+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fao GAZ

Fao GAZ

Why do you support Swindon?

Goodness gracious me Dave lol

I see where you're going haha (I have been out by the way and just got in haha)

Reason I support em is because I was born here and happened along to a game v Cardiff in C1973. My older brother and his mates took and never looked back but we weren't as SH!T back then.

I stand in roughly the same spot with roughly the same people. I go with several brothers who went to school with my brothers all in different years tho.

Historically tho it could have been a lot different as my relations on my mothers side are in the Millwall catchment area and my Uncle (ex Old was Millwall. When I hear the Let em come song it brings back happy memories for me when we had the anual get together at xmas.

On the other hand my parents were married at West Ham Registry office so it could of gone either way I guess.

My father lived near Highbury and watched the gooners but was more of a rugby fan. He did take us to see Chelsea when I was a dot of a lad as one of my brothers supported Chelsea. Chels lost to L'poo 1-2.

Funny ol game tho innit

Bet you wished you never asked now

I did wonder if you actually came from there, as if anyone from elsewhere would follow them!! I lived in Gloucester in the early seventies and a chelsea mate and I would go to West Brom or Swindon if they were playing London Teams. I remember Swindon v Millwall in 1973 it was goalless but we were stood with the Millwall fans when they decided to charge the home fans, in those days you could go round the whole ground, and we ended up at the front but fortunately the Swindon ran away.

lol i remember that too. Millwall were nuts that day. I am led to believe from a group on ***** Millwall that this was the day they first used surgical masks as the nicked them off the goods wagon on the train coming down.
    I remember Millwall had loads playing footie outside the ground on the green next to the south stand.
    Millwall fans that were there from ***** said they remember our so called leader Bert C****** charging into them and getting carried out on a stretcher. They said they had respect for him and would buy him a pint now if they saw him. They knew his name too which baffled me.

In those days a lot of Swindon used to follow Chelsea, as did Bert so quite often they would travel on mass to watch them.

I remember when we got stuffed by Villa, 0-4 I think. Before KO I was stood waiting for my other school mates to arrive and got surrounded by Holt End Boys. I was asked where all the Swindon lot were. I asked them for an English version of their question before answering erm . . . they're all off watching Chelsea lol

I guess that like me you were born in 1959, I am 7th October, same day as Simon Cowell, when is your birthday?

My father was a Gloucester rugby fan and took me to a few games.

We have Swindon fans in Gloucester; Stroud; Cirencester; Andover; Witney; Banbury; Weymouth; Aylesbury; Wantage; Faringdon; Melksham; Chippenham; Newbury etc etc etc lol You can be mad enough to support us even if you weren't born here or live here lol

My experience has shown that these that chose to support us have a lot of passion for the club and are the ones more loyal today when we're struggling than those indigenous feks that do nothing but moan

I'm not sure if it was the same season or the season after when we played Spurs in the Cup. Spurs were desperate for a ruck but were contained on the south side. Not being able to kick our heads in they decided to set fire to the stand
    Last edited by gaz1959; 20-05-2017 at 12:58 PM.

I think the Cup games were in 1980. I was at the replay at the Lane and we looked like we were going out but two late Gerry Armstrong goals put us through. I met Gerry some years later and he remembered those goals in great detail.

My mate Steve Baker played scrum half for Gloucester some time late seventies early eighties.

Evening Dave &Gaz..I think it's a good thread asking why we support a particular club.
    It was my next door neighbour's son in the 1957/8 season who asked my parents if he could take me to Millwall. He was 12 years old and me 7. They said OK.......Different eras different preoccupations. Can you imagine today letting your 7 year old son go to a football match with only a 12 year old looking after him? We played Plymouth and got stuffed 1/0 but I was hooked
    Sometime later I asked my mate's dad if he was going to come with us to the Den, he said categorically no " I support the Arsenal "
    Given that the sons normally support the same club as their fathers..my mate, logically,should have been a gunner...but no, he chose the 'Wall....If not he would have probably taken to Highbury and today I could have been a gunner instead of supporting the best club in the world!!

Interesting FL good to be a cat

FAO Dave
    Why Spurs? Obviously your not a glory hunter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast