shopify analytics
+ Visit Notts. County FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lack of signings?

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    Whatever happened to the Matt Godden rumour? He ripped our Nolan-resurgent team apart at Stevenage and 20 goals in 33 appearances was very impressive. He was supposed to have had talks with us, Bristol Rovers and Bristol City but he hasn't signed for anyone yet.

Watched a lot of BT Sports Conference highlights programme last season and Ricky Miller (Dover) looked top draw but probably out of our budget. I'm not alone in being concerned about our ageing front line but I still think there is a good chance that Shola will re-sign.
    Ricky Miller signed for posh some time ago

Quote Originally Posted by pjace View Post
    Ricky Miller signed for posh some time ago
    Missed that one but I guess we couldn't begin to compete with Posh cash-wise, so a bit of a non starter - shame though!

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmypieback View Post
    A geriatric strike force and a defence consisting of Duffy, Hollis and Dickinson makes me think Nolan isn't setting himself an easy task if his aim is promotion!

But Hardy has said HE doesnt want promotion this year......

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    Whatever happened to the Matt Godden rumour? He ripped our Nolan-resurgent team apart at Stevenage and 20 goals in 33 appearances was very impressive. He was supposed to have had talks with us, Bristol Rovers and Bristol City but he hasn't signed for anyone yet.

Watched a lot of BT Sports Conference highlights programme last season and Ricky Miller (Dover) looked top draw but probably out of our budget. I'm not alone in being concerned about our ageing front line but I still think there is a good chance that Shola will re-sign.
    Probably weighing up his options
    Why would he leave Stevenage for Notts or any other L2 side unless they were to pay stupid wages
    Surprised Stags havent signed him !

Would be a great signing for us though and re-vitalise the feel good factor which seems to have diminished somewhat ?

Experience has taught me not to get too worked up over new signings or lack of new signings.

If we take the field for the opening game with 10 men I'll start to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Source?

No point in going to matches then.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Source?

Radio Nottm a couple of weeks ago.....

Radio Nottm a couple of weeks ago.....
    So basically he's sold a bunch of season tickets based on improved budget, and saying we're going to have a proper go at it, got everyone reeled in and then changed the target? Well he's going to be disappointed when all these new season ticket sales don't turn up the season after then

I don't believe the target had ever been changed has it? The aim was always to stabilise the club this season and to try and be around the playoffs come January time, then have a push in the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmypieback View Post
    So basically he's sold a bunch of season tickets based on improved budget, and saying we're going to have a proper go at it, got everyone reeled in and then changed the target? Well he's going to be disappointed when all these new season ticket sales don't turn up the season after then
    Wait for some trolling from Keldyke who'll call you a bed wetter, probably have to wait until they're drunk though

I don't think AH really believes that.

More likely it was an off the cuff comment to manage the expectations of fans so that we don't get carried away and ultimately disappointed again

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I don't think AH really believes that.

More likely it was an off the cuff comment to manage the expectations of fans so that we don't get carried away and ultimately disappointed again
    No, He said this season would be a season for consolidation. Also, he said he wouldnt like to go up automatically and would like to get to Wembley via the play-offs.. KN was with him in the studio at the time of these comments...

No, He said this season would be a season for consolidation. Also, he said he wouldnt like to go up automatically and would like to get to Wembley via the play-offs.. KN was with him in the studio at the time of these comments...
    If you're talking about their appearance on "Matchtalk" together with Charlie Slater towards the end of the season it was Nolan that was saying promotion next season might be too soon and that we'd be in danger of coming straight back down again, or struggling, because there's a lot of things that need putting in place which will take time. Hardy on the other hand was saying that he did think promotion was achievable next season.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If you're talking about their appearance on "Matchtalk" together with Charlie Slater towards the end of the season it was Nolan that was saying promotion next season might be too soon and that we'd be in danger of coming straight back down again, or struggling, because there's a lot of things that need putting in place which will take time. Hardy on the other hand was saying that he did think promotion was achievable next season.
    That wasnt the one...

Agree with the above, Some on here think we should be going hell for leather for promotion (like Mansfield) after the past 2, 3 seasons the club needs to stabilise,with good use of the transfer windows could see us knocking on the door of the playoffs this season.

I think every season we are in this league without getting promoted should be classed as failure.

"Consolidation" can wait for League 1.

What matters is who takes to the field in the first game in August. That is seven weeks away.

In the Moniz close season we signed was it 17 players? Look how that turned out.

It might not be inspiring to some that we have resigned players like Hewitt, Duffy, Hollis etc... but I am confident that Kevin Nolan will get the best out of them as he did during the time he was here from Jan onwards last season. Let's remember that we did display playoff form for all but the time we were safe. So there is no reason why this cannot be repeated for this coming season.

The one positive of not making wholesale changes is that these players know each other all ready and have spent the past few months of last season working under Nolan. So we don't have to go through the process of players and management settling in which is unusual for Notts.

Contacts don't end until the end of the month. I'd imagine we may make any signings before training resumes and could stil maybe sign players during pre-season which is what we did in the Munto season.

Let's just relax, have trust and faith and be patient and see what happens between now and August.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I think every season we are in this league without getting promoted should be classed as failure.

"Consolidation" can wait for League 1.
    Going by attendance figures and what the club has achieved in the not-too-distant past compared to other L2 clubs, it certainly is a failure. However, in the immediate aftermath of what has just happened under the Trews (and the Trust before that), somewhere between 8th and 12th would be acceptable. Just below half-way would be disappointing, bottom 3rd would be worrying.

I think the division will be weaker than last season. Pompey, Plymouth and Doncaster would have almost certainly taken top 7 places next season had they not gone up. Of the teams coming down, I'm not sure any of them will be serious contenders. Cov have still got a lot of serious problems. Vale and Chesterfield are yo-yo clubs at this level but are by no means dead-certs to go straight back up.
    Luton, Stags and Swindon will probably take 3 of the 7 promotion places but the other 4 are definitely up for grabs.

My question is.... Why is it always Hardy's name in headlines when new players are mentioned, doesn't Nolan get a say....????

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast