+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Prodigal Sons Return

When Prodigal Sons Return

The recent thread and other discussions about Chris Martin, and especially comments about players never being as good when they rejoin a club, made me think about when its happened to Derby in the past.

Some that I can remember:

Kevin Hector. Wasn't as good on his return, but I don't think he was expected to be, he was expected to be good enough in a vastly inferior side, and he was. So the jury's out on that one

Charlie George. Similar to Kev, certainly not as good but also certainly the best player in a bad side for the few games he played. Jury again out

Roy MacFarland. A no for me, he returned out of necessity and seeing him as a 'normal' level centre half was depressing after recalling what he was like at his best

Archie Gemmell. His heart was most definitely in it, on a good pitch he could still run a game like no-one we've seen for decades, but in the BBG mud but his legs went, so I'd say this was a defo no.

Bobby Davidson. For me for sure yes, bloody excellent in his first spell, surprisingly he hit the ground running and showed genuine passion for the club as he almost got us back to the top flight. So yes.

Any others, or any different views on the above, anyone?
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 23-04-2017 at 05:51 PM.

May I add Seth Johnson as a successful returnee? Despite being crocked, he was a major force behind our promotion in 2007, much matured from his early days on the left wing, but still retained his quality and positive impact on those around him.

Also add Steve McClaren as returning prodigal a record number of times. Player to coach (success) to manager (short term success then....) to manager (fail)

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Also add Steve McClaren as returning prodigal a record number of times. Player to coach (success) to manager (short term success then....) to manager (fail)
    If you're including managers, Peter Taylor 'top six by Christmas' (fail)

Maybe the difference is that all the others you mentioned were coming to the end of their careers when they returned Rog, although I do remember the return of Bobby D - playing alongside Ian Ormandroyd as I recall - with great fondness. At 28 that shouldn't be the same with Chris Martin, he should be at his peak but I suspect there may be other issues.

P.S. Ian Ormandroyd's son, Jack, now plays for Leeds in RL's Super League. All his dad's height but weighs about seven**** stones...takes some stopping!

Good shout RR - probably had more management failures when returning though. Colin Todd and John Gregory immediately come to mind.

What about the most successful player as returning manager?? In my time Maclaren is assistant to Jim at a successful time and got us to play-offs as manager!! Tim Ward built a solid team but nothing spectacular, however, signed Durban and Hector!! Storer probably wins in my time, got us out of Division 3 North and kept us in 2nd Division. Gave us players like Matthews and Curry who were idols at the time!! Won England caps whilst at the Rams, played cricket for Derbyshire and appeared during their one and only Championship. Not bad eh!!

Can you also remember the return of Jimmy Methven as manager, Mac?

Just missed out on him, did you know him personally

What about prodigal posters who return?

' It is appropriate to celebrate and be glad... for your brother was lost..
    But now is found'
    Luke 15:32

Amen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)