+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Corbyn will eclipse Rotherham's record losing streak

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Tell me again, all you tories, why would a rise in corporation tax in the UK to 25% (from 20%) mean that these corporations would move their business elswhere, given that our competitors in the EU -Germany = 29% and France = 33% and the good old Us of A =40% corporation tax.

Even at the higher figure of 25%, ours is much more competitive than the others, and the fact that the tories want to reduce it further to 17% indicates that they're only interested in the profits rather than reinvestment in the country.
    In addition, as you (MMM) have already asked a while ago, why are these conservative supporters who assert that Corbyn is "a danger to the economy" so supportive (or at least shuffling quickly away from questions about!) of a government that are saying that they are willing to push through a hard brexit that puts our economy in far greater danger???

Think Jezzer will do better than the Tory press/ TV think . Not saying he will win but I can see Labour winning more seats particularly now the working class have begun to realise what a heap of sh ite the likes of UKIP are.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Think Jezzer will do better than the Tory press/ TV think . Not saying he will win but I can see Labour winning more seats particularly now the working class have begun to realise what a heap of sh ite the likes of UKIP are.
    I'm not sure it's just that the working class have realised that UKIP are sh ite. I'm more concerned that the conservatives have persuaded them they are the ones to take on the UKIP agenda and put up border controls.

Personally I think that they are in for a shock. Most likely scenario is that May will backtrack, blame them horrible foreigners and then try and deal with the backlash. Could get ugly on them streets.

The other scenario, they force through a hard Brexit and we crash the economy.

Either way, we're running a risk much more dangerous than labour putting 1 or 2% on the taxes...
    Last edited by ragingpup; 16-05-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I'd love to share your optimism, roly, and there's a way to go yet, but the tory media has done a massive hatchet job on Corbyn, you're stil seeing working people repeating the same mantra that's been shoved down their throats since Corbyn became leader, and polls have shown that the vast majority of folk are saying they agree with the policies but don't like the leader, proof in my eyes of that succesful hatchet job done on Corbyn, shameful really.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Yeah, guess so. Shame we have that reappearing as despite our obvious differences, Kerr does construct good constructive arguments and puts in good challenges. Not quite Gerry Gow, more Tony Grealish but keeps you on yer toes. GM's contribution is a bit Bobby Mitchell... :-)

(showing my age here!)
    Why have a go at Bobby Mitchell? he was hard working, honest, paid his taxes and believed in a strong and stable economy!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Why have a go at Bobby Mitchell? he was hard working, honest, paid his taxes and believed in a strong and stable economy!
    Lol! Sh ite in a debate though!

Bobby Mitchell was convicted of embezzlement in 1993 and spent 6 months in prison GM.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    Bobby Mitchell was convicted of embezzlement in 1993 and spent 6 months in prison GM.
    Tony there was a "Tony Stewart" who fought at Bannockburn but Im pretty sure it wasnt our chairman.

Tony there was a "Tony Stewart" who fought at Bannockburn but Im pretty sure it wasnt our chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    No, I'm talking about the 0 5% transactional tax that John McDonnell dubbed the Robin Hood tax when he announced it.
    Ok, got you. First of all I think that McDonnell is ill advised to use a term like the 'Robin Hood' tax as it is easily jumped on and used against labour to promote the 'they're hurting big business' message and anti-business agenda.

Having looked into the idea, the same principal applies to the arguments on income and corporation tax. I am broadly agreeing (as you will have gathered) that labour is right to adjust the tax rates and redirect the levels of income and expenditure so that we shore up the obvious shortfall in services that teachers, doctors and carers are telling us about. As I've already said and as MMM has reinforced this morning, we have to balance this with remaining competitive in the business world and fortunately for labour, as it stands we have long margins between our own tax rates and those of our competitors.

Lets say that we apply this transactional tax, raise the highest tax rate to 52% and ups the corporation tax rate to 23%. Why would your high earning business person switch from the UK to Frankfurt or Paris when it is still 5 - 7% higher on the tax rates there??

Labour have to do the maths (get that calculator off of Abbott now!) and make sensible tax proposals that will both keep business prospering but raise more money quickly for services needed.

If I was a trader in the City, I think I'd be more worried about Brexit to be honest: https://www.ft.com/content/0eba4f78-...8-b372cdb1043a

Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast