+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: O/t Where are you lads going for your holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    Hope Honved win for you Magyar, the team Ferenc Puskas played for before he zipped off to Real Madrid.
    Sorry for late reply Zilzal, only just spotted your post.

Indeed it is and part of the reason I stuck with them after visiting most of the other Budapest teams. I remember talking to my Dad about Puskas when I was younger.
    The other reason is they play in Red (and black).
    There is a team in our district, MTK who I feel I should have gone with, but I just couldn't get passed their blue and white, occasionally striped, kit

Talking of Honvéd, they've actually got four games to go not two, as I posted originally, plenty of time to bugger it up.

A man after my own heart Magyar.

I like nothing better than moving around Europe from city to city, sucking it dry and then moving on to another place another culture.
    Do they still have major bands on in the Revolution Park (forgotten its real name). When we were there Robert Plant was playing. I'd already seen Led Zeppelin live and would later go on to see Plant-Page band in Cologne so we thought we'd not pay, simply lie in the grass and listen.

Eventually we decided we must see them, it was Robert plus an excellent young band of about 6 or 7 musicians.

The protruding playing area was heavily guarded by police each with his own savage, snarling Alsatian dog and if any non payer attempted to run at the perimeter wall, the guards turned a blind eye and let the dog given you a good mauling. The band played stuff from their debut album, heavily interspersed with Led Zep classics. The temptation was too great and as the many guards didn't parade the perimeter in given time the chance of one coming straight after another was high.

Modus operandi. Stand well back and then run at the wall full-tilt. The impact sends you high into the air and then a fellow fan would grab you and hoist you on to the outer rim. It was then a question of climbing over the fence unnoticed. Sounds mean but it was good fun.

Budapest has one of the most frequent transport systems in the world. The buses and trams practically grab you from the pavement and yank you aboard. We stayed in a fine little flat with 24 hour mini spermarkets on every street corner. The cars at that time were really cute and tiny like dinky toys. Really funny to see them parked bumper to bumper on every street, thousands of them. Is it Fisherman's Castle where you can climb and look down on a striking Parliament building beautifully lit at night near the huge bend in the river Danube.

Other musical lowlights. Seeing Hungary's supposed best R and R band again outside and going to the State Opera House to hear an avant garde Russian conduct Mozart's Don Giovanni. Bored stiff and slipped out early, very early. Also on Andrassy we went into a midnight bar and I sat next to Yoko Ono. She never said a word, just listened to two loud voiced pretentious American artists talking about Andy. Must've been Warhol. I accidentally knocked a full pint glass of beer at Yoko's feet. Terrific bang as the glass was empty. She eventually left with one of the men, who turned out to be her lover when Lennon was still alive.

Fine city with its truly authentic goulash. You're very lucky.

Just seen your post Magyar. I once saw MTK Budapest win the Cup Winners Cup. Their right winger was called Sandor, was in his early forties and like grease lightning. Also Liked Ferenc Bene of Ujpesti Dosza, fast and clever. Along with Holland 1974, Hungary are the greatest team 1954 Never to have won the World Cup. Both sides lost to West Germany after thinking the game was going to be a doddle. Hungary 2-0 up after 8 minutes, OG and Puskas. Let in a sloppy goal after 10 then went to sleep and woke up 3-2 down.

In the 90th minute Puskas broke down the left, went past 3 defenders and fearing the whistle he crashed in a 25 yard stunner with his famout left foot. 3-3. BUT NO! Goal disallowed for offside. There was a German ahead of Puskas on the other side of the field and FP had dribbled past 3 men...don't understand it today. In the group stage Hungary beat Germany 6-2.

Complacency? LIke the Dutch in 1974 when Neeskens scored in the first minute and Cruyff ordered his team to take the piss out of Germany instead of concentrating on finishing the game off. Ah well.

Zilzal..

WTF are you doing up at such an unearthly hour?

I have noticed that this is quite common.

Now I know that you don't work a night shift so why are you such a night owl?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    Just seen your post Magyar. I once saw MTK Budapest win the Cup Winners Cup. Their right winger was called Sandor, was in his early forties and like grease lightning. Also Liked Ferenc Bene of Ujpesti Dosza, fast and clever. Along with Holland 1974, Hungary are the greatest team 1954 Never to have won the World Cup. Both sides lost to West Germany after thinking the game was going to be a doddle. Hungary 2-0 up after 8 minutes, OG and Puskas. Let in a sloppy goal after 10 then went to sleep and woke up 3-2 down.

In the 90th minute Puskas broke down the left, went past 3 defenders and fearing the whistle he crashed in a 25 yard stunner with his famout left foot. 3-3. BUT NO! Goal disallowed for offside. There was a German ahead of Puskas on the other side of the field and FP had dribbled past 3 men...don't understand it today. In the group stage Hungary beat Germany 6-2.

Complacency? LIke the Dutch in 1974 when Neeskens scored in the first minute and Cruyff ordered his team to take the piss out of Germany instead of concentrating on finishing the game off. Ah well.
    Zilzal...First of all I apologise for my impertinence but are you sure that MTK won?..or did they lose to Sporting Lisbon?

I do apologise as its likely that you are correct and I have got things wrong but just want to make sure of the facts.

Please feel free to correct me and even slap me down for my ignorance and sheer impertinence.

FFS as they say, this is a holiday thread not a football one. Can we please get back to being O/T

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    Interesting you mention 1956 CT, our flat is in Józsefváros, District VIII where a couple of the significant events took place.
    The radio station where students tried to get their demands heard at the very start of the uprising is in our district.
    We're even closer to the Corvin Cinema and Corvin Passage where one of the longest and strongest points of resistance was centred.
    There's still quite a few buildings in our area with fairly obvious bullet holes in them.
    It's certainly can provide a sobering thought when we walk through there (which is most days whenever we're in Budapest) that you're passing places of genuine heroism.

It still feels incredible that we've got a place there, and I feel very fortunate to be in the position to move around places in Europe like that so freely.
    Many thanks for the additional "colour", Magyar. Always amazing to have first hand experience of what one reads about. I remember flying into Hanoi's old military airport in the late 80's when it was still very influenced by Uncle Ho's rule. As we landed you could still see the triple bomb craters all along the runway from Lyndon Johnson's "Rolling Thunder" B 52 attacks.

The Hungarian friend I mentioned is the then three month old daughter referenced in Maria Csanadi's memoir "Precious Legacy" here https://www.amazon.com/Precious-Lega.../dp/0984148604

Kempo I had a hot date with an underage schoolgirl that night and I thought 'mmi it's a difficult one. Watching MTK v Sporting Club or further practising my clitoral stimulation technique on a real honey of a 15 year old.

I was just slipping into my leathers when the game came on. I was immediately captivated by the dazzling skills of Sandor Karoly and was amazed by how old and fast and brilliant the no.7 was, like an East European Garrincha, who's the best I've ever seen on anybody's right wing.

So there you are, locked in a chain of footy magic and ***ual turmoil.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast