+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed changes to the Play Offs

Proposed changes to the Play Offs

To begin with, I hear Stevie Dutch Mac is co-commentating tonight on the Fowls v Hudds match.

Have you all noticed the proposed FL changes to the end of season play offs, at Non league level ?
    They want to make it 6 teams, and make them 1 off matches to begin with, and give the top two play off teams a 'bye' to the Semi finals. I dont know if this is a good idea, and bear in mind they might want to bring this into all leagues if it looks ok.
    For me the play offs work well as they are, why change them. What do you all reckon ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39951821

If it gives teams the upper hand on getting out of their divisions and makes for a more intriguing competition to watch then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Justice View Post
    If it gives teams the upper hand on getting out of their divisions and makes for a more intriguing competition to watch then so be it.
    Where does it all end though Rams4, I agree that the play offs are one of the best things the FL ever created, but is it 'fair' that a team who finished as low as 7th or 8th can go up ?
    Last edited by Acido; 17-05-2017 at 08:52 PM.

In League 2 there are 7 teams in with a chance to earn a promotion place and have a chance to get out of that division and as for the Vanarama Conference, only 1 team gains automatic promotion which is really tough. More promotion places up for grabs, the more opportunities are given to teams that are less fortunate.

I know the play off places go down to 7th in Lg Two, but what I was trying to say is should the play offs be extended and include 2 more places in any league (thus making it 8th or 9th in Lg Two).
    I do think the Conference should become almost a new 'Lg Three' though and they should add one more automatic promotion place. But this wont please Lg Two teams if it means one more relegation place will it.

They wanted to make a new league consisting of B teams but that idea got quashed as the vote wasn't satisfactory. Like I said Acid "More promotion places up for grabs, the more opportunities are given to teams that are less fortunate".

You should be rewarded more for your seasons Work. 6th should play away to 5th, the winners play away to 4th and the winners of that play the 3rd team at Wembley.

The other advantage of that system would have stopped Huddersfield playing their reserve team against Birmingham, which relegated Blackburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    The other advantage of that system would have stopped Huddersfield playing their reserve team against Birmingham, which relegated Blackburn.
    That disgusted me '59 when Hudds did that, and they showed a total lack of respect to the Champship by playing a less than reserve squad that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    That disgusted me '59 when Hudds did that, and they showed a total lack of respect to the Champship by playing a less than reserve squad that day.
    Yorkshire ********!
    I do agree with you though...hope Reading win...but then I thought Fulham would beat Wednesday in the final so what do I know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)