+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FAO:leedsmiller

That list reflects the budget and spreading in thin to literally to fill squad shirts left vacant after NW's player cull.

Whether it was needed or not the number of players we needed was akin to an EVO pre-season.....but in the championship!

Add that squad - AND A LATE START...the players are as good as you could expect really.

All the "FOOTBALL PEOPLE" on here will recognise the players that went on sale and know full well how much ONE "CHAMPIONSHIP" player cost. I said before that our total spent represents about one leg of a "championship" player.

So the tactics were clear....the players selected were young ( to be moulded ) into a system of play....

And a touch of class ( Izzy ) was a masterstroke to be our quick counter attack miestro. And boy did it work.

Plug the holes in sloppy defending and points were there for the fighting for !

That explains the freebies and loaner. Especially when that 60% of wage budget was already spent....ffs....no wonder AS was concentrating on the games.

And Captain Kirk & Freck's crocked in the first week....

All those mitigating circumstances and the manager was sacked.....absolute madness - I had projects at home lasting longer than 13 weeks....folly!

Again the very players that let us all down have mainly gone but one has had another contract offerred.

The future of the club turned a corner from fighting to keep our championship status to total capitulation to a pathetic religation. Now with "Trial & Error" in charge we'll try and play third tier football to support as well as we can.

Really sorry I repeat......class it as self-healing for me........this was a really an important season for me and it's veiled with regrets....especially as I recognised the budget restraints - the players - loans brought in and appreciated every step.....and yet others see it the same way.....mmmmm

Bugger....

" £10m a season gone for a Burton and does any d*ckbrain diehard on here not believe that if we'd spent £5-7m pre-season we could have stayed up? "

If we had spent £5-7m we might have stayed up but would have been a further £5-7m in the red. TS is already putting money in each season. Where are you suggesting we would have got the £5-7 million from? Whoever invests that kind of money wants a return and with the size of the stadium (revenue coming it) and the wages in the Championship that kind of money doesn't go far at all. Lets say we bought a player for £1.5 million. They might also want 20k a week in wages, so that's another million a year gone. So we might have been able to get in a couple of good players for that sort of money and still no guarantee that we would stay up.

I thought you had given up on the Millers anyway. Shame you haven't given up with this board.

Absolutely Leeds...very high risk strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    During Boothy's 18 years we signed Alan Lee for 150k John Mullin for 150k and Lee Glover/Mike Jeffrey/Paul Blades for 100k each
    Last season we signed
    Taylor 500k
    Vaulks 440k
    Purrington 300k plus
    Fisher 250k
    Ball 250k
    Forde 200k
    Ajayi and Bray also commanded fees.

Not a lot by championship standards but huge by RUFC historical standards.
    I think you could probably say that at least £1 million of that was wasted because the players concerned are so inferior.
    And then if you add the likes of Forster-Caskey, Allan, Wilson and Blackstock to that list it's not hard to see that a huge chunk of the budget was wasted on garbage 😠

So inferior.....to what..?

That's so typical of the arguments surrounding this whole affair - yet you show an angry face.....

They may be inferior:

To the players you wanted....

To the players we needed....

To other truly "championship" players....

But they are good players for the budget we had and that pathetic 2 million pound had to be spread extremely thinly....

Understand that !

And the only angry face to show is:...

At the Budget....

At the club.....

At Warnock......

Stubbs had to spend wisely and he did. The players are the best we could afford but chosen specifically to play a defensive style of football as per Burton.

The players became undermined - in fact the whole season was undermined by KJ & PW trying to play expansive football when we had the players to do one thing - and one thing alone......

And that's copy Burton. Who stuck with their manager and survived. And parked the bus throughout.

Izzy - Adeyemi - Forde - Taylor - Fisher - Vaulks....performances have been ok but not good enough to go toe to toe with the big boys.

But drilled into a defensive group - after we had rid ourselves of the indigenous deadwood....we would have Ward still scoring with Izzy feeding him. ( who was on a full season loan )

The freebies.....Blackstock & Wilson were brought in the up the numbes as cover but the indigenous players were totally off the pace. But at the end of the window "options" start to diminish.

No the season started with one chance and Stubbs was it.....TS blew it from pressure from fans quoting possession stats.....Well read Burtons possession stats........a great many read 30% possession but taking 1 point here and 3 points there. As we should have done.

PS: The other players were on loan for God's sake.....with no money and under time pressure.... these were good signings if used properly....

That's the problem this season - after Stubbs left we didn't have a manager !
    PW dropped Izzy and KJ dropped him too and only played him in his last match at Leeds.....Chelsea loaned Izzy to Stubbs to play and under Stubbs he played every game....

When PW was crowned - Chelsea withdrew our star player.....that's a fact of life....but if you are angry - be angry at the budget- Warnock & TS for not knowing his football.....Oh and be angry the screaming fans who also - evidently - can't recognise the respected football tactics of the "underdogs" and that would be RUFC.

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    So inferior.....to what..?

That's so typical of the arguments surrounding this whole affair - yet you show an angry face.....

They may be inferior:

To the players you wanted....

To the players we needed....

To other truly "championship" players....

But they are good players for the budget we had and that pathetic 2 million pound had to be spread extremely thinly....

Understand that !

And the only angry face to show is:...

At the Budget....

At the club.....

At Warnock......

Stubbs had to spend wisely and he did. The players are the best we could afford but chosen specifically to play a defensive style of football as per Burton.

The players became undermined - in fact the whole season was undermined by KJ & PW trying to play expansive football when we had the players to do one thing - and one thing alone......

And that's copy Burton. Who stuck with their manager and survived. And parked the bus throughout.

Izzy - Adeyemi - Forde - Taylor - Fisher - Vaulks....performances have been ok but not good enough to go toe to toe with the big boys.

But drilled into a defensive group - after we had rid ourselves of the indigenous deadwood....we would have Ward still scoring with Izzy feeding him. ( who was on a full season loan )

The freebies.....Blackstock & Wilson were brought in the up the numbes as cover but the indigenous players were totally off the pace. But at the end of the window "options" start to diminish.

No the season started with one chance and Stubbs was it.....TS blew it from pressure from fans quoting possession stats.....Well read Burtons possession stats........a great many read 30% possession but taking 1 point here and 3 points there. As we should have done.
    Burton. They have a proper manager don't they and apparently a smaller budget than we had?
    We had someone who was hopelessly out of his depth, is still unemployed and is likely to remain so unless a struggling Scottish League 2 club gets desperate.

So is Mr Millwall....After what we did to Stubbs I would step very careful....

TS he didn't want any more salesmen - we'll it happened the other way round Tony.....you enticed Stubbs in with plans that any manager would buy into then pulled the plug and blamed the manager and not the club.....the club was in a complete mess pre-season and Stubbs did well with the resources he had. A very professional manager and it is RUFC to blame....Stubbs hardly put a foot wrong under intolerable circumstances...

This is how Tony played "Salesman"...but didn't deliver:

Rotherham United: Everton effect on Millers’ new training ground
    The site in Brinsworth awaiting development

13 June 2016

A 55-acre site, 10 full-size grass pitches, gymnasiums, swimming pools, physiotherapy rooms, a spa and a sauna.

They were new Rotherham United boss Alan Stubbs’ daily surroundings before he moved into management, so he knows better than most what a quality training ground should be like.

The Liverpudlian was a coach with Everton whose Finch Farm operation in Knowsley, Merseyside, is held up as a shining example of a top-class purpose-built facility.

Now, he is relishing the prospect of using what he learned with the Premier League side to help the Millers as they look to build a new training complex of their own.

Chairman Tony Stewart is planning to develop 14 acres of land he owns on Bawtry Road, Brinsworth, to give Rotherham an HQ that befits their Championship status.

Stubbs said: “That’s exciting for me as a manager and a coach. The club has the chance to design it and plan it from scratch.”

The centre will match the £15 million Everton HQ which opened in 2007 in everything but size and will be a far cry from the Millers’ current base at Roundwood where they have two pitches and some of their activities take place in portable buildings.

The Millers’ entire playing operation, from youth to first team, will be housed at the new complex which will undoubtedly help in attracting higher-calibre players to the club.

Stubbs’ knowledge will be an asset to his new employers as they embark on a project expected to take up to three years.

“I worked at Everton as a coach and they have a fantastic training facility, so I have some ideas already,” said the man who joined Rotherham earlier this month after two years managing Scottish FA Cup holders Hibernian.

“But we will be asking a lot of people’s opinions. We will be travelling to all the new training complexes to see what they offer and we’ll pick out the best bits and what’s most suitable for us.

“It’s a great position to be in. This is an the opportunity to build a bespoke facility that best fits the needs of the club.”

Among Finch Farm’s 10 pitches is one with floodlights while another is built to exactly the same dimensions as the one at Goodison Park where the Merseysiders play their home games There is also a floodlit synthetic surface

There is also a media centre and video lounges which house a video-editing suite.

Stewart built the Millers’ AESSEAL New York Stadium, which has won nothing but plaudits since it opened four seasons ago, and is aiming for similar standards with his latest venture.

“I like to think we got it right with New York,” he said. “And I’d like to think we’ll get it just as right with the new training ground as well.”

Rotherham rent Roundwood from Tata Steel, enjoy a close relationship with their landlord and are content to remain there while their new home is under development.

“The most important thing about Roundwood is that the pitches are very good,” Stubbs said. “We have other options for gyms and pools.”

As for "was hopelessly out of his depth"

These snippets from Everton and Hibs blogs prove Stubbs was very competent and knew how to turn us around - given the chance......Burton stuck by their manager and the tactics he chose without question.....as we should.

Does this sound like he out of his depth ?

"Likewise, Rotherham fans can expect a forensic focus on the back four.

It is no coincidence that Everton’s competence in defence evaporated when Stubbs abandoned his post as defensive coach to head north in 2014,

Nor that Hibs conceded the joint fewest goals in the Scottish Championship last season.

Speaking about bringing kids through:

Manchester United*and England captain*Wayne Rooney*says Alan Stubbs, the retired former Everton centre-back, is his “Jedi Master”, in a new video celebrating Star Wars. *

Discussing the film*Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Rooney said:

“If you look at me as a young player, my Jedi Master was certainly Alan Stubbs."

"He was someone I looked up to and still do.”

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    So is Mr Millwall....After what we did to Stubbs I would step very careful....

TS he didn't want any more salesmen - we'll it happened the other way round Tony.....you enticed Stubbs in with plans that any manager would buy into then pulled the plug and blamed the manager and not the club.....the club was in a complete mess pre-season and Stubbs did well with the resources he had. A very professional manager and it is RUFC to blame....Stubbs hardly put a foot wrong under intolerable circumstances...

This is how Tony played "Salesman"...but didn't deliver:

Rotherham United: Everton effect on Millers’ new training ground
    The site in Brinsworth awaiting development

13 June 2016

A 55-acre site, 10 full-size grass pitches, gymnasiums, swimming pools, physiotherapy rooms, a spa and a sauna.

They were new Rotherham United boss Alan Stubbs’ daily surroundings before he moved into management, so he knows better than most what a quality training ground should be like.

The Liverpudlian was a coach with Everton whose Finch Farm operation in Knowsley, Merseyside, is held up as a shining example of a top-class purpose-built facility.

Now, he is relishing the prospect of using what he learned with the Premier League side to help the Millers as they look to build a new training complex of their own.

Chairman Tony Stewart is planning to develop 14 acres of land he owns on Bawtry Road, Brinsworth, to give Rotherham an HQ that befits their Championship status.

Stubbs said: “That’s exciting for me as a manager and a coach. The club has the chance to design it and plan it from scratch.”

The centre will match the £15 million Everton HQ which opened in 2007 in everything but size and will be a far cry from the Millers’ current base at Roundwood where they have two pitches and some of their activities take place in portable buildings.

The Millers’ entire playing operation, from youth to first team, will be housed at the new complex which will undoubtedly help in attracting higher-calibre players to the club.

Stubbs’ knowledge will be an asset to his new employers as they embark on a project expected to take up to three years.

“I worked at Everton as a coach and they have a fantastic training facility, so I have some ideas already,” said the man who joined Rotherham earlier this month after two years managing Scottish FA Cup holders Hibernian.

“But we will be asking a lot of people’s opinions. We will be travelling to all the new training complexes to see what they offer and we’ll pick out the best bits and what’s most suitable for us.

“It’s a great position to be in. This is an the opportunity to build a bespoke facility that best fits the needs of the club.”

Among Finch Farm’s 10 pitches is one with floodlights while another is built to exactly the same dimensions as the one at Goodison Park where the Merseysiders play their home games There is also a floodlit synthetic surface

There is also a media centre and video lounges which house a video-editing suite.

Stewart built the Millers’ AESSEAL New York Stadium, which has won nothing but plaudits since it opened four seasons ago, and is aiming for similar standards with his latest venture.

“I like to think we got it right with New York,” he said. “And I’d like to think we’ll get it just as right with the new training ground as well.”

Rotherham rent Roundwood from Tata Steel, enjoy a close relationship with their landlord and are content to remain there while their new home is under development.

“The most important thing about Roundwood is that the pitches are very good,” Stubbs said. “We have other options for gyms and pools.”
    Yes I remember all that nonsense but it seems that TS has been living in cloud cuckoo land for a while now.
    However, don't forget that Burton don't have their own training ground but they still stayed up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast