+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Millers v Leicester 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Didn't go to the replay as couldn't afford away travel in those days. Had we got through we would have played Everton.
    We went down to Filbert Street on a double decker from Yorkshire Traction, can't remember the cost. We arrived after kick off and had to stand outside with a couple of thousand other Millers fans.
    Belated condolences monty on the loss of your dear mum. Hopefully she was well looked after at Clifton. Early April can't have been a good time for you & your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    We went down to Filbert Street on a double decker from Yorkshire Traction, can't remember the cost. We arrived after kick off and had to stand outside with a couple of thousand other Millers fans.
    Belated condolences monty on the loss of your dear mum. Hopefully she was well looked after at Clifton. Early April can't have been a good time for you & your family.
    That's very kind of you to say, Casper. The staff there are top drawer.

The sponge man was Albert 'Sheeny' Wilson. I remember a testimonial match for him about that time. A big rumour was that Gordon Banks would appear for Sheeny's eleven. Sadly, he didn't make it, but I got to see Roy Ironside have a blinder.
    I seem to remember that the said Plymouth match, was the first time we turned out in all red. Both teams were relegated that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Thanks for the link.

I remember this one well and the replay at Filbert Street.
    Didn't get to see the replay till extra time as the match was a sell out with more than 40,000 there. They opened the gates at full time so we did see us lose.
    Thanks Casper, was just going to ask about the replay. I remember my Dad telling me about going to it, I think he was one of those locked out as well.

We did get a reward for our giant-killing. A set of shirts for the Rotherham Boys team. Number 6 in the cup match was Brian Tiler. A great player for us, until the Doc legged it to Villa, and took Brian with him. Sadly Brian died in a car accident at the 1990 wrld cup in Italy.

Wow this makes me feel old. Was only 10 when I went to that game. Great to see the old ground full & future Millers legend Rod Fern in the Leicester team.

My older brother went to the replay and we took them to extra time before bowing out 2-0 in front of 41,856.

As was said earlier we went down with Plymouth that season and it was to be 13 years (ironically with a Rod Fern winner against Plymouth) before we returned to level 2 in style winning the league.

Let's hope it isn't that long before we return.

I went to the replay and I too was one of the thousands locked out. Rotherham wanted the match to be all ticket but Leicester insisted it wouldn't be a sell-out.
    Me and my mate got into the ground when the gates opened at extra time. The gates opened at the home end and a few hundred Millers got in there before they locked up again, Scarves tucked inside coats and try not to look too miserable when they scored.
    Some of my all-time favourite players in that team, but we still got relegated : Alan Hill, Dave Watson and Quinny

Yes, it was a night match. Because it was my first match I remember it well. Stood on about the half way line, which I don't think I did much after that. Internet says there were 16,500 there which seems a bit odd for a bottom of the table mid week game. Is that wrong, or had the cup run sparked a bit of interest?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12