+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fao GAZ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Evening Dave &Gaz..I think it's a good thread asking why we support a particular club.
    It was my next door neighbour's son in the 1957/8 season who asked my parents if he could take me to Millwall. He was 12 years old and me 7. They said OK.......Different eras different preoccupations. Can you imagine today letting your 7 year old son go to a football match with only a 12 year old looking after him? We played Plymouth and got stuffed 1/0 but I was hooked
    Sometime later I asked my mate's dad if he was going to come with us to the Den, he said categorically no " I support the Arsenal "
    Given that the sons normally support the same club as their fathers..my mate, logically,should have been a gunner...but no, he chose the 'Wall....If not he would have probably taken to Highbury and today I could have been a gunner instead of supporting the best club in the world!!

Interesting FL good to be a cat

FAO Dave
    Why Spurs? Obviously your not a glory hunter

Coming from West Yorkshire as I do, it would have been easy for me to support Leeds as a kid in the late 70s. My elder brothers did and they wanted me to as well, but it was some other members of my family that got me into Barnsley in 1980-81, and it helped that that was a promotion winning season!

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1959 View Post
    Interesting FL good to be a cat

FAO Dave
    Why Spurs? Obviously your not a glory hunter
    Dad was Palace and took me regularly for the 1969 season, Palace's first ever in the top division of English football. One of the first games was against Spurs and I was fascinated by Jimmy Greaves and started supporting Spurs, although I have always had Palace as my second team. I remember the next season Palace knocked Spurs out of the F A Cup in a reply at Selhurst. Dad refused to take me and did I get some stick when he got home.

Nice one Acido as it would have been all to easy to support high flying Leeds back then.

Hard choice for you too Dave - respect to you for that too.

I don't mind Spurs or any London club really