+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Produce

Local Produce

This is, I suppose, a companion thread to the fit's cooking.

I like to be local where ever possible, even though it does cost a bit more. I just think the difference in taste and quality is evident, and I like to support local/smaller businesses as opposed to your multi nationals.

Farmer's Markets are really good for that.

However, sometimes you buy packaged products that are (in my case) Scottish and they are a mixed bag.

Mackie's crisps I like (especially the bacon flavour), and their ice cream is lovely too. Although, I prefer local ice cream (Luca and Di Rollo for me) even to that.

Graham's yoghurt isn't great tho, very watery compared to Onken's but Rowan Glen yoghurty/probiotic drinks are decent. Especially the raspberry - very sharp.

Wondering what other people's local product faves are?

Recommendations?

Barra Berries are the b@llocks. I love summer time.

Agree with the Mackies crisps, esoecially Haggis and cracked black pepper

Local produce sounds like a euphemism for cum.

We buy if we can mostly local fruit veg potatoes.

The strawberries from Perthshire are among the best around I would say that if the supermarket is selling berries there's a high chance they are from Scotland as we produce 70% of the berry market.

Unfortunately I'm not 'comfortable' enough to indulge myself in the luxury of being picky about buying products which are admittedly socially and ethically preferable. I buy what tastes good and what is affordable to me. Where the stuff comes from doesn't enter into it. Although when I do get fresh veg as opposed to frozen I often buy from Aldi's and aren't they running a TV ad just now that states they source all their fresh veg locally? Whether that means in Aberdeenshire or Scotlland I'm not sure.

As for local products. Rowies, mock chops and Thains steak and gravy pies. Food fit for the gods.

I think farmers markets are expensive as f*ck, and you can tell by the amount of Chelsea tractors you see at these places that it is all about show and f*ck all else.

The vegetables out of supermarkets are pretty good and reasonably priced that should be the most important thing. Fruit is more difficult to comment on as most of the fruit in this country is imported, bar the usual seasonal berries and maybe a bit of rhubarb.

The fishmongers on Murray's Lane (aff Menzies Road) is good. It's called Blue Sea Products.

Mackies Rum and Raisin Ice Cream is brilliant and im not a Ice cream person.

Mrs Pac would argue and say Mackies honeycomb is the best ice cream on the go

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Mackies Rum and Raisin Ice Cream is brilliant and im not a Ice cream person.

Mrs Pac would argue and say Mackies honeycomb is the best ice cream on the go
    Nah surely whippy has to be the best ever I'm sure Mrs Pacman will agree

Best ice-cream is Capaldi's of Brora (now bought over by and sold through Harry Gow's Bakers).

Pac, you should check it oot on one of your Highland trips?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast