+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Nuno.

Welcome Nuno.

Email received from the club:-

Wolves are delighted to announce the arrival of Nuno Espirito Santo as the club’s new Head Coach.

Nuno takes over in the Molineux hotseat after guiding Porto to a second placed finish last season, and the last 16 of the Champions League.

Prior to that the 43-year-old spent 18 months at Valencia where he guided them to a fourth placed finish.

A goalkeeper capped at Portugal Under-21 level in his playing days, Nuno started his coaching career with Rio Ave, taking them to the Portuguese Cup and League Cup semi finals, and the Europa League for the first time in the club’s history.

Also arriving with Nuno are three new coaches as part of a revamped Wolves’ backroom staff.

Rui Pedro Silva arrives as assistant head coach, Rui Barbosa as goalkeeping coach and Antonio Dias as fitness coach.

Wolves main director Jeff Shi says: “I first got to know Nuno two years ago, and, at that time, we hadn’t taken over Wolves.
    “But when talking to him, I was impressed by his football tactics.

“Since the very beginning of the Wolves project, Fosun has been very clear on our strategic thinking and philosophy, and has huge ambition and confidence to achieve our goals.

“In a sense, we are very glad to find Nuno with a football philosophy that is similar to ours.
    “He has an impressive track record in the top divisions in Spain and Portugal, and took Porto to the knockout stages of the Champions League last season.

“We are all looking forward to working with Nuno and his staff, and are excited about what he can achieve with Wolves as we go into the new season and beyond.”

Wolves would like to welcome Nuno and the new backroom team to Molineux and wish them well in their respective roles.

Nuno will be introduced to the media at a press conference tomorrow morning.
    For more as it happens visit wolves.co.uk

I am excited. He's done a decent job everywhere he's been. English Championship is a different animal in terms of parity, but I think he will be up for it. Speaks solid English from what I've read and has worked with UK coaches before, so I think that'll help in the transition.

Last season was a wasted year. Fosun wanted to bring in Julen Lopetegui for the first season. Jackett was a dead man walking, so when Lopetegui took the Spain job, we were caught with our pants down. No reason to have a lame duck coach, so Fosun hastily went with Zenga, who was obviously never up to the job despite his passion and obvious love for Wolves. That experiment failed and we ended up with Lambert, who since he has got here has had built in excuses. Other than the defeat of two Prem teams in the FA Cup and the five match winning streak, I found Lambert a bore. And didn't fulfill any of the promise I had when he first came. Many will say he only had six months on the job, but in modern footy, that's a long time. It's his own fault if he didn't understand how transfers would work here IMO. Everyone could see the that Mendes would have a heavy hand in transfers.

In comes Nuno, who more resembles the Lopetegui appointment than Zenga. This is not a last ditch effort at a new coach, and I don't understand people comparing him to Zenga who was a journeyman who has probably worked at more clubs than matches won. He will know Mendes' pool of players and I imagine is familiar with Costa and Cavaleiro. I don't expect miracles in the first season, but I think we'll be more fun to watch and I don't foresee a disaster. I'm looking at it as a one year delay in Fosun's original plan.

But for all I know, he'll lose his first 10 matches and we'll be looking to hire Steve McClaren or Owen Coyle in October.

Very happy

He sounds like something out of the feckin Exorcist.

Good luck though.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf View Post
    He sounds like something out of the feckin Exorcist.

Good luck though.
    But hopefully not the end of the last rites!

Just wondering what (positive) impact these appointments may have regarding Helder Costa staying or going?

Am I excited by our New Head Coach? not particularly, is he any good? I don't know yet, will we be signing loads of geezers Iv'e never heard of? almost certainly, will he get us promoted,in my opinion unlikely, but anyway welcome to Wolves Nuno and good luck, because going on the previous foreign managers/head coaches with no English League experience we've tried you are going to need ALL you can get!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65 View Post
    Am I excited by our New Head Coach? not particularly, is he any good? I don't know yet, will we be signing loads of geezers Iv'e never heard of? almost certainly, will he get us promoted,in my opinion unlikely, but anyway welcome to Wolves Nuno and good luck, because going on the previous foreign managers/head coaches with no English League experience we've tried you are going to need ALL you can get!!
    Got to agree with you really mate, but deep down inside I think, I hope, that this may be the real thing. Will we calapult up the table to storm the Prem, no. But maybe he will get us playing decent football instead of the pure dross we have seen the last 4-5 years. A bit of self respect and a touch of optimism is what we are looking for now.

COMB!!!

Interview with Nuno. Doesn't reveal much but you can understand what he says and, for what it is worth, he seems like a charming and pleasant man. I certainly warmed to him and, with his track record, I am very optimistic.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport...view---watch-/

Very, very impressive. Obviousley intelligent and articulate, in English! For gods sake he was easier to understand than Lambert! I get more hopefull by the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)