shopify analytics
+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Tree Felling; right or wrong?

  1. #1

    Tree Felling; right or wrong?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-38024846

    I came back to these boards (unless they're entirely new boards?) to talk about this. We have exactly the same thing happening in Gloucester, lines of trees being chopped down with no notification, presumably because many residents would kick up a fuss. Yes, diseased trees are fair game, and maybe if the roots are causing problems, but shouldn't there be more consultation about such matters. The answer, for councils, is presumably, 'no', it's just too much aggro for them, and not 'efficient'.

    So who favours advance notice?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-38024846

    I came back to these boards (unless they're entirely new boards?) to talk about this. We have exactly the same thing happening in Gloucester, lines of trees being chopped down with no notification, presumably because many residents would kick up a fuss. Yes, diseased trees are fair game, and maybe if the roots are causing problems, but shouldn't there be more consultation about such matters. The answer, for councils, is presumably, 'no', it's just too much aggro for them, and not 'efficient'.

    So who favours advance notice?

    I love trees as much as the next bloke but sometimes they need to come down, whether through disease or practical reasons....'tree huggers' do my nut in in a lot of circumstances, it's not like Sheffield Council are decimating thousands of square miles of tropical rain forest destroying the natural habitat of endangered species.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    I love trees as much as the next bloke but sometimes they need to come down, whether through disease or practical reasons....'tree huggers' do my nut in in a lot of circumstances, it's not like Sheffield Council are decimating thousands of square miles of tropical rain forest destroying the natural habitat of endangered species.
    Sheffield city council are a disgrace. Turning up at Rustlings road at 2/3 in the morning to chop down trees and having residents arrested for for making peaceful protests

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dmb View Post
    Sheffield city council are a disgrace. Turning up at Rustlings road at 2/3 in the morning to chop down trees and having residents arrested for for making peaceful protests
    I'm not on about the way the council went about it, or how they go about business in general, which is pretty poor in many areas, no, my point is that trees sometimes have to come down.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    I love trees as much as the next bloke but sometimes they need to come down, whether through disease or practical reasons....'tree huggers' do my nut in in a lot of circumstances, it's not like Sheffield Council are decimating thousands of square miles of tropical rain forest destroying the natural habitat of endangered species.
    And I did cover the issue of disease and practicality in my OP. As Dmb said, it's the furtive behaviour of councils that I take exception to. I was never much of a tree hugger myself, but I'm very definitely a believer in cluing local communities into big changes to their landscape before those changes are a done deal.

    There's no indication in the story that anyone was notified in advance of the plan to fell these trees, in the middle of the night or any other time, which should be seen as disgraceful. Has anyone heard different, from cabinet member for environment Bryan Lodge, or other?

    On a side note, it seems I do have the wrong boards. I'm kicking myself for not realising it sooner. I just thought the old Sheffield boards were really going the extra mile to create space for all the other clubs, when this club is on a par with all the rest. Does anyone have a link to the Sheffield boards? They were huge ten years ago. Wait, found it, and the convo is blowing up (and quite old)...

    https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/sho....php?t=1490584
    Last edited by Joe_K; 29-04-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: missed an 'of'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •