+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Players released.

Letting players go must be the hardest decision of any manager, - and I am glad I'm not in Naysmith's position.

Atkinson, Dowie and Higgins have been great servants, - but for a variety of reasons it is time to sort out our central defence.

Hilson is a busy bee, - but does he make enough honey? and when he's injured he's no use to the rest of the hive.

Young Aiden Smith is a surprise, - I would have kept him on loan at Annan for another season to see his progress, - rather than just let him slip through the net. Why? He's scored five times for Annan in the last 7 games and was scoring for fun in the under 20's latterly. It's almost as if he's suddenly realised that football doesn't owe him a living and that he has to put in a shift. A gifted player, who if he sorts his ****age attitude out will be terror for many future defences. Watch how he performs in the play-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Letting players go must be the hardest decision of any manager, - and I am glad I'm not in Naysmith's position.

Atkinson, Dowie and Higgins have been great servants, - but for a variety of reasons it is time to sort out our central defence.

Hilson is a busy bee, - but does he make enough honey? and when he's injured he's no use to the rest of the hive.

Young Aiden Smith is a surprise, - I would have kept him on loan at Annan for another season to see his progress, - rather than just let him slip through the net. Why? He's scored five times for Annan in the last 7 games and was scoring for fun in the under 20's latterly. It's almost as if he's suddenly realised that football doesn't owe him a living and that he has to put in a shift. A gifted player, who if he sorts his ****age attitude out will be terror for many future defences. Watch how he performs in the play-offs.
    He brought Hilson back too early then decides he doesn't like him.
    Danny pushed back too early doesn't impress and he offers him a deal.
    Releases Atkinson who to me has a lot if potential and would cost double to replace.
    Not sure he has a clue,
    I agree it's not good to chop and change but why should that be a reason to keep someone that's had 6 months in a job, has a 6 month rolling contract I believe. When he shows nothing that inspires.
    Look at sunderland they've had 3 or 4 years where they've escaped relegation the managers have been sacked, they too think it's not right to chop and change then they go down and get stuck with the worst manager
    Without looking at the stats I'm sure Gav had a better win record, especially Consecutive wins.
    He seems to want shot of anyone with any kind of service with the club. JK Atkinson a prime example.
    It's a No from me I'm afraid, time will tell
    Last edited by newby; 08-05-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Queens fans will really need to see who Naysmith signs up for next season before we judge him. I wasnt aware of a 6 month rolling contract, I was thinking he was contracted until the end of next season 2017-18 with an 18 month contract when he signed.

Management statistics

Last updated 6 May 2017

P W D L Win %
    Gavin Skelton 22 Apr 2016 to 5 Nov 22 12 3 7 54.55
    Jim Thomson 12 Nov to 3 Dec 4 1 0 3 25.00
    Gary Naysmith 6 Dec to 6 May 23 6 7 10 26.09
    Last edited by ALBERTZ_11; 08-05-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Skelton's longest winning league run was from 13th August until 17th September with 5 consecutive wins (Ayr 4-1, Falkirk 2-0, Dunfermline 1-0, St Mirren 3-1 and Raith 3-1).

Naysmith longest winning league run was from 4th February until 25th February with 2 consecutive wins (Morton 3-0 and Raith 2-1) that was matched later between 1st and 8th April (Dundee Utd 4-2 and Ayr Utd 2-0).

The stats make interesting reading but Naysmith hasn't been helped with some ridiculous defensive errors . If he doesn't bring in 2/3 decent defenders in the summer then he'll be in bother
    Make no mistake about it , this is a massive summer for him and Queens . He needs to get it right

i agree with naismith ,iv said it for about a season and a half we needed a clearout ,reasons ageing defence getting worse season on season ,average quality in other departments ,naismith has took action and addressed the situation by releasing a number of players ,i expect queens to be challenging at the top end of the table looking for promotion so i hope mr naismith can attract the correct quality of player to the club that can achieve this ,mr naismiths tender as queens manager will hinge on this summer window ,if he brings in the right players i think we will be there abouts at end of the season looking for promotion .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    i agree with naismith ,iv said it for about a season and a half we needed a clearout ,reasons ageing defence getting worse season on season ,average quality in other departments ,naismith has took action and addressed the situation by releasing a number of players ,i expect queens to be challenging at the top end of the table looking for promotion so i hope mr naismith can attract the correct quality of player to the club that can achieve this ,mr naismiths tender as queens manager will hinge on this summer window ,if he brings in the right players i think we will be there abouts at end of the season looking for promotion .
    As I sad it was the same defence that did so well earlier in the season .
    I think maybe he's lost the dressing room as he never seemed to get the best out of anyone.
    Maybe that's the reason he wants to get shot of the long servers and bring in fresh faces.
    Possibly existing squad have no respect for him.
    It's speculation by me but there's something not right.

I still think that whatever happened surrounding Skelton's departure needs to be addressed during the summer, to clear the air, so to speak.

Sad to see both Higgins & Dowie go as I expected one would have been keep and it will be strange not seeing Jim sitting on the bench.

I liked Hilson but if the manager was told to keep only one I would have kept Tapping too as he can be a important player for Queens if he can keep himself from getting injured.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)