+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's 'scores on the doors'...

Today's 'scores on the doors'...

...in Ella's continued and unwelcome absence.
    Carson 5. Not in a bad way but could do nothing about the goal and was just a spectator for most of the match.
    Christie 5. Willing to get forward but lacks concentration and no end product.
    Keogh 5. Just anonymous today.
    Pearce 4. Even more anonymous and so predictable...looked thoroughly uncomfortable on the ball and not at all like a player with something to prove.
    Olssen 6. Got forward well at times and provided a few better crosses than most.
    Ince 4. Was he playing or dreaming of the beach? Very disappointing by his standards.
    Hughes 7. Always available, started by giving the ball away too much but the only one who looked like he had a point to prove. Thought he was playing Huddersfield on his own for a while, did well to shake off the injury.
    Johnson 5. Never really settled after an early knock. Hard man? Hardly.
    Anya 6. One of the more enthusiastic. Tended to drift in and out but at least he posed a bit of a threat.
    Vydra 5. Tried hard but played far too deep imo, didn't suit the role he was asked to play...again!
    Bent 4. Not 'at the races', but might as well have been.
    Butterfield 5. Would have been less but at least he scored to maintain the curse of the ex player.
    Camara 4. Seems to have completely lost his way.
    Russell 5. Huffed and puffed and got back well a couple of times but no impact going forward.

Weird game. We were poor imo but still deserved at least a point against an equally poor Huddersfield. How on earth they're fourth I don't know. Offered very little and the goal looked offside. While Gary Rowett has got a massive job this summer, if Huddersfield go up - and only on the evidence of that performance - they might run our record close.
    Sorry Rog...didn't rate Wells at all.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 17-04-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Pretty much sums it up but a bit generous for Bent. He would'nt play again for me, just don't see the point!

It was pretty poor fare tbh, but at least Butterfield had a shot!!

Yep, Bent's done okay at times this season but I reckon China might hold more for the future than us now, mac. Relatively easy end of career money.
    Poor fare indeed and yet, despite playing badly, we were at least as good as a top four team. Two teams, both with different things to prove, who managed what...one shot on target each?

Good review RA. A couple I'd like your opinion on (though I missed the last 20 mins so may have missed something important)...

Hughes - I thought he was poor. Sat in the centre circle, no movement off the ball, no forward runs when ever we were counter attacking. Appeared lazy. Did well at looking pretty but had zero impact on the game.

Vydra - Good movement and skill, but really poor final ball, on par with Russell if not worse. All his passes seemed to go to a wrong shirt, or no mans land. Seems to be able to do everything except actually kick the ball.

I only watched on TV and listened to the commentators' love affair with Will who, I agree, didn't do much at all in any forward or creative sense to justify the gushing plaudits TV gave him. "One of the best players in the league" etc etc - well perhaps on past performances but he still looks a shadow of himself and he needs to get himself back on track.

Vydra seemed to be being played out of natural position in a more deep lying role which didnt suit him on the face of it, but its early days and who knows, this could be his best position? It reinforces my view that he cannot play with a Bent like player (or Martin) but does seem to dovetail with Nugent. His primary asset is pace and he was not able to exhibit that playing in the congested area that was 20 yards from of the edge of the Huddersfield box.

All in all it was a thoroughly turgid tedious game: Huddersfield showed no ambition after getting an (offisde?) goal inside 10 minutes and then shut the game down. We showed little flair and had no clue how to break down a tough defensive stance until a lucky deflection right at the end. People have been praising Huddersfield's vibrant style of play all year but we saw nothing of it yesterday - they came to play smash and grab and nearly succeeded. In a way I wish they had if it could mean Newcastle do not get automatic!

As for us I think that game summed up our season. We have plenty of supposed flair players who displayed no flair whatsoever. Ince looked as if his mind was off on his holidays, and when he does not fire, we dont as a team. It was back to the crabbing sideways and backwards stuff as we failed to find a way to break down a determined and strong defence that ate up crosses for breakfast. the game was crying out for quick incisive play through the middle, not just out wide which was bread and butter to the tow CB's (or were there 5 of them?)

We dillied and dallied around half way but almost never tried to draw the defence out and then put a long ball over the top for our quick players to run on to. We have pace in Ince Anya Vydra etc but did we use it? Did we ****. Tactically we seemed no better than in the later games of SMac or under Pearson - no creativity, no variations, just keep possession for a while, achieve nothing and then give the ball away. And Huddersfield were worse!! If they are promoted and perform like that, our record could be in jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Good review RA. A couple I'd like your opinion on (though I missed the last 20 mins so may have missed something important)...

Hughes - I thought he was poor. Sat in the centre circle, no movement off the ball, no forward runs when ever we were counter attacking. Appeared lazy. Did well at looking pretty but had zero impact on the game.

Vydra - Good movement and skill, but really poor final ball, on par with Russell if not worse. All his passes seemed to go to a wrong shirt, or no mans land. Seems to be able to do everything except actually kick the ball.
    A bit harsh on Hughes there, what movement in front did he have,if you want to pick on a lazy player try Ince

If he really wants to play Premier football,he needs to drop the attitude and use his head to find space and work 50% harder

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    A bit harsh on Hughes there, what movement in front did he have,if you want to pick on a lazy player try Ince

If he really wants to play Premier football,he needs to drop the attitude and use his head to find space and work 50% harder
    I agree RE Ince. With Hughes, it's not so much what's in front of him, but when does he ever go forward himself? As soon as he passes the ball, he stands still as if his job is done. Off the ball he needs to work harder, which is where my "lazy" accusation comes from.

BIt of luck we will only have to put up with Ince three more times he does my head in in

I honestly thought Hughes got forward more yesterday and he made one interception when Pearce was - again - miles out of position that ultimately may have saved the match. He was my motm but I accept there was little competition.

Agree about Vydra, Adi, but I do think he was being asked to do a job that doesn't suit him. Think we and he probably missed Nugent.

Bit harsh on Ince, mac. He was invisible yesterday I know but...again in a season with little competition, he's been player of the (very bad) year for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)