+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Season Review 2016/17 (1)

Season Review 2016/17 (1)

The season began with the revamped and renamed Betfred Cup in mid-July. Mark McGhee had reshaped the squad that had finished fifth in the previous season and set forth, as ever, ignorant of what was to come. - External Link

I remain convinced - based on nothing other than a hunch, I admit - that something happened in the winter break which made the players chuck it.

We were pretty dismal in the first half of the season to be sure but we were more than holding our own among the dross and, as the gritty results at ICT and Hamilton before NY showed, still fighting. The change to the start of the year, with surrender after surrender, was startling and too long to be written off as the predictable struggles of a poor team.

We were rank rotten all season but I agree things certainly got worse from January onward, with the 'turning point' for me being the Rangers cup tie in January and McGhee's ridiculous post match comments. He was noted for making stupid and ill timed remarks in the press which belittled everyone other than himself but that day he surpassed even himself when he said that he didn't give a monkeys about the players and basically threw the entire team under the bus.

From that point on until his departure after the Dundee thrashing a month later things just nosedived and McGhee seemed to ramp up his "look at me persona" by several notches.

As bad a season as we had and as much as I doubt Robinson is the answer, we are well shot of Mark McGhee from our club.

Aye, you could well be right that it was Ibrox rather than the break that did it.

Never wanted him back but Ibrox then the whole Aberdeen pumping and his antics embarrassed the club.

Overall poor season,a season of nothings and I hope the end to the jobs for the old guard is gone aswell.

I fear for next season looking at the players we have on the books I hope too god some can be shifted but with Lasley and Ainsworth offered terms fills me with same old.

Pass marks Moult,McHugh(make him captain)Cadden could do better.Rest would let them leave.Also well done to u20s and Crags that side of things seem to be going well at least.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)