+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retained List Released

Retained List Released

Going: Lowe, Henley, Akpan, Guthrie, Greer, Brown, Askew & Howarth
    Contracts offered to: Mahoney, Travis, C.Doyle, Grayson, Magloire & Mols

Only supprise for me is Henley. I know he is injury prone & inconsistent but I thought League One would be the perfect chance for him to get his career on track.

No - good decision to release all of them IMHO. Henley performance -wise the worst of the lot - Aucks put it right,as a rabbit in the car headlights - appeared to lose his nerve on the big stage aka football field. The only downside will be losing Mahoney who HAS been offered a new contract of course.

First of all welcome southern rover
    It's a quiet board these days but who we have is a good bunch
    as for the list no surprises at all but we now have to try and keep everybody else if we can
    bar Steele who would not be missed too much.

For me the biggest loss by some distance could well be Lenihan.
    For me he's head and shoulders above Mahoney in promise.
    I see him some short time from now in the Prem. Can't say that at this point I see CM stepping up to that level.
    Only good thing is I think we can get a far more rewarding fee for DL than CM, based upon performance /appearance.

From now on we need to keep the players we have like lenihan
    any players sold/demanding to go needs to be replaced
    not like the current regime of sell and replace with substandard cast offs
    relegation should serve as a lesson to venkys if of course they are willing to see it out at Blackburn of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcrompton1896 View Post
    No - good decision to release all of them IMHO. Henley performance -wise the worst of the lot - Aucks put it right,as a rabbit in the car headlights - appeared to lose his nerve on the big stage aka football field. The only downside will be losing Mahoney who HAS been offered a new contract of course.
    Funnily enough, Bob, I don't think Henley is without talent, BUT...he would probably be better as a right-sided midfielder than in the exposed position of full-back. Secondly, his confidence did seem shot when we last saw him regularly, so a fresh start somewhere else is what he needs. I remember him playing very well against PL teams in his early days, but that level of performance wasn't sustained.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 18-05-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    First of all welcome southern rover
    It's a quiet board these days but who we have is a good bunch
    as for the list no surprises at all but we now have to try and keep everybody else if we can
    bar Steele who would not be missed too much.
    I'm a bit surprised about Guthrie, Robin. I'd have thought a one-year extension would have been sensible. Does this mean there are plans to sign an experienced central midfielder, or are we going to gamble on the youngsters?
    For outsiders, I imagine the surprise will be Jason Lowe, but we do need to make a fresh start with a new captain. In addition, I suspect he would ask for too much, in terms of a new contract. There may even be another club waiting in the wings.

I am a little surprised on Guthrie
    this highlights the importance of keeping mulgrew and Evans as I can see these 2 as our central midfield
    Tomlinson and hardcastle have potential however they should be bled in slowly not chucked in at the deep end.

Tbh can we afford another injury-prone oldster in midfield on a hefty wad,such as Guthrie? I dont think so even if he has a tiny bit of passing quality,having him AND Evans out injured is far too expensive. Better to concentrate the tiny budget on securing Lenihan(if possible) AND promote the youngsters,last year we had apparently the 9th highest wage bill so fewer signings of old stalwarts on bumper pay packets gives a bit of budgetary control. Its not as though we seem capable of buying to sell on ,since GBs departure!

Totally re: steele. I believe a whole season starting in League One will do Raya wonders. Would be happy with Williams and Nyambe at LB & RB and looking forward to seeing more from Warton at CB. Totally agree that holding on to Lenihan & Mahoney woull be massive for us.
    Looking forward though is it too soon for players like Hardcastle, Mansell & Tomlinson? It would be brilliant if they stepped up, but as we know when there are good reviews at development level, it doesn't always go that way in reality. Remaining optimistic though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)