+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retained List Released

Retained List Released

Going: Lowe, Henley, Akpan, Guthrie, Greer, Brown, Askew & Howarth
    Contracts offered to: Mahoney, Travis, C.Doyle, Grayson, Magloire & Mols

Only supprise for me is Henley. I know he is injury prone & inconsistent but I thought League One would be the perfect chance for him to get his career on track.

No - good decision to release all of them IMHO. Henley performance -wise the worst of the lot - Aucks put it right,as a rabbit in the car headlights - appeared to lose his nerve on the big stage aka football field. The only downside will be losing Mahoney who HAS been offered a new contract of course.

First of all welcome southern rover
    It's a quiet board these days but who we have is a good bunch
    as for the list no surprises at all but we now have to try and keep everybody else if we can
    bar Steele who would not be missed too much.

For me the biggest loss by some distance could well be Lenihan.
    For me he's head and shoulders above Mahoney in promise.
    I see him some short time from now in the Prem. Can't say that at this point I see CM stepping up to that level.
    Only good thing is I think we can get a far more rewarding fee for DL than CM, based upon performance /appearance.

From now on we need to keep the players we have like lenihan
    any players sold/demanding to go needs to be replaced
    not like the current regime of sell and replace with substandard cast offs
    relegation should serve as a lesson to venkys if of course they are willing to see it out at Blackburn of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcrompton1896 View Post
    No - good decision to release all of them IMHO. Henley performance -wise the worst of the lot - Aucks put it right,as a rabbit in the car headlights - appeared to lose his nerve on the big stage aka football field. The only downside will be losing Mahoney who HAS been offered a new contract of course.
    Funnily enough, Bob, I don't think Henley is without talent, BUT...he would probably be better as a right-sided midfielder than in the exposed position of full-back. Secondly, his confidence did seem shot when we last saw him regularly, so a fresh start somewhere else is what he needs. I remember him playing very well against PL teams in his early days, but that level of performance wasn't sustained.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 18-05-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    First of all welcome southern rover
    It's a quiet board these days but who we have is a good bunch
    as for the list no surprises at all but we now have to try and keep everybody else if we can
    bar Steele who would not be missed too much.
    I'm a bit surprised about Guthrie, Robin. I'd have thought a one-year extension would have been sensible. Does this mean there are plans to sign an experienced central midfielder, or are we going to gamble on the youngsters?
    For outsiders, I imagine the surprise will be Jason Lowe, but we do need to make a fresh start with a new captain. In addition, I suspect he would ask for too much, in terms of a new contract. There may even be another club waiting in the wings.

I am a little surprised on Guthrie
    this highlights the importance of keeping mulgrew and Evans as I can see these 2 as our central midfield
    Tomlinson and hardcastle have potential however they should be bled in slowly not chucked in at the deep end.

Tbh can we afford another injury-prone oldster in midfield on a hefty wad,such as Guthrie? I dont think so even if he has a tiny bit of passing quality,having him AND Evans out injured is far too expensive. Better to concentrate the tiny budget on securing Lenihan(if possible) AND promote the youngsters,last year we had apparently the 9th highest wage bill so fewer signings of old stalwarts on bumper pay packets gives a bit of budgetary control. Its not as though we seem capable of buying to sell on ,since GBs departure!

Totally re: steele. I believe a whole season starting in League One will do Raya wonders. Would be happy with Williams and Nyambe at LB & RB and looking forward to seeing more from Warton at CB. Totally agree that holding on to Lenihan & Mahoney woull be massive for us.
    Looking forward though is it too soon for players like Hardcastle, Mansell & Tomlinson? It would be brilliant if they stepped up, but as we know when there are good reviews at development level, it doesn't always go that way in reality. Remaining optimistic though

The 3 youngsters you have mentioned and also Rankin Costello are more suited to a blending in slowly role
    if we can hold on to the more experienced members left we can afford to use these players off of the bench and the odd starting place
    ultimately giving much needed first team experience.

