+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Happy

O/T Happy

St Georges Day my fellow Englishmen.

Post a reply if you're proud to be English.

I see if Jeremy C gets the gig in June, all the Patron Saints Days in Britain will become bank holidays in England.

Cant see that being enough to sway the electorate tbh lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    St Georges Day my fellow Englishmen.

Post a reply if you're proud to be English.

I see if Jeremy C gets the gig in June, all the Patron Saints Days in Britain will become bank holidays in England.

Cant see that being enough to sway the electorate tbh lol.

Though I currently (and for the foreseeable future) spend most of my time in Ireland, there are many things I like and appreciate about life in England

Immensely proud to be English Riley.

I also make sure my 2 boys understand the importance of been proud of your country.

UTM

Got to be an England shirt day!!!

It does seem ironic that certain examples of the White English master race are flying the flag of a Palestinian, who they would be accusing of being a terrorist and groomer today.
    What comparable freedoms, liberal democracy and rights we have today have had to be fought for and the powers that be dug in and resisted as long as possible.

Tha not partying then brass lol

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Though I currently (and for the foreseeable future) spend most of my time in Ireland, there are many things I like and appreciate about life in England
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder they say.

I once read a piece where someone or other said we don't know how lucky we are to be English.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder they say.

I once read a piece where someone or other said we don't know how lucky we are to be English.

Enough good in it for me (being English) - good, bad and indifferent in every place I've ever lived

Quote Originally Posted by brassgnat View Post
    It does seem ironic that certain examples of the White English master race are flying the flag of a Palestinian, who they would be accusing of being a terrorist and groomer today.
    What comparable freedoms, liberal democracy and rights we have today have had to be fought for and the powers that be dug in and resisted as long as possible.
    St George is just a name Brass. Its whether you're proud of England or not as to whether you celebrate today.

A couple of things brought it home to me recently.

I was up around Lady Bower a few weeks ago and out in the countryside. I got chatting to an Australian lad who was backpacking. I joked with him that if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be leaving Oz to come over here. He was amazed. He said all his friends and family were Jealous to death with him visiting Lady Bower and the surrounding area, he said people all over the World visited the area and we don't know just how lucky we are to have it on our doorstep.

Secondly I had to spend a couple of days in Fife this week. The satnav took me off the normal route due to an accident ahead on the A1. Some of the sights I saw were breathtaking as were many of the little villages I passed on route to Bonny Scotland.

That's why I'm feeling proud to be English this weekend, nowt to do with any Palestinian pal tbh.

I am immensely proud of being English and feel humbled by the fact that I was lucky enough to be born here. Despite its faults and the attacks it receives from those without and within, I still believe this country to be the finest in the world and one of the best in which to live. The things we take for granted (and sometimes complain about) are things people in other naions can only dream about. When I turn my tap on water comes out, I can flick a switch and my house becomes warm and I certainly don't have to sell my children into servitude or worse. Our Island is rarely affected by natural disasters and although we rarely agree with one another, we have a strong form of freedom of speech, our human rights are protected and we have due process against any state overreach.
    Patron saints days?? Not for me. The whole idea of sainthood was another way the catholic church found to generate more funds from their followers and this country has not followed catholic traditions for 500 years. In our instance the choice of George (who we share with numerous other nations) is utterly bizarre as his links to England are pretty non-existant. The people who always complain that we don't celebrate St George like the irish celebrate St Patrick ignore the fact that Ireland is a catholic country and continue to follow catholic traditions such as drinking Guinness until you can no longer see.
    I have no problem with another bank holiday as a national day but at a time of economic uncertainty I am not sure the business community would appreciate another day of reduced revenues and continued costs and April 23rd would be a poor choice given how close it often is to the 2 easter dates and the 2 May dates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast