+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tough talking, Robbo

I agree with Jwok and Handsome Devil on this one. The whole team came as far as the penalty spot and applauded the fans behind the goal .... AS THEY ALWAYS DO AFTER AN AWAY GAME, WIN OR LOSE. Then Faddy, Keith, Lionel , and Griffiths (a 'keeper' in more ways than one) came round behind the goal line and either talked with or gave kit to individual fans, again as is common practice (particularly if some of them may not be playing for the Well next season) and I thought they all behaved very appropriately. None of it was over the top, none of it was "embarrassing". It's what football players do!!

Frankly, I think Robinson's comments as quoted were ..... unnecessary, and I am beginning to have some reservations about what little I can make out of his 100mph interviews already.
    Last edited by brain; 20-05-2017 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

I wasn't at the game today so can't comment on the players "celebrating" at the end of the game. Concerning Robinson's interview, I like his style, i don't know if that will make him a good manager or not, but it could make a few enemies in the dressing room i would think. Obviously the guy doesn't take any s***. Could be some interesting times ahead in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    I wasn't at the game today so can't comment on the players "celebrating" at the end of the game. Concerning Robinson's interview, I like his style, i don't know if that will make him a good manager or not, but it could make a few enemies in the dressing room i would think. Obviously the guy doesn't take any s***. Could be some interesting times ahead in the next few weeks.
    As with everything in football, it comes down to 'does it work'...when Butcher got Hibs relegated, no one disagreed they had a team of chancers who needed punting in summer but his saying exactly that - in winter - was disastrous.

From the account above of what happened, either Robinson has been annoyed for a while and this was the final straw/he was looking for any excuse to start an argument or he's misjudged it.

If it's the latter it's an error but hardly irredeemable. If it's the former, it's a bold move and we'll see how it turns out in a few months.

It might have been that Robinson was irritated at Bowman's reaction after he scored the penalty. He stood at the bye line and raised his arms in triumph. It seemed to me an acknowledgement that the game was over as no time remained. Maybe the manager would have been happier had he retrieved the ball and rushed back to the centre spot in hopes of an equaliser.

Going by the highlights, I'd say the senior player in question was Faddy. He certainly celebrated more than Bowman and is considerably older. Interesting times lie ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    It might have been that Robinson was irritated at Bowman's reaction after he scored the penalty. He stood at the bye line and raised his arms in triumph. It seemed to me an acknowledgement that the game was over as no time remained. Maybe the manager would have been happier had he retrieved the ball and rushed back to the centre spot in hopes of an equaliser.
    Judging from the tone of Robinsons comments it sounds like he may have been "irritated" long before yesterday.

Aside from the lack of ability in some areas something wasn't right about the balance and attitude of the team this season.

Robinson has a big job on his hands to rebuild in the summer and given the budget available I just hope he is up to the challenge or next season will be another slog.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyG View Post
    Judging from the tone of Robinsons comments it sounds like he may have been "irritated" long before yesterday.

Aside from the lack of ability in some areas something wasn't right about the balance and attitude of the team this season.

Robinson has a big job on his hands to rebuild in the summer and given the budget available I just hope he is up to the challenge or next season will be another slog.
    We won't have a huge budget of course but it'll be in line with our rivals. There's also more cash available this season from various sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    We won't have a huge budget of course but it'll be in line with our rivals. There's also more cash available this season from various sources.
    There is more money this season but thats the same for all the clubs it isnt anything that gives us an advantage. We will of course have 4 old firm games at Fir Park next season so maybe some room to improve contracts for those that deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    There is more money this season but thats the same for all the clubs it isnt anything that gives us an advantage. We will of course have 4 old firm games at Fir Park next season so maybe some room to improve contracts for those that deserve it.
    You'd think too that Hibs will bring more fans to Fir Park than Inverness would, so on the basis of one home game against them that would bring in an additional £30k or so. Not a lot but it will help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)