+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Changed

What's Changed

The feel good factor has certainly been carried over from the end of the season by Big Dave, long may it continue. He certainly backs his words up with action. But what has changed, is it the losening of the purse strings by the board, are we going to have a smaller but more well paid squad, or is it all down to our managers selling of himself and the club and facilities. Don't remember players turning down contracts at their club in favour of coming to us instead, unheard of. Thoughts.

Well I guess it helps Dave's recruitment that a larger than usual number of our top earners have left over the past 12 months (Lowe, Davis, Guthrie, Hollands, Turton, Nugent possibly Ray) as well as Bingham, Saunders and a couple of others. We haven't had to pay a fee for any of the 3 signings, other than a signing-on fee maybe, so even if the budget isn't much bigger he has had more flexibility. I also suggest that the younger players, being a year older and better, has made it easier for Dave to identify where the big gaps in the team are and the gaps he needs to fill.

What has impressed me more is that he has clearly assessed the existing squad, decided who to release and identified his target signings early. Whether he has got his first choices or not we will never know, but he is happy with making such early decisions, as should we be. A couple more to come, I suspect (3 if Ray decides to leave) and maybe a loan player or two to supplement the attacking options and we're good to go.

Happy (or happier!) days.

Unless he is giving up football as a career, George Ray cannot decide to leave unless another club decides to risk a tribunal fee.

Can anyone see that happening?

I understand that Ray plus his agent may want to look out for another deal but who is going to blink 1st? DA cannot rely on him still being around at the beginning of the season and so would have to consider making a move. This would then mean we wouldn't need him. Then if nobody comes in for him with a fee then bye bye George, you need to take up basketball!

George Ray another one badly advised by an agent whose only concern is money and not the future development of his client.

Ray should remember Moore and Colclough running back for a further one year deal before moving on.

The big problem with having gone out and made three seemingly good signings early on is that I am now hungry for more news. The official site is slow just releasing snippets of a single interview with Lenny. As I don't do social media I'm not privvy to the bits of chat from various football sources.... so if anyone wants to pass any gossip/news on...!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    The big problem with having gone out and made three seemingly good signings early on is that I am now hungry for more news. The official site is slow just releasing snippets of a single interview with Lenny. As I don't do social media I'm not privvy to the bits of chat from various football sources.... so if anyone wants to pass any gossip/news on...!
    Well according to the OS Lunty is not going to make any “predication” for next season

Does anybody at the club ever read or check this rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    Well according to the OS Lunty is not going to make any “predication” for next season

Does anybody at the club ever read or check this rubbish?
    They probably just don't care.
    Look at the club programme:apparently we got promoted in 1964...or is that yet another of Harold's errors?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast