+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAO:leedsmiller

FAO:leedsmiller

Forgive me for starting a new thread but I was worried that my response might get lost on the other thread. I would just like to say that your views and those of people like Lolmorgan have restored my faith somewhat. I was beginning to despair that all RUFC fans were simply forelock tugging, kowtowing Tony Stewart worshippers. Do they not appreciate what a disaster this man has orchestrated? They should listen to the managers and executives and football pundits concerned with the play-offs from L1 to the Championship. One of many statements: "Obviously it will be difficult for a smaller club to compete in the Championship. But staying there is a lot easier than getting there. We will do all it takes because for a club like ours we may never get the chance again - well not anytime soon."
    And, the fatheaded penny-pinching Tony Stewart threw it away without even making a decent fist of staying up. £10m a season gone for a Burton and does any d*ckbrain diehard on here not believe that if we'd spent £5-7m pre-season we could have stayed up?

So basically anyone who agrees with you is correct and anyone who doesn't is a dickbrain ?

**** and pig springs to mind.

Insecurity at its best bless ya

Tony Stewarts default setting is survival.

Any idiot can throw money at the championship and money can't buy success.

The one chance we had this season was to box clever - take it to 12 rounds and hope for a points win.

It wouldn't have been pretty.......
    ....relinquishing possession was not recognised as a higher level football tactic by the vast majority of fans....

......and no doubt TS sitting in his comfy chair will have seen the twin lines of defenders on the edge of our box not chasing the ball as strange....and with the
    ( what I consider total ignorance ) fans actually screaming at what they were seeing.....as just bad possession stats...

I still find that fact hard to believe on a football forum....lol

Given time Stubbs would have made us into a quality team and football set - up.

After everything that's been said this season - and I put my two penned in too no one has made a decent case why Stubbs was sacked early.....it was TS's fatal mistake this season.

Now we've got "Trial & Error" and no doubt a season of high energy combative - toe to toe football....great !

But I enjoyed the technical stuff under Stubbs and agreed with who was slow and who should be dropped - ready for release in the first window.

Stubbs was the best thing that happened to our club in living memory but his demise was due to the fact that everybody at the club - from board to the kop didn't appreciate the quality behind the philosophy.

I thought this club had grown up hiring Stubbs - but sadly we hadn't.

Only my opinion....

Yep and ONLY your opinion IBJ...nobody this side of pluto remotely thinks Stubbs was a good idea for RUFC.Why not argue that Rolymiller should be manger of RUFC you would have as much support on here...

Just for clarification, we spent over £2m in transfer fees last season, approx the same as the previous 35 seasons combined.

But beyond Pluto he's a STAR....

2 million to replace half the squad.....

During Boothy's 18 years we signed Alan Lee for 150k John Mullin for 150k and Lee Glover/Mike Jeffrey/Paul Blades for 100k each
    Last season we signed
    Taylor 500k
    Vaulks 440k
    Purrington 300k plus
    Fisher 250k
    Ball 250k
    Forde 200k
    Ajayi and Bray also commanded fees.

Not a lot by championship standards but huge by RUFC historical standards.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    During Boothy's 18 years we signed Alan Lee for 150k John Mullin for 150k and Lee Glover/Mike Jeffrey/Paul Blades for 100k each
    Last season we signed
    Taylor 500k
    Vaulks 440k
    Purrington 300k plus
    Fisher 250k
    Ball 250k
    Forde 200k
    Ajayi and Bray also commanded fees.

Not a lot by championship standards but huge by RUFC historical standards.

It's not money well spent though is it....quite worrying £2m on first division players

The list of signings - plus the host of freebies and loans - exemplifies the difficulty some of us had with last season. We were told at the outset there would be quality signings; that the revolving door policy of previous years was over; that lessons had been learnt; that the aim was to be competitive, to consolidate our position as a Championship club... All words without substance. And that's without adding other ridiculous statements about shopping at Harrods, play-offs and Premier League which were readily dismissed as pure fantasy.

Times change, salaries increase, transfer fees rise, players and fans demand improved facilities... If we genuinely wanted to live with the elite we needed to change, not in part but across the board. A new stadium, magnificent though it is, especially by our standards is simply not enough if salaries are not allowed to rise with demand and if we're not prepared to pay the going rate in transfer fees.

I'm not suggesting we should spend ourselves into administration I'm simply saying either put up or shut up.

The fees we paid and the players we bought last season wouldn't have been out of place in League 1. Which is precisely why we'll be plying our trade there next season. In three seasons we didn't buy one genuine, quality Championship player. How then could we be expected to survive?

None of this takes away from the fact that TS has been far and away the best thing that's happened to this club in my 60 years as a supporter. But his decision-making on almost every (non-stadium) front leaves much to be desired. At least he and I have one thing in common, we've both been extremely naïve. He in not comprehending the needs of the Championship and me in allowing myself to be badly misled by disingenuous club statements.

But it's easier to believe if you want to believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast