+ Visit Newcastle United FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So to all of those critics, where did we buy the Championship.

So to all of those critics, where did we buy the Championship.

In 10 bought, one free and one on loan SPEND Ģmillion 54.76

Out 6 sold and three frees SALES Ģmillion 85.73.

We could have given Sulker Sissoko away for free and still made a profit.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newc...ers/verein/762

We certainly didn't buy the championship. We had a manager that mixed and matched what he believed could do a job.

It all goes to show that clubs should spend on their manager as well as the players. How much money has Rafa made for the club since arriving?

- Without him (or a manger of his reputation) I donīt think we wouldīve been promoted.
    - I donīt think we wouldīve got as much for Sissulko, Janmat etc without him (it was believable that these players could stay to work under Rafa in the Chimpo and so we were able to hold out for higher prices)
    - I donīt think we couldīve signed Gayle, Ritchie nor Hayden with a lesser manager
    - I donīt think we wouldīve had such big gates this season without him

All just opinion on my part but if you add that little lot up, heīs the cheapest manager weīve ever had at the club (in cost/benefit terms).

we bought a couple of proven championship players (Hanley, Murphy) added them to our mostly young squad.
    we also bought a few premier league players (Ritchie, Gayle and clark) who we knew were good at this level and comfortably good enough to go up with us.

we had to buy as we were shedding lots of players.

sissoko, wijnaldum, Janmaat, Townsend, Dr Jong, Krul, Armstrong etc.

we bought enough players to get us through a long hard unpredictable season. so I guess, by reinvesting (some of) our incoming monies, we did buy the league. that is how the transfer system works. everybody gets a chance to buy and sell, we executed better than anybody else, by winning the league and making a profit at the same time.

Jobs a good'un!

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    It all goes to show that clubs should spend on their manager as well as the players. How much money has Rafa made for the club since arriving?

- Without him (or a manger of his reputation) I donīt think we wouldīve been promoted.
    - I donīt think we wouldīve got as much for Sissulko, Janmat etc without him (it was believable that these players could stay to work under Rafa in the Chimpo and so we were able to hold out for higher prices)
    - I donīt think we couldīve signed Gayle, Ritchie nor Hayden with a lesser manager

All just opinion on my part but if you add that little lot up, heīs the cheapest manager weīve ever had at the club (in cost/benefit terms).
    I agree with all you say there TopToon. Rafa has more than paid his way. Without him we would have dithered about mid table and been stuck there in the Chimpo for more seasons than you could stand watching.

You will see what that is like with Blunderland next season. And for many after that.

I can even see R.T.G. going down like a rudderless sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post

Well said toptoon.