+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's football is a bit crap isn't it?

I wonder if there was a game between one of the above two "crap" teams and CAFC who would win?

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo View Post
    I wonder if there was a game between one of the above two "crap" teams and CAFC who would win?
    Don't be ridiculous.
    If Crewe or any Lge2 side played the very best women's club side (Man City or Arsenal or whoever) by the end of the 90 minutes I'd be amazed if the mens side hadn't found the net atleast 10 times without reply.

THE FA's treatment of women's football over the years has been very poor. TV and other media had given very little coverage despite women's football drawing huge crowds up to the 1960s. Without equivalent exposure and opportunities, it is no surprise that the standard of football remains inferior to the men's game. However, standards are improving and the increasing success of the England ladies team has enhanced coverage.

As I said earlier, without the history of development of the men's game, it's no wonder there is a difference in the spectacle. To consider a parallel think back to the exclusion of English clubs from European competition at a crucial time. Techniques and the science of sport really took off while we were out of Europe and when we returned the gap was enormous.Suddenly the europeans had panache and skill and technique whereas all we had were scrappers waiting for the long ball to come down on the heads of beanpole centre-forwards. It has taken time and a lot of money for English clubs to get anywhere near continental standards (hence why the best we can manage is usually the quarter finals). In other words the men's game went through a period where it didn't expose itself to development and got left behind. So in a similar way the women's game needs time to catch up.
    However, I still like the fact that there are no prima donnas throwing themselves to the ground and rolling over and over in women's football (with the possible exception of the American at Man City).

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    THE FA's treatment of women's football over the years has been very poor. TV and other media had given very little coverage despite women's football drawing huge crowds up to the 1960s. Without equivalent exposure and opportunities, it is no surprise that the standard of football remains inferior to the men's game. However, standards are improving and the increasing success of the England ladies team has enhanced coverage.
    Disagree.
    Apart from a brief 'novelty' period women's football has never drawn huge crowds and the lack of coverage in the past has been appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    As I said earlier, without the history of development of the men's game, it's no wonder there is a difference in the spectacle. To consider a parallel think back to the exclusion of English clubs from European competition at a crucial time. Techniques and the science of sport really took off while we were out of Europe and when we returned the gap was enormous.Suddenly the europeans had panache and skill and technique whereas all we had were scrappers waiting for the long ball to come down on the heads of beanpole centre-forwards. It has taken time and a lot of money for English clubs to get anywhere near continental standards (hence why the best we can manage is usually the quarter finals). In other words the men's game went through a period where it didn't expose itself to development and got left behind. So in a similar way the women's game needs time to catch up.
    However, I still like the fact that there are no prima donnas throwing themselves to the ground and rolling over and over in women's football (with the possible exception of the American at Man City).
    That 'parallel' you suggest is nothing like a parallel though is it? Come on-get real.

It is a parallel- all down to development (and time!)

Its quiet simple for me , I do not like women's football so I choose not to listen to it or watch it no matter much the BBC push it . Its called freedom of choice , Next topic please

And not an excuse to indulge in covert misogyny

EVERYONE is entitled to freedom of choice but just because someone has a 'thing' about women doesn't mean the rest of us cannot discuss the matter!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast