+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning players

Returning players

Rowett says the balance of the current squad is not quite right so does the potential of players returning to the squad next season help.... players like Thorne, Forsyth and Martin would surely help without having to resort to pating more inflated transfer fees..

Would signing John Terry for a season help in the way that Dave McKAY helped Cloughie all of those years ago,

I can see Terry going to Brighton, that would be the perfect fit for him.

I wanted someone like Terry 12 months ago but it wasn't to be. Brighton is a good call as he will be able to keep the same blue shorts on - which is more than Lewis Dunk managed yesterday

and welcome back Luckless, speaking of returning players

Terry would be the perfect fit IMO, a leader and a born winner, we don't have many of those on our books. Ram59 is prob spot on though. Drop him in alongside Lewis dunk at Brighton.

Digressing and drifting on to other posts and topics Rowett hit the nail on the napper when he said we had skillful players but not the right mix. It's all down to attitudes and mentality and unfortunately we have too many that think it's enough just to turn up and put on the shirt. We are certainly no further forward than the play-off season and whichever way I write our best midfield down I struggle to get past Thorne, Bryson & Hughes as the most effective three when playing together. They give cover, structure, energy and guile. Johnson and Butterfield are undoubtedly decent footballers but I've not seen a consistency from either that would dislodge the afore mentioned trio.

Forsyth is as good if not better than all that have played LB since he was injured though I remain in two minds about a return from Martin. Top player at the level but I get the feeling him and Ince (among others) have a rift between them.

We need new faces in all departments, nothing drastic one each of a defender midfielder and striker that improve the squad and more to the point would start. My wishlist would be John Terry, Alan Judge and Leonardo Ulloa though I can't see us attracting any of them.

Oh and I've nothing to add on Brexit, ISIS, elections or those intent on ruining the forum.

Manx

Not sure about Bryson, Manx. Can't remember him making a major contribution in three years now. The player of 2013/14 I'd agree with but he'll be 31 next season and as a player who, on his day, bases his game around energy and mobility I think he's beginning to struggle and now seems very injury prone too. Sadly one to ship out imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not sure about Bryson, Manx. Can't remember him making a major contribution in three years now. The player of 2013/14 I'd agree with but he'll be 31 next season and as a player who, on his day, bases his game around energy and mobility I think he's beginning to struggle and now seems very injury prone too. Sadly one to ship out imo.
    You probably right ramAnag though further shows how disappointed I've been in Johnson & Butterfield!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Terry would be the perfect fit IMO, a leader and a born winner, we don't have many of those on our books. Ram59 is prob spot on though. Drop him in alongside Lewis dunk at Brighton.

Digressing and drifting on to other posts and topics Rowett hit the nail on the napper when he said we had skillful players but not the right mix. It's all down to attitudes and mentality and unfortunately we have too many that think it's enough just to turn up and put on the shirt. We are certainly no further forward than the play-off season and whichever way I write our best midfield down I struggle to get past Thorne, Bryson & Hughes as the most effective three when playing together. They give cover, structure, energy and guile. Johnson and Butterfield are undoubtedly decent footballers but I've not seen a consistency from either that would dislodge the afore mentioned trio.

Forsyth is as good if not better than all that have played LB since he was injured though I remain in two minds about a return from Martin. Top player at the level but I get the feeling him and Ince (among others) have a rift between them.

We need new faces in all departments, nothing drastic one each of a defender midfielder and striker that improve the squad and more to the point would start. My wishlist would be John Terry, Alan Judge and Leonardo Ulloa though I can't see us attracting any of them.

Oh and I've nothing to add on Brexit, ISIS, elections or those intent on ruining the forum.

Manx
    Terry would be good, but there is no way on earth we could afford the wages he wants, even if they are half what he has now, he will have more lucrative offers from elsewhere.

I'm not convinced that an old pro like him is the answer, a commanding midfielder or central defender is definately required but I'd porefer one who has pedigree and experience at this level.

As for Forsyth, hopefully he comes back as good. Martin, I'd sell and move on.

You could add Hanson, Shackell, Weimann and Blackman to that list too. Rawson, Guy and Vernam have all been involved in first team squads too. Plus Mcallister?? Think that's his name? Young lad from Scotland we signed in January.

It will certainly be a busy summer, I just sense that Rowett has the right outlook on squad size and player attitudes, there will be a shake up, might even lose some key men this summer. I'm kind of thinking bring it on!?

Anyway..... hi to those who remember me!? , it's been a while, like many others I got a bit fed up with certain people and certain issues, but I'll be sure to contribute once again. I sense a tide is turning on this board and within the club and as always I'm gonna be right in the thick of the action, and it's always more fun talking Derby with you guys than the Mrs or some of the pillocks at the matches?! 😀

Welcome back D2D4 although I fear if you had a problem with certain issues (eg the OT Brexit one) the timing of your return could perhaps have been better given today's events! By the way I always enjoyed talking Derby with your Mrs... although I've not heard that euphemism before!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)