Excellent interview with Adam Henley on the BRFC site. A touch of class, that lad. I hope things take a turn for the better as far as he is concerned.
    Looking forward, the odd thing is, it's at full-back we have the least cover. If we lose and gain no-one else, the team situation would look something like this:
    GK: Steele, Raya, Fisher
    RB: Nyambe, Travis
    LB: Williams, Doyle
    CB: Lenihan, Ward, Wharton, Magloire, Platt, (Mulgrew)
    CM(D): Mulgrew, Evans, Thomson, (Lenihan)
    CM(A/C) Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Grayson, Rankin-Costello
    Wide Right: Feeney, Bennett
    Wide Left: Conway, Mahoney
    Strikers: Graham, Stokes, Mansell

I've only considered the First Team Squad here. There are several promising youngsters below this, of course. In addition, some of the positions are "iffy". For example, I don't think any of the Defensive Midfielders I've mentioned quite fit the traditional mould. Might we see Lenihan used in that spot if one of the young centre-backs proves to be up to the mark?

To be honest, it doesn't look too bad for Division One, but we are thin on experienced cover.

Yes aucks it was a nice parting statement from Henley
    He needs this move away to resurrect his career and for us it reduces the wage bill which was a necessary evil
    anyhow looking over the squad I would say that would be just about right for a good season in league one
    if and its a big IF we keep the players we have left and we don't end up administration
    GK Raya
    Lb Williams
    Cb Ward
    Cb Wharton
    Rb Nyambe
    Lm Conway
    Cm Mulgrew/Evans
    Cm Lenihan
    Rm Mahoney/Bennett
    Am Costello/Tomlinson
    Fw Graham

The youth will make up the reserves but with using them over time it will be a great benefit long term.

Robin - if TM is still in charge and we have retained everyone, I think he would regard his best (or safest?) team at the start of the season as this one:

Raya
    Nyambe Lenihan Ward Williams
    Bennett Mulgrew Evans Mahoney
    Graham Stokes.

That's if he goes for 4-4-2, of course, rather than wing-backs and three central defenders.

Yes I would go along with that
    let's be honest I can see most of that team gone however if we were to have that team come kick off in August that will be a strong team at this level.
    Last edited by robinrover; 20-05-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Well, seeing as TM is off to Pune tomorrow in order to discuss the future with Venkys, we should fairly soon know if all of the above guesstimating has any worth.

I'm going to stick with my 50/50 thoughts, ie it could go either way with no indications of any probability.
    My thoughts are: TM will not be 'promised' (in the definitive sense) all that he requests, so then that means it would be down to what he feels is the absolute minimum that he would take on.
    All their history would warn that a smile and a gratuitous handshake on 'promises' should be met with some amount of caution.

Roll on the next 72 hrs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Yes I would go along with that
    let's be honest I can see most of that team gone however if we were to have that team come kick off in August that will be a strong team at this level.
    Yes, that's the key, Robin - keeping them! As Despair says, we might know a bit more after TM's visit to Pune. I suspect Lenihan and Mahoney, in particular, are going to be prime targets for Championship teams. If they do go, I hope it's sooner, rather than later. I hate it when your best players disappear on "deadline day"!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 20-05-2017 at 10:31 PM.

This is what I'm getting at.
    Not just DL and CM, although they are stand outs.
    CM could be snatched for a steal, DL would command a more attractive fee.
    However, as we've seen before , and what you allude to! Venkys have proven that they're very stubborn when it comes to player sales and do gamble time wise on their final release. Yes they may acquire a larger return . But, as proven time after time virtually none of it returns to the manager to replace , even if there was time! Of which more often than not has been the case.
    So we need to ask (or TM does) is anything going to change???
    The fact he's been invited over tells me they're staying on ie no sale is forthcoming. Q is : is TM?
    Last edited by Despair; 21-05-2017 at 08:23 AM.

This is where I would imagine Tony Mowbray will be asking for funding on the players he has left rather than bringing in any new ones
    the likes of mulgrew and Evans will be on a decent wage
    so will need to be included on any additional funding
    if any players left go to pastures New then what we receive transfer wise needs to be put into the playing squad not venkys pockets
    long and short of it I would imagine that's how tonys speech will go but will he get the answers he requires?

TM also needs to be able to make a public statement about the owners' comments, this time around, and their intentions.
    Surely even they must realise by now that putting their fingers in their ears and shouting,"La, la, la" very loudly isn't making the problems go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast