+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peanuts and red flags!

Quote Originally Posted by kempo View Post
    It's getting worse.

I don't include Brin in this but we have a group on here who simply want to suppress opinion. If it doesn't fit in with their own views.

How on this Earth can anyone be positive about next season?....What evidence do their brains use.

We have our differences but you remain one of the few that at least can put forward intelligent and thought out views that can be backed up by a small fragment of evidence at least.

People seem delighted with what Warney and the club has done so far but when I ask what and state a few negative examples I am vilified and told to clear off...I think I will.
    I watched the Fleetwood v Bradford game in the playoffs. Despite a shocking season, watching that I still think we are better than those 2, and that is playoff level. I have used my brain to watch that game and decide that we are better than those 2 teams at least.

ffs - not a word from me then I'm in that list... I'm going to change my aftershave!

Never got the Poland bitch and Austria is gorgeous.. ever heard of "Altitude Training"....the team will come back with lungs like hot water bottles.....lol

Life's a pitch.....ain't it...lol

I’m not a hard-liner one way or the other but I'm certainly hoping this pre-season is more productive, short and longer term, than the much heralded but disastrous 'tour of Poland' which was akin to a boys weekend in Margate with matches played on a pitch one step up from a pub car park. The fact that 75% of those players failed to make a first team appearance with the majority of recruitment taking place post-Poland blew away the designated intention of team bonding and tactical preparation. Let’s hope this time there aren’t so many non-players in the party which further undermined the credibility and legitimacy of last year’s trip. But a year on, circumstances and personnel have changed dramatically and we’re much further forward in terms of preparation – or so it seems. Certainly Warne & Co should be able to instil a more relevant and better targeted work ethic than the ill-fated leader of the last expedition.

I do feel TS has been disingenuous in a number of statements, the latest being the upgrading of training facilities. Strictly speaking, a portacabin with increased height restrictions could be deemed an upgrade but it’s a far cry from a £2m investment in training facilities on a newly acquired site which was being broadcast not too long ago. This does seem to be the latest in a lengthening list of cost-cutting, or non-implemented, measures, worrying signs especially when set alongside an apparent inability to defend our Championship status, despite the impending multi-million pound loss in income. On the other hand, a timid surrender could simply have been the outward sign of an acceptance that, despite the rhetoric, we can’t compete at the higher level and longer term we’re better returning to and regrouping in League 1 where we should be at least a top half team.

Whether the ‘cheap option’ managerial structure can be successful is open to (a great deal of) speculation. I’ve not been in favour of Warne’s permanent appointment and I don’t favour the ex-players closed shop approach. But, that’s just my opinion. I believe it sends out the wrong signals (but possibly the true ones), stifles new ideas and new thinking and suggests a lack of ambition, a hope for eventual consolidation rather than a determination to right the previous wrongs and return fitter, stronger, wiser. But, if we can ignore the disastrous last six months, it’s early days in the new campaign, though we’ve yet to see the calibre of new recruits. The list of those released was unsurprising and uninspiring, what would be more interesting is the names of contracted players who’ve been told their futures lie elsewhere – but even that wouldn’t tell us whether we were rebuilding or simply cost saving.

So, the roller coaster ride continues – without any perceived incremental improvements. I’m disappointed with many things that have transpired (or not) since Wembley - but I’m not down-hearted. For a few brief moments I had dared to hope we were entering a new era in the history of Rotherham United. But that will have to wait for another day. Oh, well, it’s served me well for nigh on sixty years a few more won’t go amiss.

The advertiser states Warne's best moment was the win over a woeful QPR. The fact that QPR were considerably worse than us ( on the day ) went missing within the propaganda that invaded Warne's tenure.....

The hard facts are - and I was there - I saw first hand - the victories over Wigan - Norwich - QPR and latterly Ipswich - who's travelling fans complaint was watching a kids team played by Ipswich.

These 4 victories were against very wounded teams at the bottom of their forms.....that's a fact of life !

The problem with this "fact" is the state of the points accrued under Warne is devastating.

You can only play who's in front of you on the pitch and the QPR & NORWICH names are big names in football but looking a the cold facts all these matches were pathetic and we happened to score.

