+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wednesday Playoffs 2017

No qualms from me about the result. Huddersfield were the better side over the two legs and certainly deserve a shot at the big time at Wembley.

The difference between the two sides? David Wagner.

Got his tactics and team selection spot on, especially last night. Huddersfield controlled the tempo of the game for 90 minutes. They slowed it right down at the start to quieten the fans and frustrate us, and then went full throttle when they needed a goal. They saw a weakness in our left back and capitalised on it, which resulted in an equaliser.

I wondered what all the fuss was about before last night, but after the game I walked away understanding why European giants like Borussia Dortmund are keeping tabs on Wagner.

In contrast we looked nervous, tired and struggled to wrestle control of the game from Huddersfield. I saw a stat this morning saying that apart from Fletcher, we started with the same team that finished the game against Hull at Wembley last year – I think that tells you everything you need to know about our recruitment this season…

Was it a successful season?

We improved again and finished up 15+ points better off than last season, despite having an injury list longer than my arm for the majority of it and missing key players like Lee, Hooper and Hutchinson. It wasn’t pretty to watch, but it got us over the line to achieve our goal – we just couldn’t go one better and win promotion.

Does Carlos deserve to stay on?

It’s not a convincing yes, but you can’t argue with the fact that he achieved our goal of getting into the play-offs. I’m frustrated with the way he set us up over the two play-off games, but I understand that with injuries and lack of fitness he probably had no choice.

It’s Chansiri’s decision. If he has any doubts over Carlos’ ability to mount a promotion challenge next season then now is the time for change. If he thinks he’s the man to lead that challenge then he needs to publicly back him by giving him a new contact.
    Interesting few days coming up I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestripe View Post
    So proud of the way Wednesday have got themselves into this position.
    Water under the bridge now, but how much have injuries cost us this year

My choice, Hudds in semis...Reading in final (they took 6 pts off us...though we had weak lineups in both games)

Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherhamowl10 View Post
    I think most of us did. It's an amazing turnaround and even Carlos himself has upped his game - switching to 4-3-3 against Derby when we went 1-0 down was a masterstroke!

I don't fear any of the teams in the play-offs to be honest. Huddersfield would be the obvious preference but I'm not keen on playing at 12:00pm on a Sunday so I'd take third place if we can.

It's another season of improvement and if we don't do it this year, I'm pretty confident that we'll be challenging for automatic promotion next season.

Exciting times ahead.
    That went well then not phooking 'excited' now are ya ?

Well done to Huddersfield - played a smart strategy to get over the line....lessons to be learnt by all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestripe View Post
    So proud of the way Wednesday have got themselves into this position.
    Water under the bridge now, but how much have injuries cost us this year

My choice, Hudds in semis...Reading in final (they took 6 pts off us...though we had weak lineups in both games)
    You're 'weak' end of.

Quote Originally Posted by RavBlade View Post
    That went well then not phooking 'excited' now are ya ?
    "It's another season of improvement and if we don't do it this year, I'm pretty confident that we'll be challenging for automatic promotion next season."

errrm, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by dmb View Post
    Its a great run we've had and I'll hold my hand up and admit I doubted Carlos but he's proved me wrong
    Not really bothered who we play we're in form and have the strongest squad if we turn up were going up !
    Drop us a pm will you matey.

Quote Originally Posted by MSN View Post
    Drop us a pm will you matey.
    You do know thats blow job in NSUs own language?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherhamowl10 View Post
    "It's another season of improvement and if we don't do it this year, I'm pretty confident that we'll be challenging for automatic promotion next season."

errrm, yes?
    errrm NO Deluded yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by RavBlade View Post
    errrm NO Deluded yet again.
    I don't think you know the meaning of the word 'deluded'.

Ask your teacher.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)