shopify analytics

Bet for FREE on football and win real cash bet4F is changing the game

Thread: Lee Johnson says .....

Lee Johnson says .....

Lee Johnson is hoping to defeat his 'good friends' at Barnsley FC tomorrow and get a huge win for his relegation-battling Bristol City side.

The 14th-placed Reds will look for just a third victory in their last 16 matches when they visit their former head coach's 18th-placed Robins at Ashton Gate. Johnson will come up against friend Paul Heckingbottom who was a coach under him then replaced him as head coach while he still keeps in touch with Reds owner Patrick Cryne, who is battling cancer.

He told the Chronicle: "I made a lot of good friends at Barnsley and learned an awful lot through the tough times and the good times. I really enjoyed the town and the people and I look back at my time there fondly.

"I was very sad to hear about Patrick Cryne's illness. I am very, very, very fond of Patrick and we are still in touch.
    I have missed him as a mate ever since I left Barnsley. He is part mate, part warrior and part granddad. He is in my thoughts and prayers.

"I also get on well with Paul Heckingbottom. He was always a good coach but you never know how a coach will step up to be in charge of a team but he has done a fantastic job. I tried to give him bits of advice when we worked together about how the politics of football work. He has put himself on the map as a very good young English manager."

Johnson was head coach at Oakwell for almost a year, leading the Reds to the bottom of League One in December 2015 before a run to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final and six straight league wins tempted his former club to poach him in February last year. Johnson's current side are four places and nine points below his former employers, and four clear of the relegation zone.

He said: "It will be a full-blooded game with a lot of good young English players on display. It's a huge game for us and it will be a massive challenge against a good Barnsley side with a lot of potency and quality. They have got some good, quick, young players going forward and a really well-organised defence with players I know well like Marc Roberts.

"I have been very impressed by how they have done this season, a lot of people have been. They have recruited well, lost players, then recruited well again in the loan market in January. They are a really good side at this level as a lot of teams have found out."

Heckingbottom took the Reds to promotion months after replacing Johnson in the Oakwell hotseat, having helped his former boss through an eight-match losing run like the one Johnson experienced again this season in Bristol.

Heckingbottom said: "I think Jono will say that everyone worked their socks off in that spell, and so did he. "Everyone had his back 100 per cent and helped him dig his way out of it. I know now how hard our backroom staff work after that so it's comforting for me to have gone through that. "

One of the things I took from Jono is how hard he worked and how many hours he put in. I know he will be doing the same for Bristol City so I am expecting a very tough game.

"We're playing a team in decent form and one who are scrapping for their lives. Lee has experience of a bad run at Barnsley then he had it again this season so he won't have been panicking and we will have known what to say to the owner and the board.

"The game will be the same as any other, but we will just have more of a chat afterwards. We haven't got that many players left who worked with him."

City's 2-2 draw at Oakwell in late October when Adam Hammill netted a late Barnsley equaliser was the first in a 22-match run which brought just two wins and took City from the top six into the bottom three. But City have climbed out of the drop zone with just two defeats in their last nine games which have brought four wins.

They drew 1-1 at third-bottom Blackburn Rovers on Monday so are four places clear of the drop zone. The Robins have not lost at home for exactly two months going into this match with two draws being followed by three successive wins. Ten of their 13 victories and 34 of their 48 points this season have come at Ashton Gate.

As well as Johnson, the Reds will come back up against another familiar face from last season in Josh Brownhill who helped them to promotion last season before joining Bristol City two days after the play-off final. Brownhill is yet to score in 29 Robins games but Johnson said: "Josh has been amazing and fantastic, a really good signing."

Brownhill was a central midfielder for Barnsley but has been playing on the left wing with another former Reds loanee, Korey Smith, in the middle. Smith's former Oakwell team-mate David Cotterill could also face his former club although the winger has been on the bench in recent weeks.

The Reds have only won four of their 46 games at Bristol City, in 1911, 1956, 1992 and 1993, while they have lost 33 there. Since the last victory, they have not won in 14 visits.

From Barnsley Chronicle

Usual garbage from dwarf at an appropriate place his training ground fail Land all these friends beware he would stab you in back to get what he wants

The thereev sez....

Feck off dwarf.....That nowt but a conman and a fraud.

Get thi bike clips on Johnson.....

Hth