+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Sam Rush...what next?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    You might not like the word but in essence he is a dictator. As you say yourself, he would want full control.. So a dictator then.

I too do not expect promotion next season. Too much work to do I think. 2 or 3 max in the summer, maybe something in the New Year coming in but is essence the same team. I would rather a marquee signing to be honest. Something to lift the place, get everyone together. Can Dean Saunders still play? Please not just squad players, that will solve nothing.

What will be more interesting is to see who goes..
    Dean Saunders! Now you're talking...what a signing. Has there been a better debut in the last twenty...oops...nearly thirty years?

Strangely...one made by a true dictator...from one of 'his' clubs to another.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Dean Saunders! Now you're talking...what a signing. Has there been a better debut in the last twenty...oops...nearly thirty years?

Good point, the one few things Maxwell got right.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    His managerial career however has been laughable Anag, remember when he left Donny to goto Wolverhampton and take them down ?

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    His managerial career however has been laughable Anag, remember when he left Donny to goto Wolverhampton and take them down ?
    Yep, just goes to show. Saunders and Colin Todd two of my all time favourite players and both went on to be dreadful managers. McFarland and Stimac weren't much better either whereas the likes of Mourinho, Wenger and the Bald Eagle were decidedly average.

Id say Colin Todd did well at Bolton, back in the day when we were two very similar clubs and we went up to the Premship together. (in fact us, Bolton & C.Palace all went up and straight back down again the following season. Has that ever happened before ?)
    Speaking of Saunders again I think he flopped at both Crawley and Chesterfield, I wonder who will be the next misguided team to hire him!!

I reckon as managers they were too nice!! Nice will get you so far but sooner or later you need the ability to manipulate, coerce or simply bully players into jumping through hoops when needed. That's what they lacked. Both real football men but don't have the 'edge' to their nature that enables a manager to get the best out of their crew, especially when the team is struggling. Has Rowett got that. We shall see!!

How many times can or do we say that Mac, about managers who were just 'too nice' ?
    Ive got little or no time at all these days for Newcastle and their arrogance, but Id say Kevin Keegan was too nice (or too naive) when they blew the title to ManUre.
    Ossie Ardiles was the same at Tottenham, a great attacking team who won nothing at the end of the day for being too nice again etc..

Is it Pochettino's problem?? Got Spurs to the edge twice, twice bottled it. Chelski certainly won't bottle it, that's the difference!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Is it Pochettino's problem?? Got Spurs to the edge twice, twice bottled it. Chelski certainly won't bottle it, that's the difference!!
    Yes it could be down to Pochettino himself as to why this Tottenham team dont win the big prizes.
    As a neutral fan here Id love to see Tottenham win the Title, but for whatever reason they just arent good enough. And 2nd or 3rd place (and an Fa Cup Semi final) seems to be the best that they are capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    Good point, the one few things Maxwell got right.
    Think he got a few things 'right'...wasn't it under him we also signed Wright, Shilton, McMinn and Hebbard? Not sure how much was down to him and how much down to Arthur. Pity he was such an egotistical ****.

Not sure I'd 'dismiss' Pochettino as being 'too nice'. Only his second season at Tottenham, early days and for them to be one of the top three sides in the country and so far ahead of Arsenal has been unheard of for half a century or more.,

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)