+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Same old bull

Even our own released players are contracted till July so can't sign for anyone till then. Geez 5 more week of moans.
    Mexico how do you know the Stewart's are not willing to invest vast amounts? Up to the start of last season they had invested 38 million.
    How much do you think they should put in this season?
    Don't forget we have fair play rules to comply with.
    Others have mentioned revenue in championship was around 10 million where in league 1 it's around 4 million. Thats a large chunk of change to compensate for.
    Btw not looking to be either side of the fence just curious

So an interview with the media was done and printed about how many players Warney would like to fetch in.

Week or two later the club put a piece on web about how many players Warney would like to fetch in

How depressing is our club?

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Even our own released players are contracted till July so can't sign for anyone till then. Geez 5 more week of moans.
    Mexico how do you know the Stewart's are not willing to invest vast amounts? Up to the start of last season they had invested 38 million.
    How much do you think they should put in this season?
    Don't forget we have fair play rules to comply with.
    Others have mentioned revenue in championship was around 10 million where in league 1 it's around 4 million. Thats a large chunk of change to compensate for.
    Btw not looking to be either side of the fence just curious
    Clayton.... taking onboard the fact there's a massive 6 million pounds difference in revenue between leagues, don't you think it would have been at least worth investing say 2 million in better players to save the clubs championship status?

Take Gregory for instance, Millwall wanted a reputed 2 million, was it too much to pay? He bagged double figures again last season and helped millwall to promotion. Not saying had we bought him he would have bagged double figures but without dipping your toe you'll never know.

TS was happy to pay but the manager said no.

Bottom line is running a football team is one of the most extreme altruistic activities.

And yes - as some say - the money is in the bricks and mortar. Players are something else. Players ( as managers ) as tea ladies....you name it....they come the door and you realy don't know what your getting until they've recieved 'Player of the year'....

The vast majority underperform....are not handled properly ( which amounts to the same thing )

Budgets from now on will reflect income ( quite right ) so realistically we need to box clever - we have a half decent young squad - with championship experience..lol....but it will help them.

For the first time in 4/5 years we're cherry picking to "enhance" the squad NOT buying players wholesale like last year due to NW cull and EVO's yearly yard sales.

So patience 'Glass-Hopper' - Slowly Slowly catchy monkey !

Disclaimer: The above phrase is quoted as an old proverb and is in no way used as a derogatory description of any person dead or currently alive.

Thankyou...UTM

I'd take Evo's yearly yard sale players anytime as I know I'd be watching CHAMPIONSHIP football!

But Yak he was right to say NO

Agents and Millwall were taking the P155 and we had better at home....with Ward and JCH coming back as well.

2 million would have blown the budget on one player untested in the championship - ok Blackstock was also a risk but A FREE ONE....and he may well turn the lights on at NYS.

ALL last season is a tactical nightmare due to the fact the squad was brought in to play a certain way - I'll call it the BURTON WAY because it worked - If I call it the STUBBS WAY people go wappy but he needed two things for it to work:

1...Time - like Cloughie had.

2...Get rid of OLD ( old fashioned ) defenders.....

He had neither.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    But Yak he was right to say NO

Agents and Millwall were taking the P155 and we had better at home....with Ward and JCH coming back as well.

2 million would have blown the budget on one player untested in the championship - ok Blackstock was also a risk but A FREE ONE....and he may well turn the lights on at NYS.

ALL last season is a tactical nightmare due to the fact the squad was brought in to play a certain way - I'll call it the BURTON WAY because it worked - If I call it the STUBBS WAY people go wappy but he needed two things for it to work:

1...Time - like Cloughie had.

2...Get rid of OLD ( old fashioned ) defenders.....

He had neither.....lol
    Blackstock on a free but reputedly costing the club 1.5 million pounds in wages over the three year contract Stubbs gave him..,,, yes what a sound investment indeed.

The figures bandied about on here simply do not add up on any study of RUFC accounts. I can only assume the large figure for TS's investment includes spending on NYS? A look at Championship clubs' accounts would seem to show irrefutably that RUFC's spending on wages and transfer fees AS A PROPORTION OF INCOME was less than half the norm.

Tfb brun. Those figures branded about a few month back were figures for 2015/2016 season. No one knows what Stubbs spent last season with the exception of 2 million pound on buying fees. If wages were the same/sim in both seasons (2015/2016. & 2016/2017) the figures for the past season should be around 13 million.
    To then spend 2 million on Gregory, 650k on Bradshaw and 1 million on Bogle would have put us well into the red
    Plus would we have stayed up? At the time everyone was saying "I would sooner have Bradshaw over gregory. He's not exactly set the league on fire over at Barnsley. And if we had paid 2 million for Gregory his total in league one was 18. He would have struggled to get double figures in our team.
    The value from the 3 was Bogle. Still don't think he would have saved our season but he will be good in league 1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast