+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gordon Morritt.

Gordon Morritt.

Some very strong words from ex Miller Gordon in his letter to Advertiser(p80 sport6) .Totally agree with him especially on his view on players "cant make a race horse out of a donkey" and weve got quite a few of em. .

But we can turn throughbreds into donkeys and donkeys into goats so at least we are able to transform players.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Some very strong words from ex Miller Gordon in his letter to Advertiser(p80 sport6) .Totally agree with him especially on his view on players "cant make a race horse out of a donkey" and weve got quite a few of em. .
    I used to like Gordon Morritt, he was about 6 foot 4 inches and a very powerful goalkeeper. When he got dropped and was put in the reserves they played him at centre forward. I remember my dear old mum, who would have been 100 yesterday often yelling 'Get back between sticks' and not really understanding what she meant. He scored a lot of goals though.

One of my favourite memories is when he was stood at the centre circle for a kick off with another much loved Miller Keith Bambridge who was about 5 foot 4. Keith stood on the ball and still didn't reach Gordon's shoulder, it brought the house down with laughter. I had the pleasure of meeting Keith a couple of years ago and he remembered it well.

Great memories

I remember Gordon Morritt playing centre forward for reserves, one particular game when Morritt was playing centre forward he scored a goal at the railway end of Millmoor, he had the ball on the byline between the goal post & the corner flag, he came down the byline & put the ball in the net in the corner of the near post, how he scored everyone couldn't believe, the referee & linesman checked the net to see if there was a hole in it, no hole found.

Another match Gordon Morritt stuck out for me was in January 1965, I was 13 years old, me & my mate went to watch Rotherham at Wolverhampton Wanderers in the F.A. Cup, the Millers drew 2-2, Morritt played a blinder in goal, even the Wolves supporters we stood with showed their respect for him. ( You could stand with rival supporters then, with no trouble ). A certain Keith Pring played for the Millers that day.
    Sadly we lost the replay 3-0 at Millmoor.