I'm comfortable with these remarks as I was at those matches but I'm trying to understand why Warne has been given the controls of a football club when - under his tenure the points gained had been a disgrace even allowing the 12 points thrown into his lap.....but taking these points away....as they were only ours by default.....how the hell can he be our future?

He will not kick off or argue over budgets as "ambitious" managers would - so - during our "rebuilding" in the third tier and paying for the new facilities his management will do.

But as for "ambition" ? Survival !

And that's a good thing considering what the club's been through I suppose.

I find it quite humorous that the manager chooses the venue for pre-season retreats......

By the time we booked ours - this last pre-season in Poland....we were probably lucky to get that....and it looked a lovely set up....

But the budget and availability takes priority over a memo to the chairman stating :

"I fancy the 'La Manga Club' this season Tony....get it arranged old mate"

Just can't see Stubbs or Warnsey doing that......I reckon the chief executive does the donkey work.....Well his secretary does the booking for these jaunts.

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    The advertiser states Warne's best moment was the win over a woeful QPR. The fact that QPR were considerably worse than us ( on the day ) went missing within the propaganda that invaded Warne's tenure.....

The hard facts are - and I was there - I saw first hand - the victories over Wigan - Norwich - QPR and latterly Ipswich - who's travelling fans complaint was watching a kids team played by Ipswich.

These 4 victories were against very wounded teams at the bottom of their forms.....that's a fact of life !

The problem with this "fact" is the state of the points accrued under Warne is devastating.

You can only play who's in front of you on the pitch and the QPR & NORWICH names are big names in football but looking a the cold facts all these matches were pathetic and we happened to score.

I'm comfortable with these remarks as I was at those matches but I'm trying to understand why Warne has been given the controls of a football club when - under his tenure the points gained had been a disgrace even allowing the 12 points thrown into his lap.....but taking these points away....as they were only ours by default.....how the hell can he be our future?

He will not kick off or argue over budgets as "ambitious" managers would - so - during our "rebuilding" in the third tier and paying for the new facilities his management will do.

But as for "ambition" ? Survival !

And that's a good thing considering what the club's been through I suppose.
    So 4 victories were against very wounded teams at the bottom of their forms. Its a good job we were on a reyt run at that time. I went to the 4 matches Stubbs got his 6 points and apart from possibly deserving the point against Wolves we were very lucky to get any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherman View Post
    So 4 victories were against very wounded teams at the bottom of their forms. Its a good job we were on a reyt run at that time. I went to the 4 matches Stubbs got his 6 points and apart from possibly deserving the point against Wolves we were very lucky to get any of the others.
    I also saw those games .I also saw the tanking at Brighton, the woeful performance at Blackburn not to mention the hammering at Barnsley .Did it for me When Stubbs walked straight down the tunnel not acknowledging the Millers faithful at Brighton after 5 hours on a coach getting to the ground at 7.35 .He will always be one of Rotherhams worst managers since my first ever game 35 years ago. Just shows how bad he is still hasn't got another job.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Going abroad on tour just looks like one big jolly boys outing.

In pre season we need to play teams that play in or play like the teams that are in league 1

Plus we need to play a full team from the start of the friendlies not a side peppered with young lads and has been looking for a job.

It's early days but to so far the club continues to "underwhelm" me.
    It's my understanding that part of the thinking behind these pre-season tours is that they should be a jolly boys outing, Jolly. The idea is that you take a group of lads, some of whom won't know or have played with the others, and put them together in a fairly low pressure environment where they are going to stick together and get to know each other.

It didn't have chance to work last year, because we only had half a squad to go to Poland.

Arsenal have done pre-season in Austria and Chelsea did it before the current season.
    Perhaps we all ought to get sensible and whinge on about there being an image of a bus on the players tunnel. It's not really noticeable and we get paid money for it but it's obviously even more of a red flag than us training in Austria (like Chelsea - losers!)

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    ffs - not a word from me then I'm in that list... I'm going to change my aftershave!

Never got the Poland bitch and Austria is gorgeous.. ever heard of "Altitude Training"....the team will come back with lungs like hot water bottles.....lol

Life's a pitch.....ain't it...lol
    It's worse than you think - he has put you in that list because he thinks you are all ONE person.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast