shopify analytics
+ Visit Dundee United FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Season

Next Season

Football talk for once.

Interested to see if we will see any new deals handed out to the current squad (like Edge) before the season ends. Simon Murray has made it clear he wants to stay as had Blair Spittal. Would imagine one or two are in talks.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any info on how some of the Dev players out on loan have done. I know Ballantyne has had decent reviews at Montrose. What about Matty Smith and the boy Sukar at Arbroath. Both seem to be getting plenty game time.

Those 3 added to Robson, Coote, Allardice and Brad Smith (been good for Dev this season I hear) could form a big chunk of our first team squad next year as they are all in contract until June 2018.

Any other players in the current squad worthy of a new deal?

For me, Murray and Telfer. Mikelsson maybe. The rest have proven to be average at best signings. Cant wait to see the back of Murdoch, Vdv, Spittal, Nicholls, Zwick etc. All so average.

Flood I feel still has something to offer but we could probably bring in 2 or 3 players for the money he is on.

And it's good to get back to football talk Bud.
    In general I think we're moving into an era of our highest earning players getting paid 1k/week with a lot of them on half that.
    I got wind of some wages for a club in our league & their basics are no more than living wage plus - it's simple economics.
    So it's a case of whatever player we can get for that sort of money. Whatever league we're in. But if I was one of the younger players you mention I'd be quite happy on 35k for kicking a ball about.
    There will be one or two players contracted to the end of 2017/18 getting more than that but when their contracts are up it will be take a 50% paycut or see ya later.
    Who knows, with the right motivation/management it might even work.

For me murdoch can still earn a chance,maybe not been spectacular but I feel he deserves at least the remainder of the games before we write him off.The rest I agree with,no good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by troonarab View Post
    For me murdoch can still earn a chance,maybe not been spectacular but I feel he deserves at least the remainder of the games before we write him off.The rest I agree with,no good enough.
    I agree re Rupert, if he can continue his form at right back then I'd offer another deal. I agree with everything else suggested Troon

Quote Originally Posted by troonarab View Post
    He was written off months ago Troon, not sure why, but like everyone else he deserves a 2nd chance & thankfully he got it.
    Mark Durnan was once a tangerine wheelie bin & how everyone laughed.
    Fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Football talk for once.

Interested to see if we will see any new deals handed out to the current squad (like Edge) before the season ends. Simon Murray has made it clear he wants to stay as had Blair Spittal. Would imagine one or two are in talks.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any info on how some of the Dev players out on loan have done. I know Ballantyne has had decent reviews at Montrose. What about Matty Smith and the boy Sukar at Arbroath. Both seem to be getting plenty game time.

Those 3 added to Robson, Coote, Allardice and Brad Smith (been good for Dev this season I hear) could form a big chunk of our first team squad next year as they are all in contract until June 2018.

Any other players in the current squad worthy of a new deal?

For me, Murray and Telfer. Mikelsson maybe. The rest have proven to be average at best signings. Cant wait to see the back of Murdoch, Vdv, Spittal, Nicholls, Zwick etc. All so average.

Flood I feel still has something to offer but we could probably bring in 2 or 3 players for the money he is on.

Anybody with a contract will still be here, but i'd try to move some of them on....

Anybody out of contract then it's goodbye from me, I think we can get better for what we must be paying.

Left back
    Right back
    Centre half
    4 midfielders, of which two should be wingers
    2 centre forward

all required minimum.

At this moment I only want:

Bell
    Edge
    Durnan
    Robson
    Telfer
    Mikkelson
    Fraser

the rest can leave.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheAlien View Post

Bell
    Edge
    Durnan
    Robson
    Telfer
    Mikkelson
    Fraser

the rest can leave.

For me those plus

Spittal
    Murdoch (as right back)
    Flood (not starting every game but running around for last half hour helping us see out games)

And the younger guys like Coote etc

players i would have next season

Bell Long (possibly sign 2nd choice keeper)

Durnan, Edge, robson , Toshney (will be there no matter what)

Murdoch, flood, telfer, alladice,

Spittal, Fraser, Murray, Coote,

In championship keep dillon for cover if promoted move into player/coach or just coach
    Bring The two smiths into the 1st team and ballantyne.

signings in the summer imo
    Meaning possibly a covering defender (full back)
    winger x2 (preferably experienced)
    a striker x2 (get mikkelson back if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by SmedDUm View Post
    He was written off months ago Troon, not sure why, but like everyone else he deserves a 2nd chance & thankfully he got it.
    Mark Durnan was once a tangerine wheelie bin & how everyone laughed.
    Fans.
    Cos he was f ucking lowping that why!

We are now playing him at Rb while the RB we signed, Toshney, plays in midfield work that ane oot!!!!

Two wingers, a creative midfielder and another forward has to be the number 1 priority.

play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 none of this having to play a formation round one player (Andreu) team game with players in their correct position.

If we have the cash id get another RB and a keeper too as Zwick is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Cos he was f ucking lowping that why!

We are now playing him at Rb while the RB we signed, Toshney, plays in midfield work that ane oot!!!!
    Because Murdoch is a better right back I'd say. Good point though, a big waste of budget we can well do without.

lets hope in the summer ray doesnt get swayed by certain players becoming available like last summer.

hes done it twice with Rb and AM

Signed cammy smith then Vdv which was fair enough abit of strength in depth but then signed Andreu who became available which then meant the other two were forced to play in unfavoured positions. resulted in smith leaving and Vdv being dubbed "useless" because he gets judged as a winger or striker which doesnt suit him.

we signed Toshney which i reckon was aimed to be our RB then signed VDS and realised they both werent great there so then tried another one of his failed signings murdoch there and is doing fairly well there tbh.

the amount he would have wasted on these players is an amount we couldnt really sustain fully for them not to be contributing anything. he spent his budget on two right backs and has ended up playing neither and spent his budget on 3 no.10s when we only play one.

he will have to spent his budget more effectively next year imo.

The only players I want here next season are:

Bell
    Robson
    Edge
    Allardice
    Coote
    Mikkelsen

The rest just simply aren't good enough.

Being totally honest, wether in the championship or the Prem I wouldn't be disappointed if every player in the first team squad wasn't here next season.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Being totally honest, wether in the championship or the Prem I wouldn't be disappointed if every player in the first team squad wasn't here next season.
    IMO the closer we are to this circumstance the better! However, we don't want the players to know until after our fate is decided.

Given the cr*p that was in front of him last season, I thought Zwick made some outstanding saves that stopped us getting a real hiding. Yes he made mistakes but no worse than Kawashima other keeper Stromnik. Murdoch has been doing well at RB, therefore possibly worth a one year extension. Telfer most definitely a must stay. Add a couple of pacey players as well. I would punt Toshney and just accept the loss, he has proven totally inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheAlien View Post

Bell
    Edge
    Durnan
    Robson
    Telfer
    Mikkelson
    Fraser

the rest can leave.
    Agree.

Keep Murdoch at RB unless we can get a better one in.

The rest can go.

Problem will be where is the money coming from to 're_ hash the squad again , the poor signings made this season means another rebuild

Perhaps if we'd gone with the youth they would all be well blooded now and hopefully manning up to give next year a right good shot.

They really couldn't have done much worse than some of our "not good enough" signings and previous years deadwood.

Lot of this years pool of players will be glad to see back of, change required again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast