+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallwood's chances of new Millers deal

Smallwood's chances of new Millers deal

Smallwood is a typical Rotherham United Player. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Davis_(Millers_ View Post
    I agree most of our team have no pace and can't pass a ball.Get him offloaded or he part of the cushty club.
    T

He'll make a good hold midfielder in league one.....but lacks adventure and vision going forward.

Yes we have to play as we mean to go forward but it'll have to be incremental because we can't afford wholesale changes.

Stubbs sent him out because Smallwood didn't have the attributes AS wanted in a player in his position.....he wanted players that could play the more dynamic counter attacking football he was trying to develop - sadly the Numpty defenders who he dropped were letting goals in for fun!

With them gone in the first window and fresh blood to suitably fit the vision going forward - we'd have had a fighting chance!

Sadly - they stayed and AS left - the goals kept raining in - now who said "You can't kick the ball for them"

And those very same players might get another contract !

No wonder those players got rid of Stubbs - saying they were unhappy and he was crap - they were identified as useless under him - yet others played the Numpty defenders all season....and....the goals continued to fly in.....you have to be South Yorkshire Police NOT to see a pattern emerging !

Smallwood ok as holding in league one - please NO Wood - Kelly....main perpetrators of our goals against this year......

Mattock - league one....???

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    He'll make a good hold midfielder in league one.....but lacks adventure and vision going forward.

Yes we have to play as we mean to go forward but it'll have to be incremental because we can't afford wholesale changes.

Stubbs sent him out because Smallwood didn't have the attributes AS wanted in a player in his position.....he wanted players that could play the more dynamic counter attacking football he was trying to develop - sadly the Numpty defenders who he dropped were letting goals in for fun!

With them gone in the first window and fresh blood to suitably fit the vision going forward - we'd have had a fighting chance!

Sadly - they stayed and AS left - the goals kept raining in - now who said "You can't kick the ball for them"

And those very same players might get another contract !

No wonder those players got rid of Stubbs - saying they were unhappy and he was crap - they were identified as useless under him - yet others played the Numpty defenders all season....and....the goals continued to fly in.....you have to be South Yorkshire Police NOT to see a pattern emerging !

Smallwood ok as holding in league one - please NO Wood - Kelly....main perpetrators of our goals against this year......

Mattock - league one....???
    I think Smallwood can do a job in League One, when we were last there he and Frecks were dominant. Smallwood might not be up to the same standard now, I don't know, but I think it's important to keep as many players as we can who were regulars under Warney so we get some continuity.

As for Frecks, I love him, but one manager said to me he would never give a contract to someone (new or old) who hadn't played 20 matches in the season before.

Perhaps that view is worthy of debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Muchthemillersson View Post
    I think Smallwood can do a job in League One, when we were last there he and Frecks were dominant. Smallwood might not be up to the same standard now, I don't know, but I think it's important to keep as many players as we can who were regulars under Warney so we get some continuity.

As for Frecks, I love him, but one manager said to me he would never give a contract to someone (new or old) who hadn't played 20 matches in the season before.

Perhaps that view is worthy of debate?
    Smallwood will do a good job in league one as he's solid in the tackle and won't shirk going in to break up play. I get the point he's not dynamic going forward and tends to have the ability akin to Nicky Law of only knowing how to pass sideways.

One major contributing factor is he gets in some great positions just outside the box but lacks total confidence and ability to shoot when the option is on! I would give him a 12 month contract though.

As for Frecklington he's so frustrating. Great when he's on his game and involved but a nightmare with persistent injuries. Any player who cannot manage 20 games a season is extra baggage for me.

I don't let sentiments get in the way and will say he needs to give his all next season to make up for a poor season. He has one year left on his contract but I would not be renewing it after it expires as he's too injury prone. We'll be lucky to see 20 games again out of him again next season.

The thing that troubles me with this one is,he's good enough for league 1.NO we want players that will be good enough for the championship.Fill our team with league1 players & that's what you have got a lge1 club.We have to show some ambition surely.

I agree long term contracts should be only be given to players who can step up to the Championship like Ajayi & hopefully Adeyemi. Give Smallwood a years rolling contract. Depends what league we're in season 2018/19 if we extend it.

Get him signed, he's the one that knows how to tackle or not afraid to and get others to train with in

IMO when Frecks isn't captain Smallwood should be then Wood, laughable that mardy arse Ward is

Yes I can see tin pot Mickey Mouse club being used a lot next season
    Last edited by millertop; 22-04-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    The thing that troubles me with this one is,he's good enough for league 1.NO we want players that will be good enough for the championship.Fill our team with league1 players & that's what you have got a lge1 club.We have to show some ambition surely.
    Interesting debate this because successive Sheffield United managers said something similar and filled their teams with players who "could do a job in the Championship."
    Unfortunately these so-called quality players routinely failed to get the club promoted and they languished in League 1 for 5 seasons.
    Then along came Chris Wilder and in one of his early interviews he said he intended to build a team that was capable of getting out of League 1 as that was absolutely the main priority and, hey presto, he achieved promotion at the first time of asking.
    Of course, one of his challenges now will be to add some extra quality to the squad so they can compete in the Championship.
    Personally I hope we follow the Chris Wilder approach rather than trying to run before we can walk.

When "looking forward" - age and ability to improve are important as we have proven this year that we can't buy the team for the championship.

We have to take the core with us and that fundamentally what undermined this season.

Attracting good young players.....we need the facilities.......and they have to be good!

Attracting good young players.....we need a good coach.....sigh......just can't see PW or RB polishing any diamonds and / or attracting disenfranchised Premiership U21's. Sorry - but Stubbs and his team had the credentials for just this job for us....just a little more patience...

Ah - we'll.....Fans will be a little bit more aware of the harsh nature of the championship now - it bites!

It's a problem....that won't be solved quickly..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast