+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: o/t were we more tolerant 30 years ago

o/t were we more tolerant 30 years ago

Just thinking of my local boozer, around thirty years ago,

Among the clientele were:

Half a dozen Roman catholics of Irish descent, half of which had Republican sympathies.

An ex Glaswegian - squaddie and Orangeman.

dozens of white working class racists ( Liked Labour but didn't like foreigners)

One ex-public school boy....a massive Thatcherite.

10 or so Scargill worshipping Miners.

4 punks and anarchists.

A constant stream of Lesbians.

2 gay blokes

A vegetarian type ( the first one I ever met)

One national front member.

Countless working class tories.

One alcoholic Pakistani.

Now I will not say there wasn't any banter, there was plenty, much of it by today's standards would be labelled offensive, though in my opinion it was undeniably funny. Yes there were fallouts and fisticuffs, usually about money, women etc but I honestly can't remember any violence or rifts because of each others political/ religious views/ or ***uality.

Everyone seemed to like the differences.....it made it an interesting place but there was no politically correct, censoring of talk and banter......we were all adults and could handle the situation.

Is it fair to say then that we have become less tolerant today because it seems to me that unless you are a trendy liberal type you are not allowed to have a 'contrary' opinion?
    Last edited by the_idiotb_stardson; 27-04-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

Half a dozen Roman catholics of Irish descent, half of which had Republican sympathies.

dozens of white working class racists ( Liked Labour but didn't like foreigners)

4 punks and anarchists.

2 gay blokes

One alcoholic Pakistani.

Now I will not say there wasn't any banter, there was plenty, much of it by today's standards would be labelled offensive, though in my opinion it was undeniably funny. Yes there were fallouts and fisticuffs, usually about money, women etc but I honestly can't remember any violence or rifts because of each others political/ religious views/ or ***uality.

Everyone seemed to like the differences.....it made it an interesting place but there was no politically correct, censoring of talk and banter......we were all adults and could handle the situation.

Is it fair to say then that we have become less tolerant today because it seems to me that unless you are a trendy liberal type you are not allowed to have a 'contrary' opinion?
    Which one were you? I'm going to guess at one of the Lesbians?

I prefer to believe that IBS was making everyone laugh with his deadpan wit and general bonhomie.

Me too, just as a lesbian

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Which one were you? I'm going to guess at one of the Lesbians?
    I think you have misread this, the 'constant stream of Lesbians' were young ladies who turned IBS's advances down.

IBS, what a plonker you are: not so long ago you lads were burning "contrary opinion" at the stake and threatening Gallileo with the Inquisition. Stop making up Brigadoon style past fantasies and get a life.

Po

4 punks and anarchists.

2 gay blokes

One alcoholic Pakistani.

Can't be true, IBS. That "dramatis personae" from your pub thirty years ago could be a typical evenings complement of posters on MM (well, perhaps not the "constant stream of lesbians" though not for the want of trying on Zilzal's part....) Surely we're the poster child for what tolerance should look like?

4 punks and anarchists.

2 gay blokes

One alcoholic Pakistani.

Is it boarded up now or knocked down?

Was it a good pint.