+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: O/t Where are you lads going for your holidays

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Ravenfield, Wickersley, Greasbrough 3 weeks, SW Florida Gulf Coast 49 weeks.
    Anything to get away from those fires I suppose

Went to Froggys with our lass & the boys in February for a few nights...enjoyed it.
    Off to Cornwall in august for a week (Falmouth)...
    Then as soon as we can we'll book for Alcudia for next year..
    And as soon as the bundesliga fixtures are out I'll be booking a weekend in Germany again...probably a Koln game away this time to tick off another stadium..following Koln.
    Would love to do Norway but I hear it's mega expensive.
    Fancy doing loads of city breaks in Europe...taking in a game at the same time.

Off to Poland for a few days in June. I say how much our lads enjoyed it pre-season and couldn't wait to get it booked.

Quote Originally Posted by kempo View Post
    Not sure why anyone would put up fictitious holidays but each to their own.

Talking about nobs and holidays.....When me and Mrs K went on our hols 2 years ago...I had "" Wish you were here in Acapulco Mexico" tattooed on mine.
    Or just the letter "k"..cos you could only get to "kem"..so you thought f*ck it, " ill just have "k"...

Pretty much cities all the way for us, as usual.

Started the year in the Hungarian city of Pécs then back to Budapest.
    I had my birthday in Tallinn, Estonia in February.

Next month it's Bratislava and Budapest to see Depeche Mode before Cluj-Napoca in Romania for the end of DM's European dates in July.

No plans to be in Budapest in July yet, but we'll see

Nothing booked for end of year yet either, but there'll be another couple of Budapest trips and possibly finish the year in Sopron, another Hungarian city for NYE.

Just on the subject of football abroad, that Vespabri mentioned, been to quite a few abroad but particularly Budapest more recently.
    My adopted team Honvéd are currently joint top of Hungarian NB1 with two games to go and play the other team at the top Videoton in what could be the title decider last game, two days after I come home
    Would be there first title for years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    Pretty much cities all the way for us, as usual.

Started the year in the Hungarian city of Pécs then back to Budapest.
    I had my birthday in Tallinn, Estonia in February.

Next month it's Bratislava and Budapest to see Depeche Mode before Cluj-Napoca in Romania for the end of DM's European dates in July.

No plans to be in Budapest in July yet, but we'll see

Nothing booked for end of year yet either, but there'll be another couple of Budapest trips and possibly finish the year in Sopron, another Hungarian city for NYE.

Just on the subject of football abroad, that Vespabri mentioned, been to quite a few abroad but particularly Budapest more recently.
    My adopted team Honvéd are currently joint top of Hungarian NB1 with two games to go and play the other team at the top Videoton in what could be the title decider last game, two days after I come home
    Would be there first title for years as well.
    Just curious, Magyar - and tell me to mind my own business if it's inappropriate to ask - but what takes you to Hungary/East Europe so much? Is there a work or family connection?

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Just curious, Magyar - and tell me to mind my own business if it's inappropriate to ask - but what takes you to Hungary/East Europe so much? Is there a work or family connection?
    No problem with the question at all CT.

Always preferred city break type holidays and when me and the missus got together almost 20 years ago she was the same.
    So always travelled quite extensively round Europe
    We started going to Prague quite often and did a few train trips from there to Brno and Bratislava.

We looked at possibly buying a place there as we were going so much, but it was a bit out of our budget for the type of place we were after.
    Around that time we visited Budapest for the first time in 2004 and loved it.

After a few more visits we looked into property there and it was much more affordable.
    Went for it and got a small flat there in 2009, which was a part of a massive regeneration project and never regretted it.

On one of our first visits we went over to Vienna for the day, just under 3 hours away but what amazed us when looking for the station we needed (in our pre-internet days) was how many other places it was really easy to get to from Budapest, that really fired our imagination and helped with the decision to buy there.

So that's the very long winded (sorry) answer, and is the simple answer for the user name as well, we'd just got back when I signed up and MagyarMiller seemed more interesting than High Peak Miller, in fact, if I remember correctly there was already somebody signed up with something similar to that at the time.

Hope Honved win for you Magyar, the team Ferenc Puskas played for before he zipped off to Real Madrid.

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    No problem with the question at all CT.

Always preferred city break type holidays and when me and the missus got together almost 20 years ago she was the same.
    So always travelled quite extensively round Europe
    We started going to Prague quite often and did a few train trips from there to Brno and Bratislava.

We looked at possibly buying a place there as we were going so much, but it was a bit out of our budget for the type of place we were after.
    Around that time we visited Budapest for the first time in 2004 and loved it.

After a few more visits we looked into property there and it was much more affordable.
    Went for it and got a small flat there in 2009, which was a part of a massive regeneration project and never regretted it.

On one of our first visits we went over to Vienna for the day, just under 3 hours away but what amazed us when looking for the station we needed (in our pre-internet days) was how many other places it was really easy to get to from Budapest, that really fired our imagination and helped with the decision to buy there.

So that's the very long winded (sorry) answer, and is the simple answer for the user name as well, we'd just got back when I signed up and MagyarMiller seemed more interesting than High Peak Miller, in fact, if I remember correctly there was already somebody signed up with something similar to that at the time.
    Thanks, Magyar. Long but not long winded and definitely worth hearing about. I have a couple of Hungarian friends here who escaped after 1956. Not an easy time and quite a story. It's strange to think that so much has happened in that country and that now one can come and go there so easily.

Interesting you mention 1956 CT, our flat is in Józsefváros, District VIII where a couple of the significant events took place.
    The radio station where students tried to get their demands heard at the very start of the uprising is in our district.
    We're even closer to the Corvin Cinema and Corvin Passage where one of the longest and strongest points of resistance was centred.
    There's still quite a few buildings in our area with fairly obvious bullet holes in them.
    It's certainly can provide a sobering thought when we walk through there (which is most days whenever we're in Budapest) that you're passing places of genuine heroism.

It still feels incredible that we've got a place there, and I feel very fortunate to be in the position to move around places in Europe like that so freely.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast