+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    OK well I asked nicely but be a prick if you want. i can only conclude that as per usual you have interpreted what i said as being contrary to something I called you out on and knowing your vague use of facts, the laugh my friend is on you.
    Stay away from the insults or Rats will yellow card you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Going back to a couple of your points, much as I don't like it, you've got to expect successive increases in retirement age as life expectancy grows. Also, immigration should be controlled by market forces, if we need people to do the work, let them in. What I don't want, is the current system of let them all come in anyway, without any control over the type of people arriving.
    Life expectancy in the US has just fallen for the first time in awhile and is linked to current poor lifestyles; expect the same here. In addition more of our jobs will become automated, so there will be less jobs to go around. It makes little sense to increase the retirement age and put younger people out of work.

The market will decide immigration levels, and has already decided those who have arrived and who will come.

Not sure that automation will mean less jobs, I mean we have lost hundreds of thousands of jobs, just think of manufacturing, mines, steel etc. yet we have unemployment at 4.8% which is as near as damn it full employment.

The issue as with many western countries including the US is that the ares which have lost jobs have not seen those jobs replaced and people are very reluctant to move to find work, preferring to remain in an area where there is no work moan about it. blame immigrants and vote Brexit!!

Anyone doing a manual job, or trade is knackered by the time they are 60, so raising the retirement age for them is nonsensical, otherwise they will just be in disability benefits until they can retire.

if your in an office a judge or a politician well you can go on until you die and many do. perhaps we will all be down B & Q or Tescos!

It's down to cost at the end of the day. In 1962, life expectancy was 71 or 6 years of collecting your pension. In 2012, it was 81 or 15 years of collecting your pension. That's 2 1/2 times the pension that has got to be paid. The money has to come from somewhere. Plus the fact that a 65 year old was basically ready for the knacker's yard in 1962, whereas now you're classed as middle aged, almost.

Automation will mean less jobs. The reason the UK has apparent full employment is because there are a lot of people in poorly paid part-time work; PT work which is now statistically counted as being in full-time work. Really the question re. employment should now be how many are under employed.

There is plenty of money in the 5th (or is it 6th or 7th?) largest economy in the world to ensure people can retire at a sensible age of 65. It's a lie to say we can't afford it. It's about wealth distribution & redistribution.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCharlieGeorge View Post
    Automation will mean less jobs. The reason the UK has apparent full employment is because there are a lot of people in poorly paid part-time work; PT work which is now statistically counted as being in full-time work. Really the question re. employment should now be how many are under employed.

There is plenty of money in the 5th (or is it 6th or 7th?) largest economy in the world to ensure people can retire at a sensible age of 65. It's a lie to say we can't afford it. It's about wealth distribution & redistribution.
    Ram59 will probably accuse me of another 'love nest' but I totally agree KCG. Automation has to mean less jobs, it's something that's been happening for many years now - think bus conductors and supermarket check out staff as just two of the more obvious examples.
    The near full employment stat takes no account of those now doing jobs well below their ability and often on zero hours contracts. As a society we have some huge decisions to make...we have extended life expectancy but not necessarily quality of life and we have made many redundant via the implementation of technology.

I favour the Soylent Green option myself as it would allow for pension planning with certainty.

We could experiment for recipes on certain posters here. Now that would be justice.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I favour the Soylent Green option myself as it would allow for pension planning with certainty.

We could experiment for recipes on certain posters here. Now that would be justice.
    If you opt for Soylent Green, then you get to watch a free movie. What would be your choice ? Just give plenty of warning that you are about to enter the food chain.

My choice of movie would be The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    My choice of movie would be The Usual Suspects
    Why does your latest avatar look like Jimmy Saville ?

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)