+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O.T. It was fifty years ago today...

O.T. It was fifty years ago today...

...that the Beatles released Sgt. Pepper. Can't believe that...still got my copy and just out of interest...assuming you were born, what were you doing...was DCFC a factor in your life then...and how much of an impact did that album have on music/you?

I imagine in June 1967 I would have been doing some sort of school exams during the day and looking forward to my upcoming birthday in a week's time. When not studying I suppose I would be doing what every 11 year old does - masturbation, listening to the test match on a smuggled in radio and refusing to admit a lack of ability at tennis on the school grass courts.

DCFC was simply a long distance relationship followed on the pages of Shoot and the various newspapers.

How much impact did the album have on me - probably very little directly as music was still not a great part of my life - but obviously it influenced many musicians that I subsequently was in to. Never owned the album, not sure that I have ever even listened to the whole thing, but must have heard it in bits. I have to confess here that I was never a huge Beatles fan - much more into the Stones, the Who, the Kinks, the Small Faces. Besides which, to an approximate 10 year old that we may have been at the time, I suspect the subtle nuances of the album were lost anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I would be doing what every 11 year old does - masturbation, listening to the test match on a smuggled in radio and refusing to admit a lack of ability at tennis on the school grass courts.
    That's quite a mix for a lunch time habit, thank god it's half term!

I never really got into The Beatles, and now they just remind me of countless sight reading exercises. However, I am not as old as you rA so I'll have to ask my parents

'That's quite a mix for a lunch time habit, thank God it's half term!' Lol...Brilliant.

Nothing changes then...heh Rog?
    Actually our experiences of that era do seem remarkably similar even though I am just a little older...don't look it though.

Loved all those bands you mention and I think 'Beggars Banquet' came out the same year...another favourite from the collection.

"...Satanic Majesty..." was 1967: Beggars Banquet late 1968

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    "...Satanic Majesty..." was 1967: Beggars Banquet late 1968
    I stand corrected...Leonard Cohen's first album, Disraeli Gears, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Surrealistic Pillow and Forever Changes all amongst the 1967 releases...all favourites, what a wonderful year it must have been.

Not to mention Axis Bold As Love, Are you Experienced, The Andy Warhol Album, Safe as Milk, Absolutely Free, John Wesley Harding: a good year

Cor Blimey I was just listening to their songs without realising today's significance.
    I dunno which of their songs would be ranked top, but for me it would be I want to hold your hand.
    Last edited by Romanis; 01-06-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    That's quite a mix for a lunch time habit, thank god it's half term!

I never really got into The Beatles, and now they just remind me of countless sight reading exercises. However, I am not as old as you rA so I'll have to ask my parents
    Woohoo, how can one not be into The Beatles? Even present day kids think they're awesome. Their music transcends generations

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Woohoo, how can one not be into The Beatles? Even present day kids think they're awesome. Their music transcends generations
    It's all subjective, I was / am more influenced by 50's rock 'n' roll which the Beatle's were of course a later reincarnation of, but they just don't push my buttons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)