+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tree Felling; right or wrong?

Tree Felling; right or wrong?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-38024846

I came back to these boards (unless they're entirely new boards?) to talk about this. We have exactly the same thing happening in Gloucester, lines of trees being chopped down with no notification, presumably because many residents would kick up a fuss. Yes, diseased trees are fair game, and maybe if the roots are causing problems, but shouldn't there be more consultation about such matters. The answer, for councils, is presumably, 'no', it's just too much aggro for them, and not 'efficient'.

So who favours advance notice?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-38024846

I came back to these boards (unless they're entirely new boards?) to talk about this. We have exactly the same thing happening in Gloucester, lines of trees being chopped down with no notification, presumably because many residents would kick up a fuss. Yes, diseased trees are fair game, and maybe if the roots are causing problems, but shouldn't there be more consultation about such matters. The answer, for councils, is presumably, 'no', it's just too much aggro for them, and not 'efficient'.

So who favours advance notice?

I love trees as much as the next bloke but sometimes they need to come down, whether through disease or practical reasons....'tree huggers' do my nut in in a lot of circumstances, it's not like Sheffield Council are decimating thousands of square miles of tropical rain forest destroying the natural habitat of endangered species.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    I love trees as much as the next bloke but sometimes they need to come down, whether through disease or practical reasons....'tree huggers' do my nut in in a lot of circumstances, it's not like Sheffield Council are decimating thousands of square miles of tropical rain forest destroying the natural habitat of endangered species.
    Sheffield city council are a disgrace. Turning up at Rustlings road at 2/3 in the morning to chop down trees and having residents arrested for for making peaceful protests

Quote Originally Posted by dmb View Post
    Sheffield city council are a disgrace. Turning up at Rustlings road at 2/3 in the morning to chop down trees and having residents arrested for for making peaceful protests
    I'm not on about the way the council went about it, or how they go about business in general, which is pretty poor in many areas, no, my point is that trees sometimes have to come down.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    And I did cover the issue of disease and practicality in my OP. As Dmb said, it's the furtive behaviour of councils that I take exception to. I was never much of a tree hugger myself, but I'm very definitely a believer in cluing local communities into big changes to their landscape before those changes are a done deal.

There's no indication in the story that anyone was notified in advance of the plan to fell these trees, in the middle of the night or any other time, which should be seen as disgraceful. Has anyone heard different, from cabinet member for environment Bryan Lodge, or other?

On a side note, it seems I do have the wrong boards. I'm kicking myself for not realising it sooner. I just thought the old Sheffield boards were really going the extra mile to create space for all the other clubs, when this club is on a par with all the rest. Does anyone have a link to the Sheffield boards? They were huge ten years ago. Wait, found it, and the convo is blowing up (and quite old)...

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/sho....php?t=1490584
    Last edited by Joe_K; 29-04-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: missed an 'of'

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)