+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Youngsters to push on?

Youngsters to push on?

So who will truly make an impact next season? 3 years ago we were all excited at the prospect of Saunders making the move up....but. It never happened. It was thought Ainley and Kirk would have bedded in but the latter has not really got going and the former has only just started to get a look in. For me Ainley should command a place next season and I'm hoping that Lowery will slot in nicely. I' also hopeful about Dale. However, the latest 3 just look like 15 year olds. Can't see them ilmposing themselves on league 2!
    Thoughts anyone?

The $64,000 dollar question!

I have been very encouraged by Ainley's cameo performances when on for 15 minutes or so, but would like to see him start more often. Kirk has more to prove, I think - as you say gazan, never got going. I haven't seen Lowery or Dale so can't comment. Saunders has surely had his chance and Udoh will need to shape up. I just think of Colclough at a similar age to Ainley and he was more of a flash in the pan at that time, but his last 6 months with us was excellent, so I'm optimistic.

I have also been impressed with Wintle, who looks more of a man than the other lads mentioned; as you suggest, gazan, some of the others still look like kids - big season for those we retain, and I think Saunders will be the only one we don't.

They all look really young, don't they, when they sign on? I've seen most of the home under 23 games this season, but Ross Woodcock hasn't been involved much until the latter part; he actually looks a solidly built right back, a defender first and foremost. Lewis Reilly looks very young in the face as you see him on the bench, and warming up, but again, when on the pitch, he's quite a strong lad, confident with his back to the goal, and successful with Radcliffe Borough on loan towards the end of the season - that's the level below Nantwich's; he scored into double figures, and even captained that side a couple of times. I've seen him only as a substitute at under 23 level so far, but it's been noticeable that he is trusted with the free-kicks within scoring range ahead of the likes of Kirk, Ainley, Wintle. Lundstrum looks a steady midfielder in the brief appearances for the under 23's.

Wintle looked a steady midfielder in the same way, when he first came from Alsager, but I've been impressed with his ability to command games this season, and I think he's the most likely one to make a lot of first team appearances next season; he has said in interview, that maybe the manager doesn't need to bring anyone in, in his position, so he's not lacking in confidence. Ainley and Kirk are different kinds of attackers, who have complemented each other well at youth and under 23 level, but in a struggling first team, it hasn't really been possible to have them both on the pitch at the same time. Both seemed to have had dips in form during this season, though Kirk's dip has been more notable. Finding the right role for each of them will be important. Charlie gets too easily frustrated when the things he tries don't come off, and he still has lapses of concentration over defensive duties.

Harry Pickering was given a debut in an unfamiliar role last home game; he's potentially an excellent left back; I suspect Artell gave him his debut in such a comfortable game, to ease his nerves, though he did play very cautiously. I'd be quite excited about Owen Dale. He's supremely confident in his skills, two-footed, mainly a wide player so far. Though only small, it really doesn't seem to matter, as he's quite tigerish in the tackle, and reminds me of Nick Powell in the way he attempts to recover possession in the opponent's half.

Saunders? Part of me thinks it'd be best for him to go to the National League, and be a regular first team player somewhere. Another part of me feels - contrary I think to popular opinion - that he's potentially a really good forward for us, but isn't going to get a chance unless Dagnall's injured; they're unlikely to play alongside each other. He runs into scoring positions frequently, in any game, but his injuries have limited his first team chances; I think he's only played one full match - a win against Sheffield United last season, alongside Haber.

Udoh has been on a steep learning curve coming from the level he did. He's contracted for another year. He's a strong lad. He receives and keeps the ball well, and I've seen the under 23s build up off him. He has a powerful shot with either foot. I think, personally, that he's not going to learn much more from under 23 football; sometimes you just have to pitch players into the first team scene, and see what they can do.

....and I forgot Tommy Lowery; another Crewe midget some might say, but from what I've seen of him that's almost an advantage, as he slips in-between the bigger opponents. He's a creative lad, but I wouldn't like to say where he'd fit in the team. Good to see Finney have his debut today; an anchoring midfielder, I'd been thinking recently that he might just miss the cut, but maybe not?

OK, so we've only seen him once but will Finney make it. The previous time I saw him almost every pass, short or long, went astray. Mind you, that was over a season ago.