+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retained List Released

The 3 youngsters you have mentioned and also Rankin Costello are more suited to a blending in slowly role
    if we can hold on to the more experienced members left we can afford to use these players off of the bench and the odd starting place
    ultimately giving much needed first team experience.

Excellent interview with Adam Henley on the BRFC site. A touch of class, that lad. I hope things take a turn for the better as far as he is concerned.
    Looking forward, the odd thing is, it's at full-back we have the least cover. If we lose and gain no-one else, the team situation would look something like this:
    GK: Steele, Raya, Fisher
    RB: Nyambe, Travis
    LB: Williams, Doyle
    CB: Lenihan, Ward, Wharton, Magloire, Platt, (Mulgrew)
    CM(D): Mulgrew, Evans, Thomson, (Lenihan)
    CM(A/C) Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Grayson, Rankin-Costello
    Wide Right: Feeney, Bennett
    Wide Left: Conway, Mahoney
    Strikers: Graham, Stokes, Mansell

I've only considered the First Team Squad here. There are several promising youngsters below this, of course. In addition, some of the positions are "iffy". For example, I don't think any of the Defensive Midfielders I've mentioned quite fit the traditional mould. Might we see Lenihan used in that spot if one of the young centre-backs proves to be up to the mark?

To be honest, it doesn't look too bad for Division One, but we are thin on experienced cover.

Yes aucks it was a nice parting statement from Henley
    He needs this move away to resurrect his career and for us it reduces the wage bill which was a necessary evil
    anyhow looking over the squad I would say that would be just about right for a good season in league one
    if and its a big IF we keep the players we have left and we don't end up administration
    GK Raya
    Lb Williams
    Cb Ward
    Cb Wharton
    Rb Nyambe
    Lm Conway
    Cm Mulgrew/Evans
    Cm Lenihan
    Rm Mahoney/Bennett
    Am Costello/Tomlinson
    Fw Graham

The youth will make up the reserves but with using them over time it will be a great benefit long term.

Robin - if TM is still in charge and we have retained everyone, I think he would regard his best (or safest?) team at the start of the season as this one:

Raya
    Nyambe Lenihan Ward Williams
    Bennett Mulgrew Evans Mahoney
    Graham Stokes.

That's if he goes for 4-4-2, of course, rather than wing-backs and three central defenders.

Yes I would go along with that
    let's be honest I can see most of that team gone however if we were to have that team come kick off in August that will be a strong team at this level.
    Last edited by robinrover; 20-05-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Well, seeing as TM is off to Pune tomorrow in order to discuss the future with Venkys, we should fairly soon know if all of the above guesstimating has any worth.

I'm going to stick with my 50/50 thoughts, ie it could go either way with no indications of any probability.
    My thoughts are: TM will not be 'promised' (in the definitive sense) all that he requests, so then that means it would be down to what he feels is the absolute minimum that he would take on.
    All their history would warn that a smile and a gratuitous handshake on 'promises' should be met with some amount of caution.

Roll on the next 72 hrs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Yes I would go along with that
    let's be honest I can see most of that team gone however if we were to have that team come kick off in August that will be a strong team at this level.
    Yes, that's the key, Robin - keeping them! As Despair says, we might know a bit more after TM's visit to Pune. I suspect Lenihan and Mahoney, in particular, are going to be prime targets for Championship teams. If they do go, I hope it's sooner, rather than later. I hate it when your best players disappear on "deadline day"!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 20-05-2017 at 09:31 PM.

This is what I'm getting at.
    Not just DL and CM, although they are stand outs.
    CM could be snatched for a steal, DL would command a more attractive fee.
    However, as we've seen before , and what you allude to! Venkys have proven that they're very stubborn when it comes to player sales and do gamble time wise on their final release. Yes they may acquire a larger return . But, as proven time after time virtually none of it returns to the manager to replace , even if there was time! Of which more often than not has been the case.
    So we need to ask (or TM does) is anything going to change???
    The fact he's been invited over tells me they're staying on ie no sale is forthcoming. Q is : is TM?
    Last edited by Despair; 21-05-2017 at 07:23 AM.

This is where I would imagine Tony Mowbray will be asking for funding on the players he has left rather than bringing in any new ones
    the likes of mulgrew and Evans will be on a decent wage
    so will need to be included on any additional funding
    if any players left go to pastures New then what we receive transfer wise needs to be put into the playing squad not venkys pockets
    long and short of it I would imagine that's how tonys speech will go but will he get the answers he requires?

TM also needs to be able to make a public statement about the owners' comments, this time around, and their intentions.
    Surely even they must realise by now that putting their fingers in their ears and shouting,"La, la, la" very loudly isn't making the problems go away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)