shopify analytics
+ Visit Queen of the South FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: Players released.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Deepest Cumbria
    Posts
    361

    Players released.

    Naysmith has not hung around naming the players being released come the end of the season. No surprise that the central defence has taken the brunt of the cull but it is still sad to see stalwarts such as Higgins and Dowie leaving the club after many years of sterling loyal service to Queens heralding a new era for the first team. I wish all of the players dispensed with well.
    One name on the list which I was unhappy to see was Hilson as he was never given a decent run in the team mainly because of injury however when selected never let the side down and certainly showed promise.
    A close season building job is now required from the management so that we are in a good place come the start of the next campaign. Mon the South.

  2. #2
    Good luck to Higgy and Dowser who imo will take really good central defenders to replace them - hopefully Naysmith knows what he is doing the jury is out !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,805
    Disappointed to see Dowie and Higgins depart. Two great servants to the club, especially Higgins as club captain until Rankin was signed. Also, I would rather have retained Hilson rather than Tapping. Also Hamill has been out of the picture for the last quarter of the season, so unsurprised about him going. Atkinson should have left two seasons ago and i wonder if Robinson will remain first choice or will Naysmith be looking for a new goalkeeper? Not surprised with Brotherston, Hooper, Moxon and Smith leaving too. Will be interesting to see who Naysmith has targeted during the close season.
    Last edited by ALBERTZ_11; 07-05-2017 at 05:41 AM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    Disappointed to see Dowie and Higgins depart. Two great servants to the club, especially Higgins as club captain until Rankin was signed. Also, I would rather have retained Hilson rather than Tapping. Also Hamill has been out of the picture for the last quarter of the season, so unsurprised about him going. Atkinson should have left two seasons ago and i wonder if Robinson will remain first choice or will Naysmith be looking for a new goalkeeper? Not surprised with Brotherston, Hooper, Moxon and Smith leaving too. Will be interesting to see who Naysmith has targeted during the close season.
    Put it this way in my opinion from watching almost all the games since Naysmith has come in I don't think he has a clue both tactically and team selection.
    Hes managed to cheese off Hamil, Dowie, hilson and Higgins , brought in 2 lads on loan who in the early days looked a revelation then later looked poor and uninterested.
    Signed Mercer (not good enough) and Rankin as captain (a liability)
    He's also not managed to show any consistency in team selection or in the teams performances.
    He's played Jacob's at full back weakening the midfield, when Hamil was available.
    He took east fife down brought them back up on a big budget then they ended up wallowing in lower end of League one .
    His tactics are negative whether it's a good of bad side home or away .
    Finally he's not improved the performances of the team as a whole nor has he got the best out of any of the players.
    The team he took over were capable of winning games as they proved earlier in the season, all that was needed was to instill confidence fence and he couldnt even manage that
    Get Shot soon as please.

  5. #5
    To some Queens fans actually think it's a good idea to chop and change the manager every 6-12 months when things aren't going their way ...?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,805
    There is no chance that the BOD will get rid of Naysmith unless he starts next season disastrously.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    There is no chance that the BOD will get rid of Naysmith unless he starts next season disastrously.
    Although not a member myself I popped in to the New Bazaar p of the y presentations and was very impressed - the players and management were piped into the pub which was jam - packed. After a welcoming speech the NB chose the Dobmeister as their top man for the season and, as he had won the award twice in the past, he was given one of their unique trophies to keep. This was followed with a sing - song and a superb buffet - all in all an excellent event.

  8. #8
    Sorry to see some of the old boys go, but can understand why, as the defence this year has been a mare. Would have liked to have seen young aiden stay as he had speed and ability, but he was never in GN plans. Good to see dykes still retained (okay still had a full year in contract) but I think his linkup play with Dobbie has improved over the season and fosters well for next. GN has certainly cleared the court however, as all have said previously it will be interesting who he brings in????

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,805
    Nice words from Chris Higgins on his Twitter page.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,805
    Also from Jim Atkinson.

  11. #11
    Letting players go must be the hardest decision of any manager, - and I am glad I'm not in Naysmith's position.

    Atkinson, Dowie and Higgins have been great servants, - but for a variety of reasons it is time to sort out our central defence.

    Hilson is a busy bee, - but does he make enough honey? and when he's injured he's no use to the rest of the hive.

    Young Aiden Smith is a surprise, - I would have kept him on loan at Annan for another season to see his progress, - rather than just let him slip through the net. Why? He's scored five times for Annan in the last 7 games and was scoring for fun in the under 20's latterly. It's almost as if he's suddenly realised that football doesn't owe him a living and that he has to put in a shift. A gifted player, who if he sorts his teenage attitude out will be terror for many future defences. Watch how he performs in the play-offs.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Letting players go must be the hardest decision of any manager, - and I am glad I'm not in Naysmith's position.

    Atkinson, Dowie and Higgins have been great servants, - but for a variety of reasons it is time to sort out our central defence.

    Hilson is a busy bee, - but does he make enough honey? and when he's injured he's no use to the rest of the hive.

    Young Aiden Smith is a surprise, - I would have kept him on loan at Annan for another season to see his progress, - rather than just let him slip through the net. Why? He's scored five times for Annan in the last 7 games and was scoring for fun in the under 20's latterly. It's almost as if he's suddenly realised that football doesn't owe him a living and that he has to put in a shift. A gifted player, who if he sorts his teenage attitude out will be terror for many future defences. Watch how he performs in the play-offs.
    He brought Hilson back too early then decides he doesn't like him.
    Danny pushed back too early doesn't impress and he offers him a deal.
    Releases Atkinson who to me has a lot if potential and would cost double to replace.
    Not sure he has a clue,
    I agree it's not good to chop and change but why should that be a reason to keep someone that's had 6 months in a job, has a 6 month rolling contract I believe. When he shows nothing that inspires.
    Look at sunderland they've had 3 or 4 years where they've escaped relegation the managers have been sacked, they too think it's not right to chop and change then they go down and get stuck with the worst manager
    Without looking at the stats I'm sure Gav had a better win record, especially Consecutive wins.
    He seems to want shot of anyone with any kind of service with the club. JK Atkinson a prime example.
    It's a No from me I'm afraid, time will tell
    Last edited by newby; 08-05-2017 at 10:32 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,805
    Queens fans will really need to see who Naysmith signs up for next season before we judge him. I wasnt aware of a 6 month rolling contract, I was thinking he was contracted until the end of next season 2017-18 with an 18 month contract when he signed.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,805
    Management statistics

    Last updated 6 May 2017

    P W D L Win %
    Gavin Skelton 22 Apr 2016 to 5 Nov 22 12 3 7 54.55
    Jim Thomson 12 Nov to 3 Dec 4 1 0 3 25.00
    Gary Naysmith 6 Dec to 6 May 23 6 7 10 26.09
    Last edited by ALBERTZ_11; 08-05-2017 at 11:02 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,805
    Skelton's longest winning league run was from 13th August until 17th September with 5 consecutive wins (Ayr 4-1, Falkirk 2-0, Dunfermline 1-0, St Mirren 3-1 and Raith 3-1).

    Naysmith longest winning league run was from 4th February until 25th February with 2 consecutive wins (Morton 3-0 and Raith 2-1) that was matched later between 1st and 8th April (Dundee Utd 4-2 and Ayr Utd 2-0).

  16. #16
    The stats make interesting reading but Naysmith hasn't been helped with some ridiculous defensive errors . If he doesn't bring in 2/3 decent defenders in the summer then he'll be in bother
    Make no mistake about it , this is a massive summer for him and Queens . He needs to get it right

  17. #17
    i agree with naismith ,iv said it for about a season and a half we needed a clearout ,reasons ageing defence getting worse season on season ,average quality in other departments ,naismith has took action and addressed the situation by releasing a number of players ,i expect queens to be challenging at the top end of the table looking for promotion so i hope mr naismith can attract the correct quality of player to the club that can achieve this ,mr naismiths tender as queens manager will hinge on this summer window ,if he brings in the right players i think we will be there abouts at end of the season looking for promotion .

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    i agree with naismith ,iv said it for about a season and a half we needed a clearout ,reasons ageing defence getting worse season on season ,average quality in other departments ,naismith has took action and addressed the situation by releasing a number of players ,i expect queens to be challenging at the top end of the table looking for promotion so i hope mr naismith can attract the correct quality of player to the club that can achieve this ,mr naismiths tender as queens manager will hinge on this summer window ,if he brings in the right players i think we will be there abouts at end of the season looking for promotion .
    As I sad it was the same defence that did so well earlier in the season .
    I think maybe he's lost the dressing room as he never seemed to get the best out of anyone.
    Maybe that's the reason he wants to get shot of the long servers and bring in fresh faces.
    Possibly existing squad have no respect for him.
    It's speculation by me but there's something not right.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,805
    I still think that whatever happened surrounding Skelton's departure needs to be addressed during the summer, to clear the air, so to speak.

  20. #20
    Sad to see both Higgins & Dowie go as I expected one would have been keep and it will be strange not seeing Jim sitting on the bench.

    I liked Hilson but if the manager was told to keep only one I would have kept Tapping too as he can be a important player for Queens if he can keep himself from getting injured.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •