+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FATBOY Evans makes signing No.7.

Agreed a123.
    I happen to feel that the analyses on this thread by Ellis and Rileyev are perfectly reasonable.
    However, the diehards are inconsistent in this regard and also have short memories. Why? Two seasons ago I posted that TS was a fantasist. I pointed out (and backed it up with analysis from other seasons) that over time income and attendance determined success in the Championship and that given RUFC's relatively small fan base without regular substantial investment from a generous owner we could not survive in the division :"We may survive this season, even next but at some point in the next 2-3 seasons we'll be relegated. Absolute certainty."
    Some of the very posters who have now adopted my view of RUFC reality at the time went ballistic accusing me of negativity and disloyalty and that TS "an astute businessman" would undoubtedly establish us in the Championship and we could even challenge for the play-offs within a season or two. As I say, inconsistent and short memories.

Quote Originally Posted by kempo View Post
    With respect brin..

Why would Zilzal reply to this when you have been so disrespectful by suggesting that he uses several pseudonyms.

I am certain that he gets absolutely fed up of these unfounded comments.

Zilzal posts as Zilzal and nobody else.

I am 100 per cent certain of that.
    You simply CANNOT be 100% certain of any such thing, K. You have repeatedly stated you don't know Zilzal personally so how could you know whether or not he's a multi. As for being disrespectful, Zil can hardly complain when he has several times told other poster to "f*** off".

With respect brin..

Why would Zilzal reply to this when you have been so disrespectful by suggesting that he uses several pseudonyms.

I am certain that he gets absolutely fed up of these unfounded comments.

Zilzal posts as Zilzal and nobody else.

I am 100 per cent certain of that.
    Well of course youll be 100% certain of that mr k...you know him better than anyone else does...

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    It puzzles me the stick Steve Evans gets/got on this board. I'm not sure if its more about people having agendas on here as opposed to true feelings. Hardly anyone I know has too many bad words to say about him.

Its the same with Tony Stewart and the stick he gets. Anyone would think that we had dropped alarmingly from dizzy heights or something following him buying the club.

The fact is if we go back forty years to 1977. We have spent a total of 9 or 10 seasons at championship level, apart from 2 out of those 10 we have struggled and pretty much only been able to compete with 4 or 5 clubs. A desire to win, never say die attitude and teams well organized by Ronnie Moore and Steve Evans helped us to finish above 4 or 5 of those teams for the majority of the seasons spent there but we always get found out at the end.

The only time we have really shone at that level was the 81/82'season. That was an amazing team, the best by a country mile we've had in that time period and arguably the best of the last 50 years. Its interesting that putting that team together very nearly bankrupted the club.

Again most of the fans I know and speak to understand this is who wr are and can live with this. Yes we'd love an investor to come along and plough billions in but lets face it, that ain't gonna happen.

Burton Albion are now doing what we have done so well the majority of time we've been at this level, but everyone being honest, they'll be most peoples pick to be relegated next season and what's more, they probably will be.

So all in all, the Zils of this world and some others who have been on TS back a lot of the season on here are not actually a true reflection of the average Miller. They get heard now because of modern technology allowing for message boards like this.

Back in the day it will have been a letter to the"Green Un" that most Millers would have read in the pub or on the bog at home thinking "what the f@ck has he been on"
    That's a great post. Well said Riley.

I have no problem accepting the size of our club will limit the success we have. I struggled and still do with the BS that TS gave out. He shouldn't have done it and there was no need for it. Rotherham fans know their lot and to raise hopes (at least mine) was wrong. He however, spends his dosh on this hobby/investment/ego trip and there is no argument with him continuing to do so. If I had £2.7 million to sponsor something, I doubt it would be RUFC so fair dos to the man - just cut the BS form this point on Tony and ask Warney to do the same. Let's be a club that simply states things as they are.

Good luck to Evans as well. Whatever your thoughts are on the man, he orchestrated a few fantastic years for us all. It is doubtful he could have kept us up, especially with the change to the loan system and he did struggle in his last season.

Between them riley and Pete sum up our situation perfectly. I don't think anybody has any issues with our limitations, if we did we wouldn't still be here after years and decades of irrational devotion. Moore and Evans proved that deficiencies can be compensated for, by hard-work, organisation, commitment... and by the character, drive and determination of the manager. But the stars can only be aligned for a limited period, eventually we're overwhelmed by the quality and finances of more prosperous, better supported rivals. Eventually, we sink to our natural level.

The problem last season, for many of us, was that we wanted to believe the rhetoric, wanted believe there was an alternative, that being little 'ol Rotherham wasn't inevitable, wasn't a permanent state of existence. Deep down, if truth be told, we probably knew differently, but we trusted what was being said. The subsequent fall was greater, mentally, because of raised expectations. Which is probably why we riled (no pun intended) against those who'd misled us.

Well, we're back down. Last year was a disaster. The majority of decisions were at best incomprehensible at worst suicidal. We were incompetent, unprofessional, devoid of ideas and strategies and we lacked expertise in every department. There were no signs of hard-work, organisation, commitment, no character, drive and determination. We were poorly led, on and off the field, and eventually devoid of all credibility.

So, we start again. But this time I for one, will be ignoring every statement and every promise and will only believe when it's actually happened or been delivered. And even then I'll be seeking a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    You simply CANNOT be 100% certain of any such thing, K. You have repeatedly stated you don't know Zilzal personally so how could you know whether or not he's a multi. As for being disrespectful, Zil can hardly complain when he has several times told other poster to "f*** off".
    OK.....I am as certain as one can be

I certain know that he is not me and that one is 100%

OK.....I am as certain as one can be

I certain know that he is not me and that one is 100%
    Kempo I mean what I say yr a genius. Bringing yr Zil & Monty Rhodes on it's keeps us entertained.

This Evans worshipping, don't get it. Tony Stewart I trust, Evans, Warnock speak with forth tongue. Wouldn't trust them with our cat & I haven't got one. Evans go back to start of 2 seasons ago, one of the worst keepers we've ever had Roos. Sure we had Halford, Collins & Thorpe in defence opening game. How bad was that.

Quote Originally Posted by leedsmiller View Post
    Between them riley and Pete sum up our situation perfectly. I don't think anybody has any issues with our limitations, if we did we wouldn't still be here after years and decades of irrational devotion. Moore and Evans proved that deficiencies can be compensated for, by hard-work, organisation, commitment... and by the character, drive and determination of the manager. But the stars can only be aligned for a limited period, eventually we're overwhelmed by the quality and finances of more prosperous, better supported rivals. Eventually, we sink to our natural level.

The problem last season, for many of us, was that we wanted to believe the rhetoric, wanted believe there was an alternative, that being little 'ol Rotherham wasn't inevitable, wasn't a permanent state of existence. Deep down, if truth be told, we probably knew differently, but we trusted what was being said. The subsequent fall was greater, mentally, because of raised expectations. Which is probably why we riled (no pun intended) against those who'd misled us.

Well, we're back down. Last year was a disaster. The majority of decisions were at best incomprehensible at worst suicidal. We were incompetent, unprofessional, devoid of ideas and strategies and we lacked expertise in every department. There were no signs of hard-work, organisation, commitment, no character, drive and determination. We were poorly led, on and off the field, and eventually devoid of all credibility.

So, we start again. But this time I for one, will be ignoring every statement and every promise and will only believe when it's actually happened or been delivered. And even then I'll be seeking a second opinion.
    Good points, leedsmiller. I cannot understand the adulation of TS. He made an appalling pig's ear of last season and his approach was penny-pinchingly ridiculous. Listening to the Millwall chief executive today was informative. Smaller clubs can compete in the Championship through sensible recruitment and developing their own talent. BUT, "You also have to spend. The direct income difference between the Championship and L1 is £6.8m per season. Add to that increased gate money, sponsorship and other income streams and you are looking at a difference of around £10m. Obviously (but not obvious to Tony Stewart) it makes financial sense to spend a large percentage of that figure each year in transfers and wages above our L1 expenditure to maintain the extra income."

That, to me, was the great unfathomable, monty. Why refuse to protect, or even attempt to protect, our very sizeable (especially relatively) income streams. Surely, any sensible businessman would see the unquestionable logic in spending, say, £5m to secure £10m. Having got this far to just throw it all away, to give up without a fight - after calling himself a fighter - is incredulous. To say there is no point in having ambition without investment and then to invest precious little begs the question where's the ambition.

Tony Stewart gave virtually the seasons budget to Stubbs who didn't have the managerial ability to use it to it's best advantage.

So what do you do then? throw money at it which would be over & above what the chairman has already put in. He's not got endless pockets. People on here are ok at spending someone else's money.

How we stopped up the two previous seasons was questionable. Under Evans loans kept us up which aren't there now ie the loan window has gone. Warnock the following season had all the luck rolled into one that would take years to accumulate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast