+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Corbyn will eclipse Rotherham's record losing streak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T Corbyn will eclipse Rotherham's record losing streak

May has called a snap election for 8 June. Jeremy will make Warne look like a World Cup winner. Labour to go into meltdown?

very clever is May but you never know what outcome this might bring, I mean just take a look on this board

The question is straight forward this time, do you want a NHS??

For the normal folk not for them as they're ridiculously rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss View Post
    That’s not a straightforward question at all. Nor is it the one we should be asking.

There are several questions, all of which arise from the changing nature of medicine and the population since the NHS was founded. We now have an aging population, some of whom will suffer from illness that would have once killed fairly quickly, but is now treatable, but only at substantial and continuing expense. With that being the case, one of the main questions is whether the country can still afford a comprehensive, free-at-the-point-of-provision system.

The NHS is such a sacred cow in this country that, like on other issues such as immigration, it is almost impossible to have a sensible discussion about it. We get no honesty from any political party when it comes to the NHS. The Tories won’t admit that is cash starved and failing and the Labour Party won’t tell us how they would pay for it. The notion of putting up taxes for only high earners is laughable; there aren’t enough of them to raise the sums involved and the super-rich will simply move their wealth or themselves off shore. Increased corporate taxation will simply stifle investment and innovation and, when they taxes get high enough, the companies – and their jobs – will simply move out of the UK .

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

The NHS is such a sacred cow in this country that, like on other issues such as immigration, it is almost impossible to have a sensible discussion about it. We get no honesty from any political party when it comes to the NHS. The Tories won’t admit that is cash starved and failing and the Labour Party won’t tell us how they would pay for it. The notion of putting up taxes for only high earners is laughable; there aren’t enough of them to raise the sums involved and the super-rich will simply move their wealth or themselves off shore. Increased corporate taxation will simply stifle investment and innovation and, when they taxes get high enough, the companies – and their jobs – will simply move out of the UK .
    The rich are usually paying for private healthcare and the NHS as well so paying twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss View Post
    you are right Amanda - the question is do you want a NHS and anything of any value - if so don't vote Corbyn - he just wants to take us back to the 70's and they were awful.

Oh and before we tax the rich - consider this - 75% of all tax in Britain is paid by companies - only 25% by people. Of that only 2.5% is paid by those in the bottom half of the pay scale - the other 22.5% is paid by those earning over £32,000 per year.
    I get less than the average and so does my wife - thank goodness there are better off people out there paying massive amounts of tax to bail out the workshy and support those who cannot look after themselves. The truth is that we who do not earn above average do nothing to pay our way - the hard working risk takers pay it all for us and all we do is complain about them being better off - thank goodness they are - Corbyn's policies will make everyone worse off and then bang goes your NHS. Voting Conservative for the first time in my life - it's the only option for anyone with a brain in their head.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    you are right Amanda - the question is do you want a NHS and anything of any value - if so don't vote Corbyn - he just wants to take us back to the 70's and they were awful.

Oh and before we tax the rich - consider this - 75% of all tax in Britain is paid by companies - only 25% by people. Of that only 2.5% is paid by those in the bottom half of the pay scale - the other 22.5% is paid by those earning over £32,000 per year.
    I get less than the average and so does my wife - thank goodness there are better off people out there paying massive amounts of tax to bail out the workshy and support those who cannot look after themselves. The truth is that we who do not earn above average do nothing to pay our way - the hard working risk takers pay it all for us and all we do is complain about them being better off - thank goodness they are - Corbyn's policies will make everyone worse off and then bang goes your NHS. Voting Conservative for the first time in my life - it's the only option for anyone with a brain in their head.
    Points passionately made there Galant.

Assuming you agree that there is not enough money currently being generated by the system and we are further growing in debt, have to manage the demands of an aging population etc: where do you think we can generate the money we need to keep up?

(I ask almost dreading a reply dominated by 'get rid of immigrants' and 'stop all benefits' but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised!)

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

Assuming you agree that there is not enough money currently being generated by the system and we are further growing in debt, have to manage the demands of an aging population etc: where do you think we can generate the money we need to keep up?

(I ask almost dreading a reply dominated by 'get rid of immigrants' and 'stop all benefits' but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised!)

Galant, Kempo, Grist (I hesitate to include Great Fire as I feel I could almost wtite his reply for him!):

As I posted above, on the assumption that you agree that we're struggling to make ends meet and at the moment we're recording record levels of national debt (and without discussing who's best at running up the debt!), I understand that you oppose quite passionately Corbyn's suggestion that we raise higher tax bands by 'modest levels' (but still remaining competitive as 15 or so European countries have higher tax bands pay more than us and loads more corporation tax). I get all that so no more of it please.

But where do we raise the extra money needed to pay for increasing demand on our services from an ageing population?

Usually this provokes the following responses but I'm hoping for new ideas:

1. Stop benefit cheats. These cost us approx 1.6 billion per year. Be good to cut back on this but it is something like 0.05 of the public spend

2. Stop immigration. Immigrants coming here to do paid work brings in a net overall profit of approx 2% on the economy (government figures). If and when we stop migrants coming here to work and spend their earnings, we have an economic loss. So that won't gain us any revenue

3. Stop refugees coming over and claiming benefits: this is included in 1) above. There is a few million extra that is spent on temporary living costs for asylum seekers when they arrive but this barely makes any dents in the public purse

We know that May's first intention will be to raise/adjust tax arrangements on self employed people so that they pay more. Fair enough but aren't those of you who so vehemently oppose raising taxes on the upper levels opposed with equal measures of passion against this tax on some of our hard working lower level workers?

So, over to you guys: in the absence of raising taxes: how would you like to raise the 200 billion or so we need to have a chance of keeping up with rising costs??

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

On the news last night it focused on Hull and how wages had gone down significantly over the last 10 years, the reason is the same jobs are being carried out by foreign nationals who will work for less, in some case half as much.

A company I was involved with paid senior underwriters £20,000 that's now £16,000 12 years on. Everything has increased in the last 10 years so I can not reconcile how this benefit tax revenues by driving incomes down.

The country is polarised and where we are some of the immigration doesn't help.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast