+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Your Wolves Offseason Checklist & Final Prediction League Table

Your Wolves Offseason Checklist & Final Prediction League Table

Wolves season has ended and we are onto the long summer months filled with speculation regarding our players and others. Usually this is a time where we get our hopes up after being linked with a player, only to be outbid by another club. And when we see our best players linked to other clubs, and wondering where the money from the sale will go toward. Might be slightly different under Fosun. They spent big last summer, mostly on players that didn't/couldn't contribute. I don't expect us to sign a dozen players again, but I would think Lambert will bring in 3-5 of players he likes this summer, while a couple go out.

I thought I'd start this thread to see what everyone thinks we need and what we'd want over the transfer window. Who would be your ideal starting XI on opening day of next season? Who would you let go? Who would you sign? What youngsters do you want to see in the squad and who do you send out on loan?

I'll start with my opinions:
    Let go/Don't re-sign:
    Saville - never put it together consistently. Solid player in there somewhere, but it might just be in League One.
    Weimann - I expect we will sign him but I don't think he made enough of an impression for me to warrant a contract with us. Plays best centrally, but I don't see how he can do that and fit our other best players into a formation. Solid player, but I think we can do better.
    Stearman - His Wolves days are behind him. Could never fault his effort. But he's not an upgrade on Batth or Hause. Fulham can decide his fate.
    Henry - had an up and down loan spell at Bolton. Not good enough for this level.
    Williamson - I think he's just what we need. An experienced CB that can command the box and the team. But he can't stay healthy. Not worth the money.
    Silvio - Same as Williamson. When he's played, I've been fine with him. But he didn't stay healthy with us and hasn't stayed healthy with other clubs in past years. Money better spent elsewhere.
    Price - He was a good pairing with Kevin McDonald. But we don't have Kevin McDonald. Jackett, Zenga and Lambert never seemed to really rate him at this level. While all those managers have their individual faults, the common denominator was Price.
    CBJ - barely played for us. Easy decision.

Sell/Send back out on Loan:
    Prince - had a solid game or two. Send him away though.
    Ola John - barely played for us. No idea what we have. Was injured for first part of season IIRC
    Gladon - Lambert doesn't seem to like him at all. Can't see a team buying him based on his wages with us, so I expect we'd have to cover a solid portion of his loan wages if he were to go out.
    Wallace - Hasn't been able to play consistently with us. Don't expect him to really. But could be worth keeping and sending out for consistent playing time and see what we've got.
    Flatt - If he were good enough for Wolves, he'd have shown it by now.
    Coady - his best position under Lambert was RB. He's supposed to be a CM. Never was impressed with him here. When we signed, I was excited because he was supposed to be a deep MF destroyer. Didn't work out.

Youngsters to send out on loan:
    Wilson - Think he's done all he can on the reserve level. Let him play against some men.
    Deslendes - Send him out to get some experience.
    Collins - Same as Wilson

Bring in:
    CM - a player that can do what Kevin McDonald did for us in League One and our first season back in the Championship. We currently have no link from the back four to the attack.
    ST - a proven scorer at this level. Dicko, Bod, Mason and Bright work their socks off and no one can fault their effort. But none of them seem to have that finishing touch. This will cost us, but it's worth the money.
    CB - an experienced CB to push Batth and Hause and keep us organized. Again, nobody can fault Batth's effort but he'd look alot better with a veteran next to him IMO. Same with Hause.
    Winger - If Costa is sold as expected, I'd like to bring in a quality winger to replace him. Can't count on Zyro and Graham is coming off an injury so you don't know how he'll hold up over the course of a season.

1) wolves71 - 31.6
    2) theplater - 29.3
    3) TheDing - 27.2
    4) WOODLANDSWOLF - 25.4
    5) Woking88 - 23.4
    6) GrizzledWolf - 22.2
    7) MichiganWolf - 19.5
    8) kensleftfoot - 17
    9) JonDeWolf - 16.4
    10) wolfiebill - 15.3
    11) Newcywolf - 15.2
    12) Makka - 13.1
    13) EveWolf65 - 9.1
    14) Switch_Off_Lights - 6.2
    15) icart - 3
    16) ADP22 - 1

I would agree about Williamson, it's a crying shame he can't keep fit because he is an upgrade on the other lads. Certainly need his type, steady and experienced at the back, but it would be great if we got a similair type for midfield. No need for quick and flashy just an experienced steady ifluence to give things a direction. We can but hope.

Rumors going around that there is tension between Lambert and the front office on transfer policy. Could be just rumors, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're true.

Personally, I don't trust Lambet, Thelwell, Mendes, Shi or anyone with transfers right now.

Lambert deserves the opportunity to show what he can do with his players and not other peoples' left overs. That has to be preferable to bringing in Jose Couceiro who has all the hallmarks of another Walter Zenga. I do not want to see a procession of managers traipsing in and out of the front door at far too regular intervals.

If the owners are not going to let Lambert operate, then why did they bother to recruit him in the first place? Marshall and Weimann were a considerable improvement on what we had. He should be allowed to kick on from there and build his own team.

Lambert knows the Championship. Be careful what you wish for.

Williamson, Henry and Stearman have all been told they are not part of Wolves plans. Still a few more I'd send packing

Price, Saville and unused Duckens Nazon had their one year club options picked up. Still waiting on Silvio. Weimann only stays if Lambert stays

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    Williamson, Henry and Stearman have all been told they are not part of Wolves plans. Still a few more I'd send packing
    Williamson's injury problems haven't helped him. It's a pity really. James Henry couldn't even get much game time at Bolton towards the end of season, so i'm not surprised he's been released.

Well Stearman was only back at Wolves on loan, a gamble really if Wolves signed him. Wolves have to be looking at strengthening at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    Price, Saville and unused Duckens Nazon had their one year club options picked up. Still waiting on Silvio. Weimann only stays if Lambert stays
    I think Price and Saville's option has been taken up so Wolves can receive a transfer fee. I'm hoping neither of them feature too much next season, Wolves have to start looking at a better class of player.

Silvio is an interesting one, he has experience and looked decent when he came back into the side at left back. It's his injury record that's the problem. In my opinion, Weimann should only be signed if he plays up front, out wide he's not so effective.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71 View Post
    I think Price and Saville's option has been taken up so Wolves can receive a transfer fee. I'm hoping neither of them feature too much next season, Wolves have to start looking at a better class of player.

Silvio is an interesting one, he has experience and looked decent when he came back into the side at left back. It's his injury record that's the problem. In my opinion, Weimann should only be signed if he plays up front, out wide he's not so effective.
    Agree with your takes on it. Silvio, like Williamson, is an answer to our question of a veteran presence in the back four but he is just hurt too much and has shown a consistent history of injury troubles. No thanks.

Weimann is just not good enough to warrant time up top for me. It's his best position but we already have enough players that play up top that don't score consistently. I'd rather the couple million spent on his purchase be put toward part of the purchase of an actual striker with a proven record.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)