a boost.

Much as it pains e a vote for them is likely to be the best hope of avoiding a disastrous Brexit deal

I pride myself on being a ****-stirrer so it is essential that I find a way to make Nicola the centre of attention. Let's face it anything is better than Dustbyn (sorry Jeremy) and no you 'May' not!! Of, course, we could fall back on Fallon(oh he's a comedian) or Farron or whatever that other one's called!! So, my scenario will unfold of that you can be assured and the BBC can continue to bask in never ending juicy stories to bore us to death with as Nicola becomes PM!!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    There seems to be an assumption that all those who voted leave last year are still in favour of brexit, it was a very small majority then and as the reality has hit home my view is that more of those who voted leave will have changed their minds and at the least will not favour the hard Brexit that the Tories seem to be pushing for. However, its clear that Corbyn will like last time be unclear about brexit, which gives the Lib dems a boost.

Much as it pains e a vote for them is likely to be the best hope of avoiding a disastrous Brexit deal
    After your lecture to me on this subject a few months ago this gave me such a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

The best hope for a good brexit deal is that our representatives from a position of strength. This can only be achieved by the country firmly backing our negotiators.

May doesn't want a hard brexit, nobody does, but she prefers a hard brexit to a weak brexit, which is what we would end up with if the liberals were negotiating. If the eu think that our negotiators don't have the full backing of the country behind them, they will be encouraged to play hard ball.

In a perfect world we would like to have our cake and eat it, maybe we can have our cake and nibble at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    The best hope for a good brexit deal is that our representatives from a position of strength. This can only be achieved by the country firmly backing our negotiators.

May doesn't want a hard brexit, nobody does, but she prefers a hard brexit to a weak brexit, which is what we would end up with if the liberals were negotiating. If the eu think that our negotiators don't have the full backing of the country behind them, they will be encouraged to play hard ball.

In a perfect world we would like to have our cake and eat it, maybe we can have our cake and nibble at it.
    But without trying to make a pro/anti Brexit or party political point (I remain anti Brexit and will be voting Lib Dem but that's irrelevant)...you aren't going to get the 'country firmly backing our negotiators' Ram59.
    In a single issue In/Out vote last June and even with the 'protest' element, only slightly over one third of the electorate backed Brexit.
    A year on, at what is likely to be the most confusing and complex election I can remember, I can't see how this is going to lead to the 'country firmly backing our negotiators'.
    It will be fascinating to see how solidly Labour but pro Brexit areas actually vote but, imo, May is just repeating Cameron's mistake and putting the unity of the Tory Party before the well being of the country.

...and another thing (sorry!). Why is May so opposed to public debate? Apparently she sees door knocking in Maidenhead as preferable to debating with such political heavyweights as Corbyn, Farron or Nuttall...I bet she does...absolutely pathetic imo. Perhaps June will, as ever, herald the end of May.

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)